Do you tape your camera's logo and type

nwphotog

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>brian what i don't understand is how "masking over the manufacturer name, or model number" leads to "should not be photographing in the first place". it certainly sounds a lot like a condemnation to me... and it comes off a little harsh my friend. i appreciate that perhaps that wasn't your intent but it sure came off that way.<br>

condemn-<br>

<table border="0">

<tbody >

<tr >

<td >

<p>"to express an unfavorable or adverse judgment on; indicate strong disapproval of; censure."<br>

the whole thread seems to be a condemnation of someone's personal choice. whether it be theft prevention, attempting a low profile, protecting the camera, covering labels etc etc. </p>

<p>some "pro's" tape lens hoods onto lenses (it can get rough in the scrums). they tape lenses at a fixed focal point and zoom point... power up that flash and pop away! some "pro's" tape up the top plate because on occasion you need to run. a pair of d3's slopping about your neck and shoulder at full gallop can cause a lot of damage. some "pro's" tape up strap lugs. there is a sickening sound to your 1ds mkIIN hitting the pavement. some "pro's" tape because the sands of the namib in mozambique can be relentless in it's pursuit of the inner workings of your gear. some pro's tape because they need the lowest profile they can muster. some "pro's" tape because the zipper on body armor can do serious damage to a camera in about 8-12 hours. some pro's tape up their m8's to prevent buttons from being triggered and shutter releases from finding it's way into the self timer position by contact with a heavy flak jacket (borrowed from mr. kamber).<br>

the point is there are people who tape for very good reasons beyond being pretentious or posers (i realize these are not your words). to judge anyone without knowing their motivation is... to borrow someone elses words "nonsensical".<br>

i tape. it's not because i am a "poser" or "nonsensical" or "pretentious".</p>

</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

</p>

<p>As expressed by my opinion, and that of others on here, taping the manufacturer's name means nothing and is nonsensical. It seems almost "fear" for people to tape up their cameras and that's partly what I meant by "shouldn't be photographing in the first place." Did you ever see Ansel Adams do that with any of his cameras?</p>

<p>well i guess if you say it enough brian it must be true.<br>

ansel adams is such a completely singular, isolated example that i don't even understand the point?<br>

anyhow, don't tape you camera's up. it's really your choice. i only ask that the folks that do maintain the right to take pictures.</p>

<p>Let's keep beating this dead horse. I'll just highlight two things that have come through in this thread:</p>

<p>1. Most of those who tape (including me) apparently <em>don't </em> tape to deter theft; we all agree it's a pretty pointless anti-theft tactic. (I explained why I <em>do </em> tape pretty early in this thread.)</p>

<p>2. Both "those who tape" and "those who are proud of logos" are often perceived by the other as "pretentious" (so I guess we're <em>all </em> pretentious in someone's mind!).</p>

<p>I tape, but I have no problem with those who don't, so I'm not sure why some who don't tape have problems with those who do.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>This has got to be the silliest thread I've read. Hey, if HCB did it...</p>

<p>To think that people give a whit about what kind of camera you shoot. No one has taken a second look at my cam, engaged me in conversation about it, or looked like they wanted to steal it out of my hands. After many *tons* of snaps in urban environments over many years.</p>

<p> </p>

www.citysnaps.net

<p>No I dont put tape on my camera or lens to hide their identity. I dont want sticky gooey stuff on my expensive camera, wont buy a camera or gear that has sticky gooey stuff on it eather. In a year and a half of owning that camera I have been approached twice one guy thought I was a Pro and ask me to take a picture of him and his wife with his camera, the other wanted to know about my big white 100-400. I have never noticed anybody else oogling my camera or gear. I did notice a guy with a big lens on a Nikon once gave me a dirty look. But thats about it guess, I'll have to spend alittle time looking around at the people when I have it with me. </p>

