I'm every camera store's worst nightmare

<p>"Buying all you need in city centers at more than 10% above internet prices is ripping yourself off."<br /> According to whom?</p>

<p>According to me.</p>

<p>But that figure might differ for other people. As I said in my first line: this is the short version.</p>

<p>In a longer version I would also have to point out that where I live the taxes in the shops and the taxes on internet purchases are the same. There's no "whoops let's add another 5% at the counter" tax.<br>

Plus the store that I support (as long as they stay within the roughly +10% margin) has very capable staff that's friendly and knowledgable. They let me handle items to try to the feel.<br>

Their strategy is to operate both a brick-n-mortar store and an internet store.</p>

<p>The store is in the center of a very old city and I hope that this city will keep it's atmosphere and style for a long time. I support the shops out of laziness and loyalty. But the cost of that support must stay within limits that I deem reasonable. (I'm not poor but rich would be an overstatement plus I'd like to leave a little money in the bank for my kids when they grow up...)</p>

<p>Kind regards, Matthijs.</p>

<p>In case you might wonder: Talens Fotoshop, at the Markt in Delft, The Netherlands.</p>

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>A real walk in store again has to deal with more overhead per customer.</p>

<p>*****There is more TIME spent with a customer during a walk in store purchase than an internet sale.</p>

<p>Since most all folks on photo.net are amateurs and do not run a business; this concept is not understood.</p>

<p>Its basically rocket science.</p>

<p>Thus its is viewed that a store purchase if more than an interent sale is ripping a person off.</p>

<p>This is a natural concept for many; a welfare concept. Folk want something for nothing.</p>

<p>Folks want the low internet prices; and also of use a local store as a toilet; to do free rentals; to try out a new camera; to return goods that they bought off the internet. Since most folks are amateurs and do not run a business; their brains cannot understand business overhead; time spent per customer; having to deal with customers who walk in at closing time; look at equipment for a hour; then leave and buy if ofF the internet.</p>

<p>Then when their Acme2000 comes in; they want use the local store as a free source of information on the unit. Amateurs shoot images for fun; thus the concept of cash flow; paying rent; paying taxes; paying an electric bill on a real business is foreign. Thus its easy and natural to think what a shop that charges 10 percent more than internet price is "ripping folks off"</p>

<p>In the same thinking all photographers are "ripping folks off" too; since digital is free; and youR time is worthless too.</p>

<p>How a business needs to be run and survive is a foreign concept to many folks on welfare or are government workers; you see not real expenses a real private business has to deal with.</p>

<p>The local camera store business often gets many customers who absorb alot of time and make few purchases; just lookers to buy stuff off the internet.</p>

<p>At some point local camera stores just die off; there is not enough cash flow to stay afloat. You feel better; the evil chaps that charged 10 percent more to stay sort of afloat are now gone.</p>

<p>Folks that think a small local shop that is charging more than the internet are ripping folks off are basically ignorant of how a business has to be run.</p>

<p>The customer who you loose money on with each free bull session and zero purchase,free rental; free return; is really not a nightmare; he is just another business loss or expense you deal with; like the electric bill; or spam; or roaches; or uncloging the toilet; or telemarketer.</p>

<p>He really adds no value; no profit on your time; just a loss.</p>

<p>You might have delt with him for a decade and sold 100 bucks worth of stuff; but he has been in your store 300 times; bought and returned 4 items (free rentals); returned items to you he bought of the internet. His value to you as a business is less than zero; he is like manure; a pest.</p>

<p>You have spent many 100's of hours on this chap and lost other sales; had to sell his weekend warrior rentals as demos; you have lost many thousands.</p>

<p> From his perspective you are ripping folks off; you are making millions; your time is worthless.</p>

<p>When you close your doors he is sad; he has to drive farther to find another host to feed on; to suck the life out of; to be critical off.</p>

<p>I'm one of the people that like to support my local store, that said I also buy from the internet. I do all my research online in the case where the purchase is what I deem 'safe' then I'll buy online i.e. I bought my 85/1.8 from a far east based ebay store whereas I paid a bit more an ordered my Sigma 10-20 from my local store, the thinking being that the 10-20 carried a risk of being a bad example to I wanted the facility to exchange it if needed.</p>

