LED backlighting versus CCFL (advice pls on monitor purchase)

<p>Hello all,<br /> My inverter board has just failed on my 4 year old 23" Apple cinema display and it's time for a new monitor ($500 for the repair). I do not plan on purchasing another Apple display. Did quite a bit of research and have settled on one of the following:</p>

<ol>

<li>HP Dreamcolor LP2480zx</li>

<li>NEC 2690WUXi2</li>

<li>Dell 2408 WFP</li>

</ol>

<p>You might be asking why I would even consider the Dell. So here's where I need advice.<br /> I have a $2000 budget for photography equipment this year. Either I can get the Dreamcolor at $1999 with no money left over, the NEC with about $900 left over, or the Dell with $1500 left over. I would like to purchase 2 additional Profoto Compacts this year to expand my light setup to 4 Profotos. So with the Dell (and maybe even the NEC) I can stretch to get a pair of Profotos (they are on sale). If I get the HP, I cannot get the Profotos, but I need a display NOW and the additional lights, while important, are not a necessity. <br /> Here are my questions:</p>

<ul>

<li>Is the HP the front-end of a wave of "affordable" color-critical LED backlit LCD's, and will we see dramatic price reductions in the coming year or so? Anything else cool on the horizon (i.e. NEC)? In this case, I will get the Dell to limp along, and wait a year or two to purchase an LED-backlit display. The Dell can always become a "palette and brush" monitor. </li>

<li>Or is the HP going to be a great deal for a couple years to come, and arguably the best diplay out there in this price range?The temporary price reduction to $1999 from HP is quite tempting. In this case I buy the HP. </li>

<li>Or is the difference between the CCFL backlight on the NEC and the LED on the HP negligable enough that I should make a 4 year investment in the NEC? This monitor was my definite choice until I heard about the HP being on sale. </li>

</ul>

<p>A quick note -- most of the "color-critical" work I do is for interactive design applications (web, UI, etc). I am just getting into photo/print work where I really will need a high-end display (i.e. NEC, HP, Eizo). If this gives any perspective—the cinema display has been fine (so far) for my applications, so if need be, I can survive with the Dell although it would NOT be ideal. should add that I currently have the Eye-One Display 2 hardware system. <br /> Thanks for reading and I hope you all can add some clarity to the situation.<br>

<br /> -P</p>

<p>I think the LED monitors are due for significant price drops in the next year or so - you're just starting to see them widely available. Unless your eyes are sensitive to the flickering of CCFL lights, I think you will get more mileage going that route for the time being, provided that you would have a use for it after getting the LED backlit monitor - otherwise it feels like a waste of money. Also, your next to last paragraph reads to me like you wouldn't be sacrificing something with the Dell, just not gaining anything.</p>

<p>Dreamcolor has some interesting technology, but I don't think its ready for prime time yet based on reports from a group of color geeks who've purchased one. Plus its not designed for photo work (soft proofing) but film work (it was designed by HP and DreamWorks the film studio). The minimum contrast ratio is way too high IMOH (nearly 1000:1). <br>

The 2690 with their SpectraView II software is excellent. Had one for a about two years. But you DO want to bundle with their software and get a supported colorimeter if you don't have one. <br>

Keep in mind, there's LED and there's LED. A tri color LED has some significant advantages such as the ability to actually alter the white point. White LED displays (Apple as an example) provide no real advantages other than longer life and less power usage. And LEDs really need either tuned Colorimeters or you'll need a more expensive device like a Spectrophotometer which are less than ideal for calibrating dark colors on a display. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>There is a DreamColor at display on a shop next to where I work at, but I haven't been able to test it under normal circumstances. It definitely seems to be directed more towards video and film folks, but the wide color gamut does offer nice possibilities for others as well. There are some reports about dithering that HP presentative at Creative Cow (http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/223/7928#7984) speculated to be fixable via firmware update.<br /><br /> It should be noted that the display might be partially wasted given that we don't seem to have mainstream graphics cards yet that would drive it to the full extent (10-bit colors), or most software either for that matter. I've been dreaming of the display myself as it is quite a bit nicer what I've had thus far (from Apple, Samsung, Dell) and switching between color profiles is really nice as it adjust luminosity as well. It might still be a bit ahead of its time, though.</p>

<p>i will go with "..even maybe the NEC.." the fact that you compare the Dell vs the NEC is really funny! because it is so much more when you ahve them side by side LOL.</p>

<p>So i never trust anything HP have done, but i can assure you that you will be in biz with a NEC, i have the same and for me color are seriously critical. As Andrew mention, get it with the calibration kit from NEC.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone, your responses have certainly solidified my initial thoughts RE the NEC. @Patrick Don't worry I wasn't really comparing the Dell to the others, just saying that it's the cheapest "decent" monitor I could buy if I wanted to hold off for an LED display.</p>

