wedding lens shake-up - Advice needed

diane_stredicke

<p>I totally appreciate your input WW.<br>

Re: wide lens --- on the 40D my widest lens would be the 17-55 2.8 IS. So wide enough. <br>

It seems that the resounding sentiment is to keep the 5D. And I do love it. <br>

<br /> However, WW, you are quite right about my liking to try things out. I bought the 5D used. Thought I would give it a try. It is a wonderful camera. But to your point - it doesn't necessarily make my photos better. Better than say another 40D. In fact, in some ways, it probably complicates things. Only because of having FF and cropped together. <br>

I am still discovering my style. Most of my weddings are small, thus making my primes my main tools. However, I am going to be doing some second shooting in larger venues.... so I suspect the 70-200 will come in handy.</p>

<p>I love this forum.... :)</p>

<p><em><strong>"Re: wide lens --- on the 40D my widest lens would be the 17-55 2.8 IS. So wide enough."</strong></em><br>

<br>

<em><strong>Small point, but important IMO:</strong></em> I believe either I did not explain this point fully or you misread my comment. My quote was: <br>

<br>

<em>"Also with your lenses and with 2 x 40D . . . </em><strong><em>the widest fast prime will be the 35 / 1.4,</em></strong><em> that would not be “safe” for me – I would think: “short aisle, large Wedding Party, No Flash Allowed – I am stuffed”</em><br>

<br>

Consider a Wedding described below, in a small Chapel, only eight Pews long: No Photographer allowance beyond the front Pew during the Service and no allowance to move to the Altar Rail for the Kiss; No Flash Rule during all of the Service (including Processional); Wedding Party total = 6, Procession down the aisle 2x B’Maids, separately, 1 Bride + 1.<br>

<br>

OK, this Wedding is severe in that it has many complex elements which could be problematic, (not to mention shooting into the bright sunset, without flash) . . . But consider any Dark environment and the inability to get back from a group of 4 or 6, or how to get a Full Length shot of the Bride and Groom in a dark and cramped situation. . . <br>

<br>

WW</p><div>00SChb-106405684.thumb.jpg.651d6552a6211f9bbdbfa35bc18f1bf1.jpg</div>

<p>The only advantage to the 24-70 over the 17-55 is the somewhat narrower DoF offered on the full frame camera and the ability to use it on both 5D and 40D for different ranges. Not necessarily a great need...</p>

<p>Seems like your lens lineup covers the important ranges, except that your 5D is a little limited on the wide end. I personally still want a 35L like you have. I never bought (and kept) an ef-s type standard zoom, so I have a 24-70L.</p>

<p>I don't see anything wrong with your lens selection. Good primes, the best aps-c standard zoom...nothing to really fix there.</p>

<p>I made my decision and sold the 5D... I'm sure I'll revisit it in the future.<br>

I'm going to go with either 2 40D's or 1 40D and a 30D. I am also going to sell the 35L and get the Sigma 30mm 1.4. <br>

Economy just forcing this decision for me. I'm sure someday I'll go back to the 5D. It's a great camera.</p>

<p>Thanks for all of your input.</p>

• 2 weeks later...