?s for Pro Smugmug Users

<p>I'm considering switching from my current online sales provider and have a few questions I couldn't find answers to. I appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>These are all in relation to the $149 Pro account:<br>

1. What percentage does Smugmug charge on the profit margin you set?<br>

2. Can you set your own prices on items like books and gifts?<br>

3. Do you create a new Gallery for each wedding/event and then Categories/Subcategories (I'm a little confused on this)?<br>

4. Is there any capibility that you wish Smugmug had that would be really beneficial to your business?</p>

<p>1. 15%. But it's not based on the margin, it's based on the sale price. There is a big diff there when you're talking about numbers, so you really have to watch which one you actually mean. <br>

Because that 15% pays for the credit card fees, and I don't have to drive to my local lab (which I still love them), or mail, or do the paperwork for credit cards, or pay extra to have a shopping cart on my page - it's well worth it.</p>

<p>2. YES. Totally YOUR choice what price YOUR items sell at. It's also super easy to see your profit on each item as you price them, and you can choose to not sell some items.</p>

<p>3. That is up to you, but it's the best way to organize things. I started out by having a single gallery for each wedding, but that soon gets unweildy - having to sort through 400+ pics of the night.<br>

What I saw another photog do, and I like (but it's still a little unweildy at times).... Category: Weddings. Sub-Category: Groom-Bride last names. Gallery Title: Ceremony, Reception, Formals, etc. It keeps each gallery to 200 or less pics for people to look through to see the entire day. Categories keeps all the weddings in one area, separate from families, events, etc. Sub-categories keeps all the Smith pictures together, so people don't accidentally click into a Jones gallery. After clicking in Weddings, and then on Smith, Smith has their own page.</p>

<p>4. Coupons/Credits. It's something they're working on. Right now, I actually have to warn my clients to NOT order their pre-paid prints through Smugmug. Let their families look and order there. WE need to sit down and place their print order together, or I can't give them their credit.</p>

<p>1) 15% on your retail price. Very reasonable if you ask me.<br>

2) Yes.<br>

3) I do one gallery per event, but it sounds like putting categories - eg. getting ready, ceremony, etc. woudl be a good idea.</p>

<p>4) Credits for prints.</p>

<p>Just fyi, going from pictage to smugmug was one of the best decisions I made in 2007 or 2006 when I first started with it.</p>

<p>Hi Josh,</p>

<p>I really like using Smugmug. I won't repeat answers 1-3 but for me...</p>

<p>4) As a youth sports photographer, i wish they would have pricing for photo "packages". For example, A team photo 8 x 10, along with 4 wallets, a magnet, and 2 5 x 7's.<br>

The way i have to do things now, is i have to collect payments, and order the idividual items, and package them myself when they arrive.</p>

<p>Thanks for the info. To clarify the percentage answer: 1 4x6 print retail price set to $10 means photog gets $8.31 (15% of $10 plus .19 for the print). Is the correct?</p>

<p>Two other questions that came to mind:<br>

1. For proofing or orders that you place do you still use Smugmug or do you use another lab?<br>

2. What does the packaqging to the customer look like? Is it branded Smugmug or EZprints? Do they insert additional things (ads, coupons, etc.) with the orders?</p>

<p>Josh,</p>

<p>Yes to the percentage.</p>

<p>and the other questions:</p>

<p>1) I use SMGMG to 8x10's and a pro lab like Millers for larger prints. I limit the size they can order in the pro pricing usually. It's not that they do a bad job on larger sizes, just that I like to put extra effort into shots printed larger. Corrections etc.<br>

2) They don't "add" things, but it does say Smugmug on the packaging. For me that is not an issue as my clients know their galleries are hosted there anyhow.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>packaging from them labeled - smugmug, they don't put anything else in with the order, just contact sheets for different types of prints & paper<br>

you can also have your copyright printed on the back of each print<br>

as far as clients marking images, they can use the comment field to note things</p>

<p>No sense in repeating first two answers.<br />3. I have a 2009 Weddings category, a sub category for each couple, then galleries for each part of the day (pre-ceremony and ceremony, formals and groups, reception). I like that better than having 400-700 photos in one gallery with 50 pages.<br />4. They're "working on" a pro lab integration, but that's been going on for a while. I'd also like packages and print credits. I'd especially like print credits if it could be taken directly from my profit before they write the check.<br />There's a great support forum, <a href="http://www.dgrin.com">www.dgrin.com</a> where you can discuss all their features.<br />Sam</p>

<p>Smugmug also has outstanding customer service, and they are very open to hearing what people would like to see added to the site. I'm sure if you sent them a link to this thread, they would look at it and consider, or inform you of what they have coming up in the near future. They are a good bunch of people. As listed above, dgrin has a full support forum. Great place to use for customizing your smug site. Tons of smart people there to help. You would not be dissapointed with their services.</p>

• 9 months later...

<p>Josh,<br>

SumgMug does not offer all the services that other sites such as Zenfolio or Shutterbug do. They have been promising that many of these features are due to be released "soon." However soon has so far been dragging on for over 3 YEARS! They have assured me that the status has been upgraded to "very soon" however I lack the confidence in their company and wonder if "very soon" means another year and a half. <br>

In addition BEWARE that if you sign up for a free trail, and later decide that you their services are not up to your standards they refuse to pay you any of the profits you earned during the free trail. This means that any profits the customers paid for your services showing as profits earned by photographer will not be paid to you unless you sign up for their underfeatured services. </p>