first time shooting a wedding looking for some pointers

megan_griffith

<p>hello i am going to be shooting a wedding for the first time it is going to be a small wedding in a backyard in the daytime, i will be shooting b&w film(that i have done all the zone system testing on) , i have a cannon ae-1 with a 28mm , 50mm and 80-200 zoom and a sekonic l-558 r spot meter. i am a photo major and have been taking classes at santa monica college for 2 years and i am confident i can do a good job, it is for my boyfriends dad, i have shot him before and he is a perfact subject ( an actor) they asked me to shoot it pretty late notice and i havent been able to get a hold of them to make a shot list. i was planning on taking the formal portraits with my 80-200 as well as my 28(on a tripod of coarse) and use the 80-200 lens for the ceremony,& then use my 28mm for some photojounalistic portraits at the reception(if there is one)do you guys thimk this is a good approach i have been doing alot of research (thank you photo.net!)also they are an older couple any tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! thanks for taking the time to read this i really appreciate it, megan</p>

<p>I think you need a flash. Daytime weddings often mean contrasty light, and many times, you can't control situations, so you have to go with what you 'get'. A flash, used skillfully, can help mitigate not so ideal lighting conditions.</p>

<p>As for the approach, without being there, it is hard to give advice. Except, I do know that older couples don't like to take much time for photography. They much rather be socializing with their friends, so be prepared to shoot fast and to even bargain for photo time.</p>

<p>And, you need some kind of back up for the camera body, lens and flash.</p>

<p>Also, given you don't have a 35mm lens, I'd shoot group formals with the 50mm rather than the 28mm, unless you can keep groups more centered (distortion). Without knowing what kind of photojournalistic portraits you mean, I don't know if the 28mm would be too wide--it generally is, when you are talking about portraits.</p>

<p>thanks, i was worried about that i noticed alot of wide wedding shots when researching, ill stay away from the 28mm for the portraits, could it work as a kinda artsy portrait for a small group?? would it be worth a try or will it just round out there faces??how about a yellow #8 filter for skin tones?? thanks again,megan</p>

<p>You should not be taking my word for it, re the 28mm. I know photojournalistic/environmental portraits can be done with a wide lens, however, I would assume one should be aware of the potential for distortion on faces. If you keep faces toward the center, distortion is minimized. This is a up to you and how YOU want the images to look. Yes, it can be kinda artsy.</p>

<p>Even when I shot black and white film, I never used filters for photos of people (other than something like a Softar). Unless you routinely do this, I personally would not. But then again--this is up to you. Be aware that weddings happen very fast. Most of the time, one does not have much time to be fiddling with filters. Are you going to scan the negs or actually print from them?</p>

<p>Had to refresh my memory about yellow filters for black and white. It confirmed my memory of using one once on a portrait to minimize freckles, since it lightens yellow/orange/red tones. Again, since you will be photographing many different people, I'd think the varying effect on varying skin tones may give some unpredictable results. Why were you thinking of doing this?</p>

<p>Wow--you're going to print them all? I would not be so brave. When you photograph a wedding, you are shooting A LOT.</p>

<p>And, one tip from my film days. Be sure you double check the film is winding in the camera. I made it a habit to put a crimp in the leader and to tighten the slack in the roll to check that the film was engaged, every roll.</p>

<p>thanks again, i'll stay away from the filter, the less variables the better, i love printing but i was thinking of having them pick out there favorites for some nice fiber prints them mabey put the rest (of the good ones into a book as a gift) thank you so much for the advice!! i am kinda worried about not hearing from them to make a shot list</p>

<p>It is not clear what 50mm & 80 to 200 lenses you have, but even if they are the F1.8 and F2.8L respectively . . . other than potential barrel distortion using the 28mm: here are another few more reasons for using the 50mm (and not the 80 to 200) for the Portraits, etc <br>

<br>

1. You will be able to work closer with the 50mm than the 80 to 200, if you use flash fill this will be to your advantage.<br>

<br>

2. It is in a backyard - working closer for full and half portraits will also be an advantage as many backyards are neither large nor necessarily landscaped for a large shooting distances.<br>

<br>

3. Subject emphasis using Selective DoF will be easier: both the 50F1.8 and F1.4 are pretty crisp at F2 and using the 50mm will be give great leverage to your creativity – especially if yours is an F4.5 to F5.6 zoom.<br>

<br>

4. You will be shooting at pace for the formal / semi formal posed shots. Do not underestimate how important it is to understand this issue. <br>

Even though second marriages tend to be a little more relaxed, with that relaxed approach is usually a more demonstrative client, wishing more time with guests than for photography - so, IMO keeping it as simple as possible for one who has no great deal of experience is Wedding Photography is a very good idea.<br>

<br>

***</p>

<p>That said, I love my 24mm lens on my 5D and I really like the (single and couple) portraits I can take with that combination: but those are NOT at a Wedding (usually), but rather when I have more time for framing and composition . . . so . . .</p>

<p>As you like B&W as the medium and photojournalism as an approach, I suggest if you can, you borrow a second body, and use only the 28mm and the 50mm - but only IF you feel you can handle two cameras.<br>

<br>

If not, then use your AE-1, primarily with your 50mm and keep the 28mm in your pocket, and bring it out when you have the time so to do.<br>

<br>

I strongly suggest you use a flash outdoors - and learn the techniques of Flash Fill in Sunlight.<br>

<br>

For SOME shots, if you really want punch, an Orange Filter will give more drama than a Yellow Filter – but you must note the colour of the Bride’s dress - it is likely that it will not be White, and if it is a Pastel Blue, or similar Pastel to Mid Blue hue, I would avoid an Orange Filter (and also Yellow Filter).<br>

<br>

WW</p>