<p>I do like to spend time in my local store and nearly all my purchases from them are 2nd hand items, when an item is listed on the shop's website that I would like I tend to compare with what I can expect to pay on ebay and if the shop's price is not much more then I'll go in and have a play with the item (and purchase if I want it)</p>

<p>I have run a business in the past and am fully appreciative of the costs involved but I have to say that some of the tone of the comments on this thread have left me wondering if I'm as welcome in the stores as I thought I was, there are certainly times where I'll go into a store (not always my local) and browse without making a purchase, now I fear that I'm going to be branded as a time waster and a one of the people that are causing the death of such outlets. Certainly, I can be sure of myself in the fact that I'll put my money where my mouth is and make the purchase when I want it but the owners/assistants (of stores that I'm not known to) do not know that, from what I'm reading on here, if I browse for an while (maybe because I'd rather be in a photo store than clothes shopping with my wife) without making a purchase then I'm thought of rather badly - this unwelcome feeling certainly does precious little to make me want to part with my money!</p>

<p>An example of this being a reality, a few years ago I was working in a town where there were two stores, both chain owned (Jessops and Photo Optix), I would wonder around at lunchtime and naturally drift towards photo stuff, the Jessops store tended to be busy, had only one person that really knew anything and there was no real opportunity to chat, I bought a few bits from there but no real big purchases. The Photo Optix store was quieter with knowledgeable staff, although there were not as friendly, I remember trying to buy a monopod, there was nothing in the shop that was suitable and the idea of finding out a price on a Gitzo 1564L was clearly a burden, I was also in the market to purchase the 10-20 (just after it was released) but the eventual price quoted was a joke, again I purchased 'bits' from them (filter rings, film) but their customer care and salesmanship was dismal. In reality, due to the price and my preference I planned to purchase from my local store anyway BUT if the staff at Photo Optix had been welcoming, helpful and friendly then they would have had every chance of making some good sales</p>

<p>I've been into photography in both worlds:<br>

<br>

Pre Internet Pre~Ebay & Post Internet Post~Ebay.<br>

<br>

Years ago I bought a Loweprobag locally for $367 plus tax. A couple years later I bought a newer identical Lowepro backpack bag $100 delivered on ebay.  <br>

<br>

My last local proshop is closing. I spent $227 on a "$1,250" worth of merchandise according to my receipt telling me so. Sure if I wanted to pay full msrp it was $1,250 plus tax on $1,250. Really it was like $400 bag of goodies & 1/3 the tax.<br>

<br>

I agree with the idea that if manufacturers cared about the local camera shops they'd level the playing field. They wouldn't require the $100,000 annual orders to keep your olympus or pentax or sony accounts open. Thats $300,000 a year you need to spent or get on unsecured credit and then you as "their dealer" then watch the prices paid for wholesale drop and you get stuck with unsold inventory. Dslrs are current for a year at most usually. Canon 5D being the one noteable exception.  Lens shed  issue price overtime.<br>

<br>

I think Manufacturers would rather deal with companies like B&H as they move millions of dollars in product with lower delivery costs to one dealer and no unsecured losses on equiptment like Circuit City is causing by going "Bankrupt".<br>

<br>

So my favorite and last proshop is closing as of Jan 31st. You know they were charging $22 for developing a color print roll & including double 4X6 prints? Great product, but $22 plus tax was simply insane money. 10 years ago they were at $16 for same service, still far higher than the local competetion back then.  B&H didn't kill their film business they themselves did  by simply overcharging for services rendered & discontinuing their used department & no longer offering repairs & selling at full msrp, ect...<br>

The past couple years I'd ask them about a lens and they offer to special order it for me at full msrp, no cash refunds and store credit only, maybe. Some special orders are as-is no credit.  Its been 12 years since they did away with cash refunds on brand new unused returns. Silliness. I can order the lens myself and with someone like B&H  at a competetive price & I can return it in like new condition for a full refund less round trip shipping fees.<br>

<br>

SO Don't blame me, I look to value as my money only spends once and now that we're all connected via the Internets whats the point of paying $367 for a Lowepro bag someone else will sell you the same newer model Lowepro back pack bag for $100?<br>

