Need advice on a good lens for Nikon D300

alex_p.2

<p>I'm making the big switch from film to digital. I have used a Nikon FG for about 12 years and really like the camera but I'm finally going to splurge on a D300. I need a great general purpose lens that is compact (I only travel with one lens) and can shoot in low light. I tend to stay in the 24-70mm range (really like the wide angle for interiors, etc.). I've heard about the VRs but know very little about new lenses so I'd like advice from those who know. Any advice is appreciated! </p>

<p>One lens, low light, and an effective range of approx 24-70mm (remembering DX crop factor of D300)...<br>

I'd say 80% of people here would point you towards the 17-55 f/2.8 DX which is purported to be an excellent match with the D300. I'm not sure whether you'd call it "compact" but its not huge either compared to the other pro zooms.</p>

<p>VR = Vibration Reduction (Nikonese for "Image Stablization"). It's very useful for still subjects in low light, particularly at telephoto lengths. It's nice to have for wide-to-medium, but I wouldn't worry about it for those lengths.</p>

<p>Are you aware that the D300 is a crop frame? 24mm is not very wide on a D300, you'd need 16mm to cover the same field of view (FOV). Given that focal range, the 16-85 AF-S VR DX would probably satisfy you. If you need speed, the 17-55 f/2.8 AF-S DX is another option with a similar range as the 24-70 on full frame. The 17-55 does not have VR, but it's less necessary being shorter and faster lens.</p>

<p>If you can afford to spend an extra thousand-or-so, the full-frame D700 will make for a nicer transition from film to digital. The image pane is the same size as 35mm film, you can still use all your lenses with the same FOV that you're accustomed to with 35mm film.</p>

<p>All the currently available Nikkor midrange zooms with VR are slowpoke variable aperture types, f/3.5-f/4.5 or f/3.5-f/5.6. Great for daylight use or indoor with flash, or if you crank up the ISO, but limited. OTOH, the D300 has very good low noise/high ISO performance, so a variable aperture zoom would be less a hindrance for most casual photography.</p>

<p>In fast midrange zooms, f/2.8, there are also some potentially interesting third party lenses, so be sure to check out the latest from Sigma, Tamron and Tokina.</p>

<p>Fast for low light, in the 24-70mm range <em>and </em>compact = does not compute (alas) nothing to fulfil all these criteria will be compact.</p>

<p>A good lens for the D300 is something like the 18-70mm DX</p>

<p>A truly great lens for the D300 is the 17-55 f/2.8 DX. I can highly recommend this combination from experience. Sits perfectly inside your 24 -70mm focal range preference on a DX body. This lens and the high ISO performance of the D300 makes VR un-necessary as fast enough shutter speeds are attainable in most situations - end of story.</p>

<p>The 17-50mm f2.8 or 17-55mm f2.8 would be my 1 lens only selection. However if you feel a single prime lens would be the answer as they are more compact I would suggest either the 28mm or 35mm f2.0 lens. A high quality P/S might also be something to consider as they are much more compact and they are really coming out with excellent models these days.</p>

<p>hi alex,<br>

the 17-55/2.8 is a great general-purpose lens that covers the 24-70 range on DX but... it's not exactly compact or lightweight. if that's a dealbreaker for you, i'd recommend the tamron 17-50/2.8, which costs 2/3rds less. there's very little difference in IQ if any; the main advantages of the 17-55 are build quality and AF-S, at a weight premium. IMO a fast constant aperture is more useful than VR, but it kinda depends on your shooting style. VR wont help with freezing motion but it will reduce camera shake so you can shoot still subjects in low light at lower shutter speeds.<br>

if your primary use is travel, snapshots, and casual use, i'd go for the 18-200 VR, easily the most convenient nikon superzoom lens out there. if you're more into landscapes and want better IQ than the 18-200, go for the 16-85 VR. if you want a lens which is truly all-purpose, meaning it doesn't have problems capturing moving subjects in low-light, go for a 2.8 wide-mid zoom like the 17-55 or 17-50. you might also want to consider a FF lens like the tamron 28-75/2.8, sigma 24-60/2.8, or even the nikon 24-70/2.8 (which is even beastlier than the 28-70/2.8) for use on your FG. however, you'll lose the wide end on a DX body.</p>

<p>I'm a recent switcher from film as well. I really like my 16-85. It's compact (not that light, though) and the VR helps with low light. It's very sharp for a zoom lens, and it goes as wide as I'd want to go.<br>

I wouldn't use it for architectural photography because there is some distortion (doesn't affect the kind of pictures I take). It also has vignetting which can be noticeable if you shoot a scene with an even background colour, particularly if you boost the contrast. <br>

Bear in mind that high ISO (eg 1600) on the D300 will give much better quality than the equivalent ISO on film, which means that you may not need your lenses to be as fast. <br>

I also have the 50mm 1.8 which is cheap and so small and light that it's worth carrying as well. Being a prime lens it's sharp and has no perceptible distortion or vignetting. </p>

<p>"Nikon makes one. It meters on a D300 just fine using the non cpu menu."<br>

to be technically correct, that should have been "nikon MADE one." it's no longer in their current lineup and could be a lot harder to find than either the 35/2 or 30/1.4. IMO suggesting exotics and legacy lenses usually doesnt help folks who dont already know about them.</p>

<p>I would recommend the 16-85mm VR if taking only one lens and image quality is very important, otherwise the 18-200mm VR is the standby for many people.<br>

A no compromise alternative is to get a f2.8 wide angle zoom in the 17-55mm range and add a Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 lens. You then have f2.8 from 17mm to 150mm which on a film camera would be 24mm to 225mm at f2.8.The extra weight would be for the 50-150mm f2.8 lens which is about 1.7 lbs for this 3" x 5" lens that sells for $650.<br>

For people who like ultra wide angle for indoor shooting one of the 10-22mm zooms could be used in place of the 17-55mm, and the 50-150mm makes a great people lens.</p>

<p>Eric I have no desire to get a P match with you. I see no reason to not educate people to what is available. I know B&H has it listed as backordered, NikonUSA still lists it as available with a few other AIS lenses, I have no inside info as to its current manufacture. They are available if desired, KEH has a LN- I am sure they will sell to whoever whats it. If someone is interested in a very high quality lense that is fast I think this one is one to consider. Personally I am somewhat interested in it myself but my 35mm f2 AIS just may be good enough. To each their own.</p>