Busch Pressman and long lenses

kenneth_bruno

<p>You have to be careful with the size of the back element of the lens because the bellows are very narrow at that side. I have a 210mm Symmar that fits, but only just. Another thing to keep in mind is that with a longer lens you're really stretching your bellows to it's limits when you're trying to focus close, for a portrait for instance. I can only just have a head&shoulders in focus with the 210mm but need to lock my focus because otehrwise the stretched bellows will pull the front standard backwords.<br>

So, I can be done, but the camera is not designed with long lenses in mind.</p>

<p>Hi<br>

I'm new to this forum. I love my Busch Pressman for travel ing with a 4x5. It is soooo compact.<br>

For a long lens I use a Wollensack (aka Graflex) 10" f5.6 TeleRaptar. It 's single coated though, and uses 55mm filters. With my 135 sinaron and a 90mm wideangle raptar my kit is fairly complete, for a light weight travel set.<br>

Regards</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>Hello...<br>

Sorry for the delay.....have been away<br>

Tim, the 10" lens doesn't present any problems? Are you able to close the camera or do you put the lens in once set up? My guess is that you don't bother using a rangefinder (?)<br>

Willem, is the Symmar in a Copal shutter a reliable choice?<br>

My best,<br>

Ken</p>

<p>Kenneth, your rangefinder on the Busch wil become obsolete when you change from the focal length it is set for, probably 135mm if thats what came on your Busch (the most common "normal" lens on these cameras). The Kalart rangefinders can be set for various focal lengths, but its a chore not lightly undertaken! And no, Tim's 10" telephoto can't stay on the camera when he closes it...much too big!</p>

<p>I think one of the nicest longer lenses for the Pressman is the Rodenstock Geronar 210 f/6.8 (also known as the Caltar II-E). It is very compact which goes well with the size of the Busch, multicoated (for what that is worth), and performs quite well when stopped down. Did I mention they are cheap?</p>