<br>

Lindy<br>

<br>

</p>

<p>Darren: You shouldn't feel unwelcome simply by walking in and browsing. Just don't be one of those guys that demands the clerk's time when there are other people standing in line waiting for help unless you have a solid sense that a purchase will result (even if not immediately). Retail sales people are used to every sort of person and motivation, but a few bad apples can monopolize an enormous amount of your time. When I sold high-end hardware to the professional audio people (studio and stage types), the wannabes did spend some money here and there, but most were always trying the buy/return game to get free rentals.<br /><br />You can take of five serious, revenue-generating customers in the time it takes to wait on one looky-touchy-no-cashy wanderer. That really doesn't matter when the store's not busy, the phone's not wringing, and ten of your regular (paying!) customers haven't left inquiries in your e-mail box. But when things are busy, the browsing types really need to have their radar on, and be reasonable about how they use the staff's time. And many (most, even) people simply aren't reasonable. The only reasonable ones are those that have worked such jobs themselves.</p>

<p>i do agree with the you in some way, although i dissagree in many more. i will admit to purchasing things online after physically checking them out. although i have talked to the local camera shops about this very subject. the folks that work at these shops have a deep love for photography and everything about it. i recently went in to test a lens before deciding to make my final puchase. the customer service person was very helpful and told me everything i needed to know to make my decision, then we got into talking about prices. he admitted and encouraged me to pay the cheaper price online. when i asked him how he expected business, he simply replied that he would rather see happy satistfied customers that he has helped than disgruntled ones who were forced to pay more. and by him saying this i can promise you and him that i will return to this store to make photo purchases (not everything is cheaper online!). the people that work at these shops realize how easy it is to purchase everything online and they enjoy knowing the fact that they are still needed in society, whether for purchases or advice.</p>

<p>Sort of funny, this issue on this site, because you get to see retailers and customers. I understand the reatil issue, but frankly it is the way business is done. It always takes "X" number of visitors to by "Y" items. Some waffle, others are scared away, others change their mind, some were just looking, others find a better deal.</p>

<p>I try to view items in person, unless they are not complex. I would always buy from a local merchant if reasonable ... but frankly the quality of merchants is so God awefully bad here in Miami, they shouldn't be suprised. While the item is available in the store, noone is smart enough to give any useful advise, 1/2 the time they are trying to upsell, and frankly are 30% overpriced + 7% local tax ... your an idiot to pay the local price.</p>

<p>I agree that it costs more to offer a good product (service) ... but too often the service isn't worth the price of admission ... and retailers prey on those who would like to buy locally by overpricing.</p>

<p>Kelly<br>

People, who say customers are ignorant of how a business is run, say that out of ignorance! Customers don't run businesses they make businesses. The day a business person forgets that, and thinks’ a customer should help run there business, will soon be closing their doors. You can't give the argument of "Free Rent or Returns" either, because everyone deals with those. If you close your doors it's not due to the customer, it's due your philosophy. America was strong because of this very principal but we are becoming weak because of people with the opinions like yours. Sorry. L</p>

<p>This post hit me, because i've totally been "that person" When buying my D300, i researched it, looked at online pricing, but when it came down to purchasing it. I bought from Calumet. Same thing went for lenses and lighting equipment. I can't imagine buying a 1600 dollar camera without touching it. CF cards and misc stuff is another story...ebay is good for that!</p>

<p>Customer Service was brought up above and I've got to say that this is another downside for camera stores. The person standing in front of you at the counter is not an all-in-one dictionary of all things cameras. Certainly a few of them are well informed, but many are just lackeys for whatever company does the most business through that shoppe. I have the personal opinion that 99% of the rumors that people believe about cameras, the quality of X brand body, lens, sensor or film, the premature "death" of film, the fast lens scam, digital sensor image area rumors, and in general much of the un-knowledge touted around here and other forums is the direct result of the unchecked things "the guy at the camera store" said. The guy at the camera store is a salesman. You wouldn't trust a car salesman to tell you the truth about a vehicle you are about to buy, so why would you trust a camera salesman? Again, I'm not saying that every camera store counter person is a ruthless cut-throat willing to say anything to get you to hand over your hard earned... but sometimes they are, and sometimes they are just ignorant, only getting their knowledge of the machines they sell from brochures full of propaganda. If you have a "guy" you trust, that's all well and good, but I know I've been flat-out lied to on occasion in different stores in different states, possibly just out of ignorance and not malice, but still a lie none-the-less. Like anything else, being well-informed BEFORE walking into the store will guarantee a better shopping experience, and that's just some of what this forum is all about!</p>

