Canon or Nikon

aivarsusi

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>This is downright ridiculous. And unfair. What is the site management doing. About 4 months back I had the misfortune to post a similar thread. The title was somewhat like this: " I am posting a stark naked question- Canon or Nikon? " This post was immediately deleted by site moderators, accompanied by a rebuke! Now at this moment in time have the standards changed?</p>

<p><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=969715">Len Chrucky</a> "I can't prove that Canon delivers the best image quality but Canon currently makes the fastest glass. That is a fact. F/1.2 baby!"<br>

<br /> Hey, use google.com to find out more information about lenses from Nikon. We have f/1.2!<br /> Anyway.<br /> When I take my first DSLR, which was Nikon D70s, a very good camera in that time (and now too) I read all time about Canon. I was a bridge and p&s and slr Canon user. So, I go to the shop, very pleased by the Canon 400D. But someone close to me it was have a Nikon D70s in his hand...I take it in my hand, I looked at this body (with 18-70)...I like the colour red and black and I ask that person: are you ok with this camera? He said..."at work I use Canon, at home Nikon. Yes, I do." I take a look a few moments, I go at home and read about this D70s. After a week I found my self searching for a good price on internet. I took the camera after one month of waiting, from Germany...It cost more than a Canon in that moment, but I was very happy with it.<br /> So...decide by your self. Both are good. Pentax also.<br /> How much do you have? What photos do you want to take? Wild, landscape, macro, studio, casual, jurnalism...etc..this is the problem that you have no which system to buy!.<br /> You need a body, one or two memory cards, one or more lenses (maybe with time to take this lens), camera bag, maybe a flash, filters, tripod...and so on...<br /> Good luck!</p>

<p>Poor bugger...fair dinkum.<br>

The editor of Luminous Landscape put it well recently. He has 20 years on Nikon, then 12 years on Canon. Now he is on Nikon again. He summarises it best by saying that all things being equal, pricepoint to pricepoint, right up to Mk3 and 3Dx, the imaging results are almost the same now. He even says to add the Sony A900 as well. What it boils down to is this: Nikons ergonomics are a bit better...they make the camera get out of the way easier. With Nikon, a persons investment in lenses is also protected. But Canon digital images have some extra smoothness which can't be defined, but their ergonomics are not as good, so you end up fiddling more.<br>

Its the Mercedes v BMW thing...a good analogy. Both are now outstanding.</p>

<p>:) Well, some people need to make decision... For example, I was a Canon shooter for the past 15 years (once I decided to buy SLR, a friend of mine just pointed at Canon, and I bought it). Since then I had XTi which I shoot primarily with primes (50 1.4 and 85 1.8). I was waiting for 5D markII until I made a mistake to go to the Best Buy which had a demo D700... And now, I am screwed, as I really like the feeling of Nikon in my hands, and I liked the controls and responses of the camera wrt to XTi. Now, I feel really weird of having a set of like 8 Canon lenses to get FF Nikon camera with 50mm 1.4G. As the result, I digged out my film camera and now I shoot slides until I come up with the decision...</p>

<p>dont want to stir up another debate, if I were you I would go for the full frame sensor regardless of the brand, look at this comparison of the crop factor cameras and their actual sensor sizes. 5d MK1 for example, can be found at very good price now and still is an amazing camera even though its been on a market for quite some time.</p>

<p>

<table border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="5" width="460" align="left">

<tbody>

<tr>

<td> </td>

<td><strong><a href="../canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/crop-factor.htm">Crop Factor </a></strong></td>

<td><strong>Sensor Size </strong></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td><strong><a href="../canon/1-3x.htm">Canon 1.3x</a> </strong></td>

<td>1.255x</td>

<td>63%</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td><strong>Leica M8 </strong></td>

<td>1.33x</td>

<td>57%</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td><strong><a href="../nikon/dx.htm">Nikon DX </a></strong></td>

<td>1.523x</td>

<td>43%</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td><strong><a href="../canon/1-6x.htm">Canon 1.6x </a></strong></td>

<td>1.622x</td>

<td>38%</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td><strong>Sigma</strong></td>

<td>1.7x</td>

<td>35%</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td><strong>4:3 System </strong></td>

<td>2x</td>

<td>25%</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

</p>

<p align="left"> </p>

<p align="left"> </p>

<p align="left"> </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Most definately Nikon. They are number 1 manufacturer. Canon feel cheap compared to Nikon to work with and just look at most of the reviews and you will find that Nikon has overtaken Canon in terms of image quality and ISO performance. For example the image quality of the 12 mega pixel Nikon D300 was regarded as superior to the 15 mega pixel Canon EOS 50D. More Nikons are now sold in Japan, Europe and America than Canon's. Think this might have something to do with the wonderful hands on reviews they have had. Hope that helps. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Its the Mercedes v BMW thing...a good analogy. Both are now outstanding"<br /> Audi :-P<br>

SAAB :P</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If Canon and Pentax are, to use this example, the Mercedes and BMW of DSLRs, then Audi and SAAB are the Sony and Pentax - really fine products, but so far used by a smaller number of people.</p>

<p>I could extend my previous point about the functional equivalence of Nikon and Canon gear to include Pentax and Sony in most ways.</p>

<p>You can get a Ferrari but you dont have time to use it...Someone here said Hassy :P<br>

I am not happy for my D300 or F100. Why?! For a half a year I dont have time photos. I have another job, but sometimes I use it for weddings, some portrait, macro, personal use...If dont have time for photos or isnt a job for you to take photos for weddings, comercial stuff, etc...you can take whatever you want. Just pick a system and go with it.<br>

Anyway I begin from 1 January a project for my self. Everyday a photo. 365 days and 365 photos. And post it to a web host. In this way I challange my self...and use my gear.<br>

Let us know about your decission :D<br>

Who still believe in Santa?:P</p>

<p>> For example the image quality of the 12 mega pixel Nikon D300 was regarded as superior to the 15 mega pixel Canon EOS 50D.<br>

Where is this example? And, what if both are inferior to a 6M CCD at ISO 1600 ? Don't believe? Look here:<br>

<a href="http://static.photo.net/attachments/bboard/00P/00P1sD-42677084.bmp">http://static.photo.net/attachments/bboard/00P/00P1sD-42677084.bmp</a></p>