20.000 shutter cycles 400D

david_altmann

<p>i have a EOS 400D and shot about 20.000 images with it. i now wonder when the shutter will start to malfunction. i dont carry a backup camera, so i might loose some opportunities if the shutter fails at the wrong moment. is it possible to ruin the shutter, just by shooting enough images ? what would you do with the camera ? besides of buying a new one of course :-)</p>

<p>thanks, D.</p>

<p>You can't count the clicks.</p>

<p>If you want to insure againt failure, carry a backup camera. The shutter on any camera could fail on the next shot, or could be good for 100,000 shots. You simply cannot tell. While a shutter ON AVERAGE might fail at 50,000 cycles, it's also quite possible the same shutter can fail at 10,000 cycles or 100,000 cycles. Neither is so rare that the possibility can be discounted.</p>

<p>

I'd take the "statistics" on the site cited above with a grain of salt. Most users have no idea how many shots they have taken and it's a self selected reporting set. It's likely that those with a complaint will post more than those without. It's far from a random sample of users.