Dilemma choosing between: Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 DI vs Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 II

patrickgenovese

<p>Hi Everyone<br>

I would like to add a 70-200 f/2.8 zoom to my lens lineup and as a pentax user my only real choices are:<br>

a) Tamron AF70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) Macro<br>

http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/70200_di.asp<br>

or<br>

b) Sigma APO 70-200mm F2.8 II EX DG MACRO HSM<br>

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3340&navigator=3</p>

<p>Unfortunately It is not possible for me to try out these lenses as my only readily available source is ordering on-line.<br>

From what I can learn by reading reviews and some user opinions It looks like that from an Optical point of view the Tamron is Superior to the Sigma. On the other hand the Sigma focuses faster due to an HSM AF motor and also provides quick shift manual focusing. From what I can see the sigma also appears to lock on a bit faster than the Tamron.<br>

My current DSLR body is a K10D.<br>

My questions....<br>

Is the Sigma unusable at f/2.8 ? Or will a little Unsharp Mask cure the "softness"<br>

How much slower is the tamron on a K10D body.. I have a number of traditional screw drive pentax lenses and they focus quite well on the K10D. Is hunting an issue ? Does the tamron have a focus limiter switch.<br>

How much better is the tamron optically. I'm not really interested in numbers but rather real life shots.<br>

Thank you in advance for any feed back<br>

Regards<br>

Patrick</p>

<p>I got the Sigma and had some difficulty getting used to it at first but it's really impressed me lately. I've gotten some impressively sharp shots wide open. I gather the Tamron is a good performer, too. <br>

I look at this like the decision between the Tamron 90mm and the Sigma 105mm: you can agonize all you want but, either way, you're gonna get a good lens.</p>

<p>If you are in North America with ready access to online stores that have fair return policies, I would recommend you consider purchasing both lenses. Test them out in your usual ways and return the loser. It may cost you a bit of money for shipping, but you are ensuring that you have purchased the lens that best meets your needs.</p>

<p>ME</p>

<p>I had the Tamron in Nikon mount and it was a dud, mechanically that is. It didn't focus almost at all. Wasn't that it was slow, it was almost unable to focus.</p>

<p>Replaced it with a Sigma (again in Nikon) and it worked fine.</p>

<p>I did do some manual focus shots with the Tamron (had no choice) and it was fine, I've of course shot a lot more with the Sigma, and it's a very good lens. And it focuses FAST.</p>

<p>The Tamron seemed good aside from the faulty focusing, but I guess it worked out. With rebate I ended up with the Sigma for about $450, which was $300 less than the Tamron. Now if I could just land a K mount Sigma 70-200 for $450 I'd be set.</p>

<p>So Andrew, please enlighten me how the retailer is “suffering” from the practice I recommended? I’m not interested in the manufacturer’s suffering in this context because they have a separate business relationship with the retailer that’s not direct to me as a consumer.<br>

I would recommend you check the return policies of one of the largest online retailers as it pertains to photo equipment: the requirement is “new condition.” That doesn’t mean unopened.<br /> The practice of purchasing two lenses has been recommended to me twice, actually. Once by a local, independently owned retailer; the second time by a phone sales rep of the above online retailer.<br>

As a consumer, my goal is to lower my risk of spending $800 on a product and if I can do that according to stated policy, then it’s to my benefit. The retailer also benefits: they get to sell not only one product but two. There’s a chance that I’ll keep both, or one lens will get stolen, damaged, or forgotten about. And my cash flow is improved as a retailer. Not to mention that I’ll have a continuing relationship with the company as a consumer, especially if there are no hassles.<br /> Returns are indeed costly, but operational costs like these are built into the pricing structure.<br>

ME</p>

<p>I normally don't like to spend to much time debating and recommending lenses because often, it is my opinion we add confusion. ME advice is not bad. I have done that in the past. I first bought the Sigma lens and it was simply useless wide open. Even samples I have seen online are for the most part useless. So I returned it to B&H and bought the Tamron and have not looked back since. It is optically a better lens for me and wide open is not a problem. I also have the Sigma 100-300F/4 that is sharp as a tack wide ipen, which was another reason to send back the 70-200F/2.8 i had that was sharp at F/4.0.....</p>

<p>Now from what I have read and heard, the older Sigma 70-200 F/2.8 apo lenses are the sharpest of the lot...but the owners who have them know that and are selling for a mint. The FA80-200 is also King, but also cost a kings ransom...</p>

<p>Oh as far as shooting sports, no problem. I shoot race cars and such and no problem what so ever.<br>

Do not be afraid to shot at ISO 640 (EVEN IN THE DAY) and wide open, Those fast shutter speeds are your friend. You will fine tune the exposer with the EV button. Chances are you will be at -.3 to maybe even -2.0...Check your histogram and you will be fine.</p>

