Canon 50mm f/1.2 ltm on a pre-war "Barnack"

william._a.

<p>Does anyone on the forum use a Canon 50mm f/1.2 ltm on a pre-war "Barnack" Leica?.<br>

Other than the partly blocked viewfinder which can be overcome by using a SBOOI finder,does the rangefinder give any problem with correct focus considering the lens has very shallow d.o.f. at the full aperture of f/1.2.</p>

<p>I haven't use that combo, but I'd bet the rangefinder should work so long as the camera and the lens are adjusted correctly. While Barnack models were still current, there was 85/1.5 Summarex and even before the WWII, there was super-fast Hektor 73/1.9 and Xenon 50/1.5, both was rangefinder-coupled lenses. The focusing should be, of course, very critical, though.</p>

<p>Effective baseline for the rangefinder is 58.5mm, which is more than an M6, which can focus a Noctilux, and more than the Canon 7 as well. So no accuracy problem there. However, the built-up cameras (IIIb and earlier) really aren't rigid enough to hold the flange-film distance, so you should use at least a IIIc.<br>

Ungainly, but accurate.</p>

<p>The worst problem that I have is holding the camera in the same position when shifting from the RF window to the viewfinder. Move the camera 1/2inch, and you are going to notice the results if shooting close-up. So it's going to take a bit of practice holding the camera in the same position. The RF can provide the required focus accuracy.</p>

<p>Many thanks to Akira,John,Brian and Winfried for your very useful comments and recommendations.<br>

I am hoping to try the lens on my Leica II and IIIc in the next week or two.<br>

I was worried that the "Barnack II" and the IIIc might have some difficulties in accurate focus with this lens particularly as some Leica M and M8 users had reported problems with even the latest Leica M's when using the high speed Noctilux and Canon f/1.2 Ltm lenses on their cameras.</p>

<p> </p>

• 2 months later...