<p>I support the local camera stores, but only if they match or beat an online price. And often they do, but if you don't ask, they will not volunteer the lower price, and this is fine with me.</p>

<p><br />A business should price their wares to sustain solvency, and that means pricing competitively. I really am turned off by the type of buying that is charity, and welfare. If they stand, they must stand on customers that go there to get a great deal, and none of this emotional crud. The sad or funny thing is that those that scream the loudest about supporting the local shop are the very ones that are getting shafted by the too high prices.</p>

<p><br />The problem with most stores is that their salemen will push a product based on what is in stock, or what provides the fattest profit margin, and often these adgenda's have nothing to do with what is best for the customer. Frankly, most shop salesmen are big liars, and never to be trusted. I prefer to do my own homework, research, then make an informed purchase online, and void of emotion and idealism.<br />Only humans behave in idealistic ways.</p>

<p>As to spending big $$ to "touch" a product...well if you think that touch is worth 10% - 40% more, the go right ahead and fondle. But this is irrational because one can buy online, fondle at home, then keep the product or send it back.</p>

<p>I suspect the REAL reason people will willingly pay a lot more at a local shop is because they don't yet have a sense of delayed gratification. A strong sense of D/G will cause a person to save tens of thousands of dollars over their lifetime. God forbid they have to endure the "pain" of waiting until the next day for the brown truck to come....lol</p>

<blockquote>

<p>As to spending big $$ to "touch" a product...well if you think that touch is worth 10% - 40% more, the go right ahead and fondle. But this is irrational because one can buy online, fondle at home, then keep the product or send it back.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well, the shipping and return fees can be ugly, and I'm not sure how B&H or Adorama would feel about throwing a couple hundred shutter actuations on a new dSLR, then returning it 'as new.'</p>

<p>I don't know...I unfairly triage equipment stores into 3 categories: "Good Online", "Good Local" (rare), "Bad Local" (not rare - your typical chains, or big-box electronic stores. </p>

<p>I do patronize "good local", but I admit not for the large purchases, because they're more expensive. I don't fiddle with gear there, either, however for the sake of test-driving it before buying online. I feel for these stores, because they're going to attract educated customers in a way that R*** or Best B** won't. And educated customers will be familiar with the trustworthy internet stores....</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I am the original poster here and am positively overwhemed at the envigorating, thought provoking responses here so far. In fact this post is my first <em>'Originating Post,' </em>here on Photo.net. A few perspectives- I remember the telling theme of Watergate from Deep Throat to the news hounds, <em>'Follow the Money.'<br /></em><br />1.) On using the net for free without purchasing on the net. Remember the days of the Sears Catalog? Usually sent to a household with no covenant other than the risk/reward that return on investment was that some may buy looking at a picture and some will not. No service was required unless you ordered from them.<br /><br />2.) Physical Stores ? ? ? vs Internet<br />This begs the questions,<br />Do we need physical stores?<br />Does your local store provide a service?<br />They can only offer service, quality and price.<br /><br />3.) The key for all of us is how much of a value can we, or will we afford to pay for that service if there is a value? If the value to the Primary Manufacturers of the local stores relationship is so important maybe it is to the Manufactures to help the local stores.<br /><br />For my small part I enjoy shopping, and receive excellent service from Penn Camera, in Washington DC. They will return anything within 14 days, hold items for me if I need them to be on the lookout.<br /><br />For my major purchases, I have to hold the item and check it out first. The cost of time for me is more efficient to look, feel, touch, use, evaluate on site in real time rather than elongate the process to order, wait, recieve, evaluate, and then possibly ship back. Once I walk out of the store, I know I have what I want. Do I pay more? - In the long run I believe that community begins at home, and the time I save and trust of loyalty is worth it in the long run if one builds a relationship that is good for both sides. <br /><br />I believe: We do what we value, and we are what we repeatedly do.</p>