<p>I tape my camera's for two reasons<br>

- Not having to engage in silly discussions over equipment.<br>

I shoot a of lot of sport with long lenses, and that does seem to ignite a lot of p.n.s envy, resulting in e.g. discussions over why my high end Nikons are inferior to even the lowliest Canon cameras, or triumphant exclamations when people think I missed the shot despite my flashy equipment while they have it nailed with their entry level DSLR and lens<br>

- Keeping my camera's in reasonable shape<br>

I.e. getting them not too scratched and too busted up in case I would want to sell it in future. I must admit that during a shoot I'm not always too carefull where and how I put down my stuff when switching bodies or lenses.<br>

I'm not much in the 'being proud of my equipment', it's gear I use to get the job done, and I will buy what I need if costs don't get absurd.<br>

That's why during my near 30 years of semi-professional I stuck to Nikon. The costs of switching system (multiple bodies and main use lenses) don't justify the temporary advantage the two main professional (D) SLR camera makers at times have over each other. That doesn't prevent me though from buying third party lenses ( for occasional or recreational use), flashes (GN and recycle time) or filters (cost) etc. when need arises.</p>

<p>I just realized that a "NO" was missing in the story.</p>

<p>It should be:<br>

A guy hided his 300 silver coins under the tree in his front yard. After finishing the burying, he put a bamboo stick on the spot and wrote: “there are <strong>NO</strong> 300 silver coins here”<br />A neighbor took the coins and wrote on the stick: “Neighbor X didn’t take them”</p>

<p>Tape logos, heck, I tape the whole camera to my harness when parachuting into dangerous 3rd world photography spots or areas full of wrinkled, old derelict men just crying out to be shot in black and white. It leaves me able to clinch a knife in my teeth and my hands free for an automatic weapon. No pansy logo strap for me. Green light? Gotta go. Geronomo. Oops, Nikooooon.</p>

<p>I taped a couple lens hoods with black electrical tape - the first was after I dropped the camera it was attached to, and the hood cracked; the second was because the hood was poorly engineered and wanted to come apart on its own.</p>

<p>On the same idea of this thread, I bring raggedy looking equipment with me, the older film bodies with well-used lenses, when I want to look like a rank amateur for any reason and am not concerned with shooting digital; but when quality and convenience are the key, I don't hesitate to bring any of my biggest, name-brandinest equipment depending upon what is called for.</p>

<p>I've heard of some photogs, particularly at events that draw lots of media coverage, taping with grey duct tape to make the lenses and such look crappy and old, especially compared to the hundreds of other 400, 500, and 600mm primes and 1d bodies with CANON all over them. Not so much to hide the logos, because a white lens is a white lens (unless it's Sony, ha), but just to make it look ugly.</p>

<p>I don't blame latecomers for not reading this entire thread, so I'll say it one more time:</p>

<p><strong><em>Nobody in this entire thread who tapes has said they do so to deter thieves.</em> </strong></p>

<p>They (we) do it for other reasons (reasons listed above by multiple posters), but <em>not to prevent theft.</em> Everybody clear on that? Good.</p>

<p>Jeez, people get very emotional about this tape thing. I Don't quite understand that.<br>

Anyway, to those who tape their camera to prevent damage: I use a Camera Armor (<a href="http://www.cameraarmor.us/"> www.cameraarmor.us </a> ) for that. Pretty nifty thing that absorbs more impact than a bit of tape and doesn't leave glue. It also has a permanent screen cover, translucent but not AR coated, which is a nuisance in bright sunlight. Not really bothered by that, prevents me from looking at the screen too much.<br>

This thread needs more pictures to lighten up the mood I think. This is me in a toilet at the fortress in Alicante, Spain, with an all-dark camera.</p><div>00S9l4-105741584.JPG.d82f721463eceef83e5973e1716a4885.JPG</div>

<p>I just change the camera strap, why advertise what you have? Is it going to make you a better photographer? Do you fell better about your self if your walking around with a camera strap that says NIKON D3 in yellow letters? It's no different than putting a sign on your back and advertise I have $5000.00 in my back pocket. </p>