<p>I already have the Gretag Macbeth Eyeone Display 2. Will this suffice or is there something special about the calibration hardware for the NEC? </p>

<p>You can use that instrument and just get the software (SpectraView II) for $99 at least in the US. For a wide gamut display, a colorimeter with mated filters for that unit is ideal, but you can still use the EyeOne, in my tests, the white point was "off" by about 600K. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>I have the HP LP2480zx DreamColor display and have to disagree with Mr. Rodney who has no personal experience with this display. It is a wonderful display that is capable of displaying 133% of NTSC color, 100% of both AdobeRGB and sRGB. <br>

The claim that the monitor is ill suited for photography because it was designed for the film industry is ludicrous. We are all looking for color accuracy and a monitor that can switch from Adobe RGB to sRGB with the push of a button certainly helps my workflow.<br>

There is no other monitor on the market that can reach the color gamut of this monitor. The 1000:1 contrast ratio is not a minimum but a maximum. Black level can be adjusted in the OSD. <br>

We do have video cards on the market that can output 10 bits per color via DVI. The ATIX1900XT installed in my Mac Pro is one.<br>

In addition to DVI, the monitor also has inputs for HDMI and display port as well as component and sVGA. This is a well rounded monitor with outstanding color accuracy. I do recommend purchasing the HP Advanced Profiling solution which comes with a specially filtered i1 Display2 and software that enables the calibration to write to the monitor's two stage 12 bit LUT. <br>

The price reduction from $3499. to $1999. until January 31, 2009 makes this monitor a solid choice.<br>

Jerry</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I have the HP LP2480zx DreamColor display and have to disagree with Mr. Rodney who has no personal experience with this display.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I don't own one (unlike Gerald, I'm not ready to drop even $2K on this pup yet), but I have personal experience and actually worked with one before it was released when on site at a company that makes color management equipment for it!<br>

At least two color geeks who are highly respected did drop the bucks and have issues with the unit as it currently stands. So unless you like to be on the bleeding edge, or you have very deep pockets like Gerald, you might want to take a breather on this pup until its received thumbs up from those in the industry, working with imagery say so. </p>

<p>If I had the money, I'd get the DreamColor, but not everyone is as frivolous as me. I'd say that if you need other gear, don't sacrifice it to get the DreamColor; IMHO, lighting will more greatly affect your photos and what you will be able to capture moreso than the monitor. In fact, though it isn't LED backlit, the HP LP2475w is and excellent wide gamut display and can be had for roughly $600. Just my two cents...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>So unless you like to be on the bleeding edge, or you have very deep pockets like Gerald, you might want to take a breather on this pup until its received thumbs up from those in the industry, working with imagery say so.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Investing in a color accurate monitor is an important choice that should not be compromised. You pay thousands of dollars for your camera, computer and printer and then want to save a few dollars on a monitor? This is the screen that you will be spending most of your time sitting behind and editing those images with. Unlike these self-appointed color geeks who thrive on revenue received from corporations, touting their product at trade shows with a great deal of bias. I would not give advise about a product I did not personally own and use on a daily basis. I am just a photographer and graphic designer trying to make a living in my field. I receive no compensation for product endorsements.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Investing in a color accurate monitor is an important choice that should not be compromised.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I agree and follow the same advise. That's why, over the years, I've used the best reference displays built: Barco Reference, Radius PressViews, Sony Artisans and now NEC SpectraViews. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Unlike these self-appointed color geeks who thrive on revenue received from corporations, touting their product at trade shows with a great deal of bias.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Right, we all hate those paid lobbyists. Thankfully, there are plenty of people who know display technology well and tell it like it is (people like Karl Lang who designed both the PressView and Artisan) and color geeks like Neil Snape who discuss the downsides of the DreamColor display (http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=30608&hl=dreamcolor). </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I would not give advise about a product I did not personally own and use on a daily basis.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Must be nice to be able to afford to buy any and every product without outside advise from knowledge experts in the field who very often, don't need to spend days with a product to evaluate its qualities. <br>

<br /></p>

<blockquote>

<p><br /></p>

</blockquote>

<p><br /></p>

• 1 month later...

<p>I wonder if the Dream Color is the same as the Samsung XL30, as they sound alike in Geralds desc. I have the XL30 and I do contract proofs, my eyes thank me daily for using it. I am with Gerald on this. I used to use radius back in the Days, then Artisan, and a Sony 24 CRT, which I still run on another system. This XL30 is so darn accurate, and next to the 30 Cinema display, or even the CRT, I cant say enough good things. It does the 12bit LUT calibration with the options, it comes with the Eye1 ..even a hood that I actually use due to my room lighting. <br>

I have to say my first screen had warm pink hue areas and it was weird, but they replaced it and when the screen is solid white...its solid white (my 30ACD is not). Only strange thing is that it gets these 1 pixel thick, static like lines once in a while when switching programs. It might be due to the vid card, but not sure. Anyone with the HP have such reports?</p>