Nikon D90 lenses

kara_frank

<p>I am about to purchase a Nikon D90 for use this weekend. I've been researching lenses for this camera but I need some expereinced help. I am new to photography and will be taking a digital photography class this summer through a local university. I would like to have some lenses that I can grow with. That being said I'd like to invest in one or two good lenses to get started. I'm looking at lenses that will be good for night city sceens as well as day time landsacpes and out door day portraits. I was looking at the AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Lens that comes in the kit. I would also like another lense with a bettter zoom but it doesn't need to be a telephoto lense. I would like a sharp lense with vibration reduction that doesn't creep too much, and geek out too much at high and low mm. Is this possible or am I dreaming? Any thoughts or comments would be much appreicated. Thank you</p>

<p>Hmm. I'd start out with 16-85 VR and a <em>tripod.</em> Not your first tripod, but your second one. Skip that first one.<br /><br />Once you and your camera learn to get along, you'll know if that zoom with the greater reach/range needs to be a 70-300, or perhaps something else. You may find that you're consistenly wishing you could get <em>wider</em> than 16mm, or that something around 105mm would be perfect, and that you'd really be best off with a prime like that which can also tackle some macro work, if you get into <em>that</em> sort of thing. A strobe (like the SB-600) might also be a good place to initially put some money - since your outdoor portraits might really benefit from a little fill flash.</p>

<p>"Night city scenes" handheld means a fast lens, something like the Nikkors 35/2, 50/1.8 or 50/1.4 or Sigma 24/1.8, or 30/1.4.<br>

Under strong light, with some stopping down, the 16-85, 18-105 and 18-200 will all do landscape & portraits just fine -- and do night scenes if perched on a tripod.<br>

If you want shallow DOF, and enough focal length for head shots, an 85/1.8. The 50mm with a smaller sensor turns into a 75mm, enough for flattering waist-to- bust-length portraits. Oops, that's 3 lenses.<br>

As Matt said, a good, solid tripod, too.</p>

<p>Hello !<br>

Nikon has a very broad lens line-up so I'm sure you'll find what you are looking for.<br>

Don't forget to look at the sigma side also. They have sone interesting lenses too and their pricing is of course lower than Nikon's. Primes or zooms with large apertures are appealing of course, but quality has a cost.<br>

A very inexpensive lens which is cool on a DX format camera is the nikon AF 50 1.8. i have used it several time for night shots. I bought mine used for a very moderate price.</p>

<p>Personnaly, I often have a look at the local photo shops in my town to see what is available as used lenses. Sometimes you can get really lucky.</p>

<p>Best regards,<br>

Paul</p>