<p>I have a personal anecdote that this brings to mind. Years ago, I worked for a brick and mortor electronics store when video cameras were just becomeing popular. One day I was demonstrating the new smaller, lighter and more powerful Canon and there were about three folks standing around listening. Two bought but the third, a lady, didn't. Later that week, she came back into the store and started asking me some questions. After just a few moments I found that she had liked what she heard from me, gone down the street a few blocks and bought from a Sams Club that had just oppened. I nicely told her that if she needed help with her camera she should go back to Sam's and ask the salesman. She replied "I would but you seem to know what you're talking about and he didn't."<br>

I told her "And that is why you should have bought from us and not them" and walked away. I refused to answer any more questions from her and almost lost my job over it but I was standing on principle.<br>

I've said all that to say this. I agree with the previous posters who said that we should support the local camera store but at the same time, I refuse to be ripped off. If the local store won't meet me half-way between their price and my B&H guy, then I buy online.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I refuse to be ripped off. If the local store won't meet me half-way between their price and my B&H guy, then I buy online.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It isn't neccessarily because they are trying to "rip you off". As an example. The D300 was selling on B&H and Adorama for about $150 less than my local camera shop's COST. Meaning if he wanted to compete, or even go half-way he would have been losing money on the camera, plus shipping, plus the 3% fee he pays to take a credit card. By trying to force him to sell at the same price as the big guys, and actually lose money, who would be ripping who off?<br /> <br /> As a point. How many local camera dealers do you see driving Mercedes or Porches? Its not like they are making millions of dollars, they are doing it because they enjoy it. Cut them a little slack.</p>

<p><em>do you really care about a store that's not in your community? I don't care if Home Depot goes out of buisness and they don't care if I die! or you for that matter. :(</em><br>

<em></em><br>

While this is a follow up to my post, it has nothing to do with anything I said in it or anything else for tha matter. But, yes, I would like businesses in general to thrive.</p>

<p><em>Is it me, or are others disturbed by the fact that there are those that suck up the services of local camera stores, and then not support them when it costs money to keep a physical location open so fake customers can come in and sample the merchandise, then only to spend their money elsewhere?<br /></em><br /><em></em><br />All of this was in response to a discussion about seeing a physical good in a store and then buying online instead. Now, what if someone goes to one store looking at something and decides to shop at another store? Are they to be condemned as disturbing too? Afterall, they are just buying form another business so there is no difference. That customer owes you no more than the one who buys online from a warehouse somewhere.</p>

<p>I agree it is rude to consume a lot of time and effort of sales staff if there is no intention to buy anything to begin with but, any suggestion that there is a special different duty owed that is different than that of someone buying from a another physical store is absurd.</p>

<p>I feel for any local business. Yet, not having read all the comments above, I believe the local camera shop battle is over and the online places have prevailed. I just get my information on line and read reviews on line and then buy online. I don't bother with my local Best Buy, unless a cute salesgirl asks if she can help me. And then I ask if I might look at this camera which is a display model on a tether and I am upfront that I am just window shopping. I have had a few returns and could not decide on a purchase from a quick store peek anyway.Companies now post manuals on new products on line. I am glad there are those who buy local. I just can't afford this hobby if I were to do that. Do I feel guilty?That is my affair.</p>

<p>Anecedote: When former House Speaker Tom Foley was interviewed on a book tour and asked if he had any advice to leave as a wise legacy, he said : "Yeah sure, Never pay retail."</p>

