Debating a Purchase of 300 f/4 or 400 f/5.6

james_glucksman1

<blockquote>

<p>Just spoke with my friend in South Africa who will be hosting part of our stay, and he strongly recommended the 100-400 zoom for the simple reason that it prevents you missing shots whilst changing lenses, and minimizes the chance of dust getting on the sensor in conditions where it will be difficult to clean it.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I think this is excellent advice. It'll save you all the hassle of swapping lenses and perhaps missing a shot while doing so.<br>

Instead you could use the saved time to take in the moment <strong>without</strong> looking through a viewfinder. Even the sharpest image is a poor substitute for actually "having been there".</p>

<p>I have the 70-200 f2.8 IS and it is utter garbage with the 2x extender. Even the 1.4x extender impacts the image quality a lot. I also have the 300mm f4 IS and it is an outstanding lens! It works superbly with the 1.4x extender and retains IS and AF with the extender attached. I would definitely recommend the 300mm f4 IS over the 400mm f5.6. The IS is simply too good to miss and you really need it on a 400mm lens.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone for the input. I decided, after reviewing your feedback and looking around on Flickr at photos taken with the lens/body combinations I'm working with, to go for the 100-400 zoom. I may be sacrificing some sharpness, but I think the convenience factor outweighs that, and I think the lens will get more use overall than would a fixed tele. </p>