DXO Optics Pro 5.3.1 for lens corrections

<p>I have been trying the trial version of DXO Optics Pro 5.3.1 for both noise reduction and correction of lens distortion. I am using a new 24 inch iMac running Leopard OS X. My camera is a Nikon D300. I want to correct distortion from the Sigma 10-20mm EX HSM zoom and the Nikkor 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 DX zoom. The trial download has successfully recognized my camera module. But, even though I have gone through the download twice, at the recommendation of customer support, I don't get the lens modules in DXO. They just don't appear and I can't find them on my computer. I am working on this with DXO support. I'm interested to know if anyone else uses this for lens correction and/or has had this problem with a Mac?<br>

Thanks!<br>

Dick</p>

<p>I run DXO Optic Pro 5.3.1 on my Macbook Pro with Leopard.<br>

No problems.<br>

However, I'm starting to use the PT Lens plug-in for Aperture for my lens corrections.<br>

I wish DXO Optics would make a plug-in for Aperture too, as they make one for Lightroom.</p>

<p>Thanks Alec, I was not aware of the PT Lens plug-in. I started looking at DXO for noise reduction at the suggestion of another PN member. But, I'm interested in the lens correction function, probably more than the noise reduction. Are you satisfied with the noise reduction? I can't figure out why the lens modules won't work. When I put a photo in the bottom dock to prepare to be processed, I get a red checkmark over the lens icon and the lens modules don't appear in the module list.<br>

Thank you for answering!<br>

Dick</p>

<p>I bought DXO last spring to use with Lightroom 1. I used it mainly to batch process some photos I took in France. I though it worked quite well. I seem to remember it wouldn't process any files I had started to work on in Lightroom. It seemed to like unprocessed RAW files. I may be wrong on this as it was a few months ago.<br>

Last summer I switched to Aperture 2.0, and then added the Nik Software plug-ins.<br>

I also understand DXO was upgraded at the end of last year, which I haven't used.<br>

If they add a plug-in for Aperture I may go back to it. However, I do love the Nik collection (which doesn't do lens correction).<br>

Sorry I can't be of anymore help.</p>

• 2 months later...

<p>I have recently begun to use DXO Optics Pro 5.3 as my RAW convertor. As far as I am concerned, it leaves Lightroom/ACR in the dust in terms of detail and sharpness. It feels like having an additional 5MP in my camera. Moreover, if DXO has correction modules for your particular camera and lens (and it does for a great many), it automatically applies specific corrections for noise, vignetting, lens distortion and chromatic aberration. This is very cool. If you think that your favorite lens does not have such defects, you would almost certainly be wrong. The adjustments tools are not highly intuitive but can be mastered with a bit of practice and patience. The biggest deficiency of this program is its lack of file management capabilities. Fortunately, it is relatively easy to use LR for that purpose and to export the files to DXO for editing.</p>

<p>Rob</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>Robert, in general I agree with your assessment of DxO Optics Pro; however, I dislike the fact that it still applies a massive amount of noise reduction to high ISO (e.g. ISO 800 from a Rebel XTi) RAW images <strong>even when</strong> you have Luminance noise reduction set to '0'. In general, it's noise reduction is good, but with ISO 800, it really blurs too much detail.</p>

<p>If you're impressed with the sharpness of DxO, just try the $125 RAW Developer (demo at www.iridientdigital.com), and use DoG sharpening. Blows Lightroom & DxO right out of the water for my Canon 5D, Rebel XTi, and/or Panasonic LX3 files. So does the <strong>free </strong> RAW Photo Processor, for that matter, but I don't use it due to its poor handling of highlight detail.</p>

<p>Cheers,<br /> Rishi</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"If you're impressed with the sharpness of DxO, just try the $125 RAW Developer (demo at www.iridientdigital.com), and use DoG sharpening. Blows Lightroom & DxO right out of the water for my Canon 5D, Rebel XTi, and/or Panasonic LX3 files."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Funny you should mention RAW Developer, as that was my program of choice until Lightroom came along. I liked it very much at the time, but it did not have all the features and organizational tools of LR.</p>

<p>At any rate, I just downloaded the latest version of RAW Developer (v 1.8.3) and tested it on several files that I had also converted in DxO. RAW Developer is sigfificantly better than when I last used it, but it still does not equal DxO in the rendering of detail. And I am not referring simply to the amount of detail, but also to how fine detail is rendered. DxO has a unique method of creating microcontrast that I have not seen with any other RAW converter. This gives the image a three dimensional quality. With RAW Developer, I have to apply sharpening as you suggested to even approach DxO with NO sharpening whatsoever. And still the RD image looks flatter.</p>

<p>Another huge advantage of DxO over RAW Developer is the availability of correction modules for specific camera/lens combinations. These correction modules automatically fix noise, lens softness, chromatic aberration, vignetting and lens distortaion at all focal lengths. This really works and is unique to DxO. For these and other tools, I rate DxO Optics Pro as the best pure RAW converter. BTW, I still use Lightroom for color, lighting and contrast adjustments.</p>

<p>Rob</p>

<p>Rob,</p>

<p>Spot on in your description of DxO's conversions-- you're absolutely right about the microcontrast 'pop' that gives images a 3D feel, even at 100% viewing. Worlds above both RAW Developer & Lightroom.</p>

<p>Additionally, its noise reduction for higher ISO files is smoother than ACR-- with ISO 800 images from a Rebel XTi, whereas the noise reduction by ACR sometimes leads to blotchy patches that are blurred, DxO's noise reduction engine yields more of a smoothed noise removal. I'll try and come back and post some 100% crop comparisons.</p>

<p>However, I do still stick with my earlier assessment of too much noise removal by DxO on the Rebel XTi ISO 800 RAW files I tried... even with noise reduction set to 'off', a lot of detail on the subject's face was lost with DxO, but kept with ACR & RAW Developer... quite the opposite of the microcontrast and 'pop' we're used to seeing with DxO conversions of low ISO files.</p>

<p>I think this must just be hardcoded-- since Rebel XTi files at ISO 800 are pretty damn noisy, DxO goes ahead and internally applies considerable noise reduction, whereas RD & ACR don't up the noise reduction significantly just b/c it's higher ISO.</p>

<p>Rob-- one other thing: do you use DxO on a Mac? If so, have you noticed the 'pixel-doubling' effect that drives me crazy? I.e., every time you make an adjustment, suddenly the picture becomes low-res & pixelated, then slowly goes back to full resolution? This doesn't happen on the Windows version and is absolutely inane-- how are you supposed to judge slight changes in lighting and/or sharpness as you adjust sliders if the picture blows up into a pixelated mess in between adjustments?</p>

<p>Thanks,<br>

Rishi</p>