New 18-250 zoom coming soon from Sigma

r.t. dowling

<p>Sigma will soon be releasing an 18-250 superzoom for APS-C digital cameras. The Nikon, Canon, and Sigma mount versions will include optical image stabilization. The lens will be available <em>sans</em> stabilization in Pentax and Minolta/Sony mounts.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/news/090115_18_250_35_63_dc_os_hsm.htm"><strong>Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM</strong> </a></p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'm not sure whether the Pentax version will have HSM or if it will be regular screw-drive. The press release didn't say.</p>

<p>Brand loyalty is a factor, too. Some people love Sigma and dislike Tamron; others love Tamron and hate Sigma. There is probably enough room in the market for both. Personally I'd go for the Tamron with its 6-year warranty.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The ''only'' way I can see this working (selling) is if they made it faster. Say F/2.8 F/5.6</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That would be one monster of a lens, Javier. The problem is that the higher you make the zoom ratio (13.9 in this case) the harder it is to make the lens fast. Look at the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4; it's not that large, but imagine having to take it from 70mm to 250mm. Even adding an extra stop to the long end would challenge any lens maker.</p>

<p>Not that they wouldn't sell like free sweets outside a school if anybody managed to build such a lens :-)</p>

<p>"The problem is that the higher you make the zoom ratio (13.9 in this case) the harder it is to make the lens fast. Look at the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4; it's not that large, but imagine having to take it from 70mm to 250mm. Even adding an extra stop to the long end would challenge any lens maker."<br>

Thank you...I was lamenting about this very issue the other day, asking myself "how hard can it be to make a fast, fixed aperature zoom lens?" Now I know (sort of)...</p>

• 1 year later...

<p>Miserere Mei, I don't understand what the big deal is about size of the lens. The 18-250 is MUCH smaller than a typical 70-200 f2.8 and I'm sure Sigma could easily make a 70-250 f2.8-4 lens with OS and HSM for $600 and sell the hell out of it. I'm frankly not sure why they don't. Maybe they're afraid that people would bash it for not being an f2.8 for its entire focal range.<br>

-<br>

The reviews I've read at B&H (they don't have any yet at fredmiranda.com) give it 5 stars. There are nine reviews there so far, and people are raving about it. It's not a cheap lens either, though it is much cheaper than the Nikon 18-200 VR. I plan to get one of these Sigma 18-250 OS HSM lenses for a Sony A55, when I can afford them together. Then I have to figure out if I'll get the Sigma 8-16 or something else for extra wide shots.</p>