<p>Well, this is an interesting thread. I've been picking up odds and ends, slowly trying to get back into photography as a more serious hobby. Not a pro by any stretch, but I have a fairly technical background and generally do a fair amount of research (as you all do) before walking into a store.<br />My time is just as important as the salesman's. In fact, it's more important because, well, it's mine...<br />I bought a d90 when they came out a couple months back. I stopped by the local camera store-went out of my way and squeezed the errand in. Wasted 2 hours driving to and talking to what appeared to be the very unknowledgeable daughter (er, mistress?) of the, well, of somebody. I was not looking to "get a discount" as it was new and no one was selling at a discount. They did not have it. But, I was so unimpressed by the knowledge, service, and demeanor of the staff that I just bought it off Amazon/Ritz.<br />I expect superior knowledge, service and a professional demeanor from a local. For that, the locals can charge more. If what I get is a long wait, not so knowledgeable salespeople, and a fairly snooty clubbish attitude, then I will take my business elsewhere.<br />I know that customers abuse the system. Still, think about the legitimate customer. If I buy a lens and decide it's not right for me in a reasonable time frame, and it's undamaged/original, then I expect the right to return it. No questions asked. Period. All the major B&M's and most reputable online places will do this. I return almost nothing that I buy, having done my research. However, I would not shop at a store that assumed I was trying to rip them off.<br />Everyone likes the idea of supporting "mom and pop" stores. It's very vogue to hate Wal Mart and the style of business that they represent. Still, it's a bit sad when I get the same sort of knowledge as a typical walmart clerk, combined with poorer service (in the form of restrictive return policies, etc.)<br />If the small stores in my community are full of unfriendly sales staff who give me the impression I'm bothering them, charge me high rates, well, those stores need to die off.<br />There is an intangible value of goodness knowing you purchased from a local, but it's probably not enough to save them. It's cruel economic reality. The Nikon is the same whether it comes from a small mom and pop store, or an internet retailer. A small business, to survive, has to add some sort of value to that purchase. That value can take many forms, but it has to be there. I know some of the posters are just venting about money losing customers, dishonest or otherwise. Still those same posters have offered nothing in the way of value added for selling the same product at a higher cost.</p>

<p >Sorry John</p>

<p >It sounded to me like your earlier post was trying to turn the point around and say that some people would shop online and then buy locally? My point was simply If someone outside of your local area lost money because of that so what. None of their revenue will benefit your community.</p>

<p >Your follow-up post</p>

<p >It is not absurd of me to go into two stores and ask question’s become informed and then make a purchase. The cost of doing business for two identical stores would be on par with each other i.e.: same overhead costs, Employment, triple nets, inventory levels. So the only determining factors would be who has better service, price and return policies. Internet retailers do not have those costs so it’s not an apples to apples comparison</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Jerry</p>

<p >What about your principles to your employer. Do you think his business and his vision benefits from your principles? And if you’re being paid to perform a task for him, shouldn’t you do just that? Trust me your employer knows more about customers than you do.</p>

<p>I agree with Jerry. Perhaps a solution is what a local brick and mortar shop does. They are willing to discuss features, but with a purchase, give class room instruction on using the camera and photography. Dont buy, go learn from the manual. Kinda like learning to drive from the manual in the car glove box. Good luck. It helps develop a personal relationship with the customer which is hard for an on line service to do. It also enables them to let the customer know what other gear they might want or need and having the class on site makes the purchase easy. Training classes using gear also gets feet in the door and interest in the gear demonstrated.</p>

<p>Oh there you are Ed Chambers..........</p>

<p>It was me Ed was quoting from 'that other post'. I'd like to add here that I have explained exactly why I am this particular camera store's <strong>Worst Nightmare</strong> <a href="../nikon-camera-forum/00SA2G">here</a>.</p>

<p>If you'd bothered to follow up on your diatribe you might have been a little more enlightened.........</p>

<p>Well, what I do is this:</p>

<p>Live on a remote island in Southeast Alaska.</p>

<p>I'd have to take a plane or ferry to get to any brick and mortar store; so I mostly avoid that choice and moral dilemma altogether.</p>

<p>That being said, I did get a chance to stop in at Glazers over the holiday season during my return trip from visiting family in Michigan. I went in knowing that I was going to pick up a new camera bag, but needed to work out which of the two options I had in mind would best suit my needs. I purchased the bag there at about the same price I would have paid when you add the cost of shipping. I appreciate what a business like Glazers has to offer in terms of product and service, and was happy to purchase my bag from them.</p>

<p>But the whole idea of many business models has become incredibly antiquated in the age of the internet. I mean, look at how photographers have had to adapt with the proliferation of relatively inexpensive and high resolution digital gear to the general public. Look at how the RIAA has had to sue those who download music illegally rather than pay for it, and has recently given up on that route. </p>

<p>The fact is that the photography industry (including B&M stores) and the music industry face a total overhaul of their current business model. The problem being that no suitable new business model that allows small-time operations like your local photo/record shop to keep running has really presented itself successfully. It's a shift away from small business towards business, and the internet, at least IMO, is the biggest marketplace the world has ever seen. Small businesses can't compete with internet prices or selection. Small businesses can, however, offer better service. But is better service going to win out over the bottom line? Hard to say.</p>