Leica Super Wide-Angle Lens Choices

peter_de_waal

<p>For me the use of the separate hot shoe VF is sometimes pesky, fiddly, experience. But if its not a problem for you the Zeiss ZM 21mm F/4.5 is the sharpest and least distortion lens out there. For taking pictures of buildings to get rectilinear perfect shots its your best tool. Its also small. If you do this for your living then maybe you also want to pick up the fairly recent Voigtlander R4m or R4a a special wide angle rangefinder body which has built in 21mm and 25mm in the on board camera viewfinder. That way you can mount a hot shoe level up in your hot shoe to make sure you level your camera first before you shoot to get everything plumb.</p>

<p>David I have that setup with the 21mm VC but the R4 camera eliminates the need for the external vf and composing and metering and focusing is far easier while looking in just one VF internal to the camera, its called progress.<br>

"Zeiss ZM 21mm F/4.5 is the sharpest and least distortion lens out there. For taking pictures of buildings to get rectilinear perfect shots its your best tool."</p>

<p>I have to add that the idea of a level is cool, but the reality is that a substantial percentage of buildings, especially older buildings, simply are not plumb. A check through the viewfinder, even if not at the proper magnification, is preferable.</p>

<p>Be careful in using double hot shoe attachment, there will be parallax error when the height of the viewfinder is different from what the brightline frame is calibrated. There difference in the height of a M6 classic and a M6TTL already have significant difference, especially at close focus when the frameline is tight. I.e. In using M6TTL the dotted line has to be used in composition rather than the solid line for infinity.</p>

<p><<...metering and focusing is far easier while looking in just one VF internal to the camera, its called progress.>><br>

Personal preference, I think, Harvey. My M6 actually has the 28 and 135 framelines removed -- too cluttered. I prefer the clarity of a separate finder.<br>

Charles, WATE sounds ideal -- but its slower and heavier and even has some barrel distortion. Worth checking Sean Review's detailed reviews of ultra wide angles before buying. (A subscription site but worth it for a big purchase.)<br>

It really looks like Zeiss ZM 21 is an excellent performer -- and less costly than the Leica 21 -- but Voigtländer is even better value for money.</p>

<p> </p>

<p><br /></p>

<p> </p>