<p>This seems like another case of you have to try both. Javier says the Tamron doesn't hunt. Bart Hickman on DPR says it does and the Sigma HSM is the first lens he's gotten that works w/ Pentax's AF-C.<br>

I'm in the same boat. I'm pretty sure the Tamron is much sharper than the Sigma, but also think the Sigma HSM hunts less in low light...</p>

<p>Michael, I wasn't suggesting that it was violating the retailer's policies. I suspect though that these returns end up being returned to the manufacturer and going forward only sold as refurbished. I don't know who bears the greater expense for this, the manufacturer or retailer--though it may be considered a cost-of-doing business for manufacturers as well and built into their pricing. There's something about the wastefulness of this practice that tends to rub me the wrong way...but I should probably lighten up on this matter (if not take advantage of it myself) as given most of these companies QC issues and the difficulty and expense of getting decent warranty service it may actually be the best way of getting a satisfactory copy. And I find it interesting that the industry people themselves would actually recommend the practice to you--I guess if it was THAT much trouble they wouldn't--they must consider customer retention to be an even bigger concern.</p>

<p>Andrew,<br>

Having worked in the corporate side of a retail and manufacturing business that has incentive programs for floor and direct sales staff, I see how from a sales perspective it's all about product turnover. If salesperson X can obtain a bonus by flipping so many lenses per month, then you betcha they'll encourage me to purchase two or more lenses to check out. In some companies returns are handled by another department or are debited against one's sales a while later.</p>

<p>Heck, I remember several years ago after test driving a new vehicle, the salesman got out of the car and simply suggested that I keep the SUV through the weekend so I could really see how it met my needs. And I did, and even purchased the vehicle--but from another dealer who gave me a better price!</p>

<p>ME</p>

<p>I went through the same thought process, research and dilemmas that you are posing now, with the exact lenses...then I listened to the helpful folks in here and took their advice, 'just do it'. After days and hours of scouring the web for info, reviews, sample images, etc...I had enough.</p>

<p>I bought the Tamron from Norman Camera, used it for an entire day, and took it back in the morning to exchange it with the Sigma--with no problems or questions at all. As a matter of fact when I walked in, and before I said anything at all, the clerk said, "too slow for you and you want the Sigma?"</p>

<p> I found a completely different experience with the hunting issues on the Tamron. The Tamron had a VERY difficult time focusing on football players under the lights and even had a difficult time with stationary people in lower light. It drove me NUTS! Maybe it was a bad copy, who knows, but I used the Sigma the very next night under the very same conditions and did not have a single issue, nor have I since. But, that is only my experience and I am sure you have discovered everything I discovered when I was in your position which is...<em>there is no definitive answer on which lens is better!</em></p>

<p>My initial reason for purchasing the Tamron was the $$, $100 less and the warranty was ridiculous and hard to pass up...if I remember it was something like 6 years? A very hard offer to pass on but I am very happy with the Sigma. I used it on the K20. I really don't think it will matter too much what brand you choose. If what you are using makes you happy, then you have the right one and if you can't find a retailer willing to exchange it after a day or two, then I would look elsewhere.</p>

<p>At first I was afraid this thrtead was going to recall the extended interminable Ford/Chevy debates that swirled around me during my Army basic training (perhaps the most greuling aspect of my otherwise astonishingly benign draftee's tour of duty) but it's been very enlightening. <br>

I think that maybe HSM takes some getting used to--it's almost too fast--and I find I get better results hand-holding the Sigma (or on mono-pod) than on a with the remote on a tripod. I also hedge my bets by taking several versions of a shot, re-focusing each time. The true test will be during the lacrosse season.</p>

<p>Attn: Sigma Users... Would anyone be kind enough to post some shots from the sigma preferably at the wider apertures f/2.8 -> 4 at the longer focal lenghts (100mm -> 200mm) with 100% crops...<br>

To be honest i'm leaning towards the Sigma beause there seems to be a general consensus that the AF is faster (unless you get a lemon, but there is warranty for that).... <br>

Also I do a fair amount of theatre photography where the near silent AF on the sigma is a welcome bonus. So if the IQ of the sigma is "good enough" albeit inferior to the Tamron I will probably opt for the Sigma.<br>

Thank you for all your input.<br>

Patrick</p>

• 3 months later...

<p>I can't choose one of those lens. I want to buy tamron but I worry about true focusing (hunt). I don't need very quick focus. I don't interested in silent. If I should be sure that tamron can true focus I'll buy now.<br>

I'm waiting for more experience from tamron users (with pentax)</p>