Need help with background issue for infant shoot

betty_lowrey

<p>I'm doing a sitting with a brand new infant tomorrow. I normally work with no "artificial" backgrounds (that is, I always take advantage of the surroundings). However, the mother has insisted I bring a seamless black background to use.<br>

Being that I've never used anything like this before, any suggestions on how to make the best of it? Lighting, placement of the subject, etc? I'm using a D300 with most likely a combination of my 18-200 3.5 lens and my 30mm prime.</p>

<p>Any help would be greatly appreciated.</p>

<p>To insure my background stays black when using one light, I have a 2 stop different where the model will stand and background. The lighting I used is a large softbox and/or beauty dish. Another thing I notice that I like when using a black background I like to have shadows in the subject's face for a mood and fits when using the color black as a background, so I will have my light source slightly at an angle to the subject.<br>

Bill</p>

<p> Tomorrow? I'd have been playing with the background and the lighting using a doll as my model days ago, just to make sure I've got the whole thing scienced out. If you're going through the D300's electronics for the flash, you'll be fine. Otherwise, I'm assuming you have a flashmeter.<br>

Anticipate and test situationally beforehand. Since you'll be doing that today, and have the lighting scienced out, the only tip I can give you is to put a reflector flat, just out of the frame, in front of the baby to kick up some light onto its underside. You may look at it and decide you don't like it, but by testing, you'll know and have solved many potential problems before you arrive.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Amanda,<br>

If you don't have a black back drop go to walmart or fabric store and buy a few yards. My piece is pretty narrow so sometimes I have to clone the black in some areas of the background. Not a biggy.I have a huge black backdrop which is way to much hassle sometimes so the piece of fabric works great when I need it.</p>

• 7 months later...

<p>Elaine,<br>

Thanks for the link. Did you do any post editing with exposure at all? How did you get the light so even in the fill area of the photo if it was side window light? Thanks again! I'm doing my first "at home" newborn shoot in a couple weeks. I am a Studio Manager of a Portrait studio so I have the posing, props, blankets, etc down..but have never set up a indoor natural setting yet any tips are greatly appreciated!!</p>