Gimbal Heads: CB vs Mongoose 3.5

brad_n

<p>I am looking to upgrade to a gimbal head for shooting birds. I've seen the CB Gimbal and it looks to be all that you could ask for in construction quality and precision $580. Arthur Morris flouts the Mongoose 3.5 at 500. I am currently using a Pentax k20D, DA*300, Sigma 50-500, but naturally I have dreams of larger lenses.<br>

Does anyone have experience with these two heads? Opinions and advice?</p>

<p>If you are thinking about long lens, get a Wimberly and you're done. CB and Mongoose have too many joints and therefore can not be as good as one piece like the Wimberly. They can be good for traveling though, beccause they can be taken apart for space.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I have the Mongoose and Sidekick (couldn't decide) and am currently using a friends Full Wimberly. In my experience the Full Wimberly is the best, second is the Sidekick. But, for travelling the Mongoose is best. Art Morris can get sharp images using the Mongoose and an 800mm lens (I was at Bosque and saw him using it). The Mongoose is basically one single piece, it doesn't break down into smaller pieces, but it is so much lighter to carry around. You do have to adapt your long lens technique a little, but all of these heads will do the job.<br>

Try before you buy - if you can.</p>

• 6 months later...

<p>Well, if you did need a little more in the way of construction and precision, check out the 3.5 lb. Jobu BWG Pro. I'm using one to support a D300 / Sigma 300-800. It's a beefy one piece casting with a large mounting area and a vertical lock out switch. You can dial in any amount of smooth drag using the large rubber knobs. This might be overkill for your current lenses. Unfortunately, I've noticed their price has increased since my purchase. <br>

http://www.paulburwell.com/blog/2009/05/bwg-pro-gimbal-head-video-review/?wscr=1344x840</p>

Malcolm