Manual lenses on digital cameras

dennis_w3

<p>I've heard that there are some digital SLRs that will accept interchangable lenses from 35 mm SLRs. I have a full range of Topcors (Topcon) from 20 mm to 300 mm. I've always loved them and would like to use them with an adapter on a digital. The ones I've read about are Olympus and Canon EOS. Does anyone have opinions on how to do this and where to obtain the appropriate adapters? And what does the term 4/3 mean?</p>

<p>There are many lenses from the 35 mm slr days from different manufacturers that will fit in the digital counter part. What camera were you using with those Topcors lenses?<br>

Assuming you know what camera those Topcors fit originally you can source out adapters from many different places. Most notably eBay and the far east countries. You can also find some from Fotodiox and Novoflex.<br>

4/3 is the name Olympus, Panasonic and Leica gave to the sensor for their DSLR camera bodies. The 4/3 size sensor is about 1/2 the size of a full frame 35 mm sensor which is around 24mm X 36mm.</p>

<p>Without knowing the details I would think it very possible becuase it looks like your Topcon lens have a mount to sensor/film distance of 55mm which gives plenty of room to mount them properly wih an adaptor so that you can have infinity focus on say a Canon EOS at 44m. Even more room with the 4/3 mount cameras. You should check <a href="http://www.dpreview.com">www.dpreview.com</a> for articles about 4/3 and micro4/3. Beware of cameras which refuse to work with non proprietary lens they cannot couple their automatics to.<br>

Though personally however much you like those lens it is much nicer to have fully coupled lens to embrace what digital has to offer. I guess I have been spoilt by the digital age :-)</p>

<p>Most DSLRs are APS sized at either a x1.5 or x1.6 ratio ... x.666 or x.625 the size of the 35mm film gate/sensor while the 4/3 frmat has a factor of x2 or 50% as Hansen wrote. In practice this means that your 50mm 'standard' lens has an angle of view equivalent to a 75 or 80mm lens fitted to a 35mm camera. So whatever camera you buy it is likely you will want a wide-angle lens for it and your Topcors will be the longer focal length lens in your stable.</p>

<p>"what does the term 4/3 mean?"<br>

4/3 is an Olympus lead DSLR mount/format. Beside a new name to differentiate from their old film based OM mount, the 4/3 mount also has the shortest flange to sensor requirement . As a result, it is also the most lens compatible mount. </p>

<p>I have sucessfully mounted Pentax M42 lenses on Canon EOS. I got a EOS-M42 adapter, and the lens to film plane of the Pentax M42 (46.5mm) was greater then the Canon EOS registration distance of 44mm, thus preserving infinity focus. A suitable adapter for the camera mount of your topcon lenses would be needed...</p>

<p>"4/3" is a misnomer. The name is FourThirds ... read all about it here:<br>

http://four-thirds.org/</p>

<p>Because the FourThirds SLR cameras have a short mount register, they are the most adaptable SLR cameras around. A Topcon D to FourThirds adapter is available from CameraQuest.com:<br>

http://www.cameraquest.com/adapt_olyE1.htm</p>

<p>Godfrey</p>