Suggestions of lenses for a hot air balloon ride?

juha_lehtovaara

<p>I recently took a helicopter ride and had to remove the 70-300 mm VR under very bouncy conditions with no doors on the craft in order to mount a Sigma 30 mm f1.4. I couldn't get wide enough shots to do the scene justice at 70 mm with the zoom lens. Fortunately, I didn't lose anything... Go with the 18-55 and you'll be happy with results. </p>

<p>I did a balloon ride some years ago in the Lake District (UK) on a lovely summer evening. The ride is very smooth indeed once you cast loose. A superwide is essential (I wish I'd had my 14-24 then) for shots of the surrounding scenery and also the balloon, burners, pilot, etc. I agree that a long lens would be useful if you can carry more.<br>

It was a tremendous experience. We came in to land in Bowness, drifting past some apartments that were not overlooked - except, at that moment, by 8 people in a huge balloon - just as a chap in one of them opened his curtains after a late nap - completely stark naked.<br>

One word of advice - make sure your kit is stowed safely before you land - I seem to recall that was a bit iffy, crouching down in the basket and hoping it didn't tip over.</p>

<p>A couple years ago I surprised my wife with a sunrise balloon ride over Napa for our anniversary. Not knowing what to expect, I took only my 18-200. It was nice that I got some decent wide angle shots -- including some inside the basket -- and the long end was nice to get shots of San Francisco even though it was foggy. For the early setup shots of the balloons, a faster lens might have been helpful.</p>

<p>In your case, I would pack both lenses. It is not the easiest to change lenses in a balloon because you are standing in a basket with other people, but it can be done. You can get some great vista shots as well as close ups of distant objects including other balloons in the area. The ride is generally very smooth.</p>

<p>Next time I would add the 12-24 just to get a wider angle of view and for nice close ups inside the basket.</p>

<p>Agree with Bruce on starting with the 18-55 and switching to the 70-300mm when you need it. I think whichever lens does not matter for such rides as the most important thing is to enjoy it!</p>

<p>I know of photographers who spend so much time on deciding and changing lenses that they just forget to enjoy the ride.</p>

<p>Writing from New Mexico and the International Balloon Fiesta, I'd recommend as wide as you can. Telephotos let you zoom in on the ground, but you don't get the feeling you're in a balloon. This is one area where a fisheye is fun, makes the horizon look curved. It gets cramped in the basket, and landings can be bumpy, it's my experience the less equipment banging around the better. You also want to enjoy the ride and not worry about changing this or that and missing the experience.<br>

Also, keep in mind that while you don't feel like you're moving, you are. A common mistake is to use too slow of a shutter speed, and you get blurry shots.<br>

Have fun and enjoy, don't forget to get photos of yourself :)</p>

<p>[[it is not the easiest to change lenses in a balloon because you are standing in a basket with other people, but it can be done.]]</p>

<p>Having ridden in a balloon for the first time this past summer, I can only echo Bruce's comment above. You will (probably) be packed tightly in there and everyone will have an edge.</p>

<p>I took along my Sigma 17-70 and found it to be a good fit. Your telephoto can be nice for compressing scenes in front of you (not for zooming straight down) but wide is indeed fun. </p>

<p>If you can have an extra person there on the ground with you, you could always hand off the second lens if you didn't feel comfortable with it. Also, having a person on the ground means they can take a photo of you just after liftoff :)</p>

<p>You will indeed be packed like sardines with other passengers in the hot-air balloon basket. Actually you will have some difficulty getting to shoot from the right angle sometimes, but you can change lenses once in a while; perhaps it is best not to do that every 2 minutes.<br>

Again, your two lenses are not that big. I would bring them both. Make sure you wear a jacket with big pockets so that you can put the lens you are not using in the pocket for easy retrieval. Hot-air balloon rides are usually early in the morning when outside temperature is cold so that you can get the most lift from the hot air. You'll need to wear a jacket anyway. Forget about any camera backpack on board.</p>