Minolta Zoom Lens

<p>Hello,</p>

<p>I am not sure where to post this...sorry in advance if this is the wrong place and thanks in advance if a moderator has to move this post.<br /> I AM NOT TRYING TO SELL HERE - I just want to know where to sell.</p>

<p>My dad has a 75-200mm 4.5 minolta zoom lens that is in pristine condition - it is in the original packaging even, with the original price sticker on it and everything. The foam protection ring is still in place around the lens and it has a UV filter, I forgot the brand on the filter but it is top of the line, and the lens has a hood.<br /> He wants to sell it, and I was wondering where the best place is to post such a lens. He also has an all metal body - also minolta- -that he would like to sell. I don't have any of the body specs on hand. He has a couple of other lenses as well, again I am lacking the specs on those too, but I know that isn't necessary, since I am not trying to sell here...</p>

<p>Where is the best place to post this information?</p>

<p>Thanks in advance!<br /> :)<br /> ~Kira</p>

<p>There is a classified ad section here on photo.net. Also, you can try selling on e-bay. </p>

<p>As for how much he can sell the lens and camera for, the prices are pretty low. You can search for current listings of the camera and lens on e-bay to get an idea.</p>

<p>I've never sold on e-bay, but have bought a few cameras and lenses there. What I look for in an ad is a clear and complete description - make sure you disclose any scratches, dings etc. in your ad. (As a buyer, I tend to trust a seller who discloses a minor defect much more than one whose entire description reads "L@@K!!!! Minty!!!) </p>

<p>Also, make sure there are multiple, large sharp photos of the items. Make sure you include photos of the original packaging, filters, etc. Many people won't bid on an item with a single, small, fuzzy photo.</p>

<p>Thanks Ken, for both the tips and the information about the classifieds here, I looked for something like that under the Forums tab, I didn't check the others, but I found it under Equipment. <br>

I especially appreciate the selling tips, it really is in perfect condition though. :) <br>

Thanks again. </p>

<p>As indicated already, manual lenses are not worth much these days unless they are one of a very small number of lenses considered "classic" in some way. Such things are early Leica or Nikon rangefinder lenses, as a couple of examples.<br /> Of manual lenses in general, the Nikon SLR mount ones usually bring a little more than some others, but even there the older Nikon non-AI lenses don't usually sell for much.<br /> Minolta is out of the camera business now, but there are a few people still shooting things like the SRT-101, etc. So it's not like there is no market at all, but even so, the prices will be modest. Ditto for the camera body. The digital and auto-focus revolution in photography has made the older film cameras and lenses as obsolete as vinyl records, loved mostly by retro-nostalgia folks.</p>

<p>Oh, so then not all 'vintage' stuff is 'classic' in terms of worth...darn. </p>

<p>I don't know what he wants to get for them, but I offered to ask around here because eBay seemed too obvious a place to go, I wanted a specific audience, like photographers! ;)</p>

<p>I thought the lenses would go fo a little more since the Sony DSLR's can use them (at least some can) but I didn't expect a lot for the body - although being all metal, I thought that would be cool (classic) since bodies today are plastic.</p>

<p>Thanks for the information - very helpful! :)</p>

<p>Kira<br>

The people who replied have assumed that your lens has the older type of Minolta fitting called MD, if so their remarks are correct. Around 1987 Minolta introduced a completely new lens mount to allow for their new autofocus system. It is these lenses called Maxxum, Dynax or A (Alpha) which will work with all the Sony digital SLR's. And yes, if your lens is of this type it could be worth quire a bit more.<br>

The easy way to tell the difference is to have a look at the lens mount (where the lens connects on to the camera). If there are a number of gold electrical contacts it is as autofocus lens and will work with the Sonys. If not it is an MD lens and won't fit.<br>

If you can look at the camera and give the model name or number it would help.</p>

<p>I had one ad I remembered that said Minty! all over it. I asked the guy if he licked it, and was it more like peppermint or spearmint. My annoyance for those type of ads is immense. I never buy anything from anyone like that. To me, they all look like hustlers with their ridiculous verbiage.</p>

<p>P.S. I think the 75-200 is an MD mount lens from the late '70s. They replaced it with a 70-210, which carried over to the Maxxum/Dynax line.</p>