Cleaning focus screens

david_waugh3

<p>As was suggested in another thread, I tried to clean my Acute Matte screen the other day using a cotton bud and distilled water. Unfortunately it has left a grimy reside over the screen. Not sure if it was dodgy distilled water or if it just has 'half cleaned' the stuff that was on there originally. Any ideas on how I should attack it from here? Thank you.</p>

<p>Cotton will just get little fibers all over whatever you are cleaning. Buy yourself one of those inexpensive blister packs that have a bottle of cleaning fluid, lens tissue and blower w/ a brush and you should be fine. Don't put the fluid on the screen. It will probably soak onto the other side and then you'll have to get the screen out of the camera to clean it. Just put a little fluid on the tissue and wipe the screen gently. A little magnifying glass and good light will help but it's not necessary.</p>

<p>I see this is answered but I would just like to add something - I was once cleaning a screen and got some of the cleaning fluid in between the layers of the focusing screen. Apparently, a screen is made of a very thin sheet of glass (I would almost thing it was 1/32 of an inch) on top of the 'cut' plastic Fresnel lens underneath all in a metal frame.<br>

Taking it all apart was nerve-wracking to say the least considering I had just paid over $150 for it.<br>

I was able to get it all apart, cleaned and back together without a problem but I would never spray cleaning fluid directly on a screen again. I would spray it on a microfiber cloth and gently wipe after using a blower.<br>

Hope this helps someone.</p>