Pentax software useful to you?

doug_nelson3

<p>I just got my K20D and 21mm DA. You folks on this forum have yourselves at least partly to thank for my decision ; I like what I read here about Pentax. I like the way the K20D feels in my hand, and the svelte proportions of the DA 21. I like the logical layout of the most often used controls.<br />In downloading the Laboratory 3 software, I find the Help pages inadequate and poorly written. Do you find the distortion correction function useful? Not a clue as to what "Correction Balance" and "Compensation" mean. Can you do any real tonal and/or color correction to a DNG raw? Can either RAW format be converted to a high-bit TIF to be further worked in PS7? Just trying to open a RAW to see what it looks like; I know I'll be needing one of the CS's soon.</p>

<p>Over the past four years, I've owned three different Pentax DSLRs. The only software that I found useful is the remote assistant that lets you shoot tethered to a laptop--it's pretty acceptable software.</p>

<p>If your budget is kaput, I would think learning the Laboratory software would be worthwhile. Otherwise I'd recommend jumping right into either Lightroom, Aperture (if you have a Mac), or Adobe Elements. Any of these is far easier to learn.</p>

<p>ME</p>

<p>Laboratory and Photobrowser: The developers where high on LSD when they developed the User Interface. That is why the windows and panels and everything is all over the place. So take a shot of the good old 70ies drug, and you will probably understand it. If that is not tempting, buy Lightroom (or Aperture (mac) which I don't now but probably is just as good). Get PSE or Paint Shop Pro XII if you need to do much local adjustments (however, stay away from Paint Shop Pro if you want to convert PEF, I found it to be awful converting Pentax Raw files)</p>

<p>In other words, Laboratory is crap.</p>

<p>Slight correction, the results may be good if you learn the software, I just never had the patience, or drugs available.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I use Aperture but the Pentax photo browser is still somewhat useful. After the images are downloaded to a folder, I can quickly look at them without the necessity of importing them into Aperture. Also, I found it useful to quickly see complete EXIF information. <br>

The interfaces for the browser and laboratory are definitely not elegant. For the price and occasional use, it is fine.</p>

<p>When I occasionally shoot RAW, I frequently wish my camera's settings to be recognized, and the Lab 3 does do this for simple conversion. Then I can save as TIFF in case I should wish to perform further alterations in PS. I doubt other conversion software would be able to preserve the camera's settings.<br>

I can save photos in a folder and name the folder. When I open it, it opens for viewing in windows photo and fax viewer, which is quick and easy. But much quicker, I must say, when dealing with saved JPEG files, rather than large uncompressed files.</p>

<p>Opening a folder in the Pentax browser does provide some exif information.</p>

<p>I use Laboratory for most of my RAW processing, although I have recently started teaching myself GIMP. (yes, I am cheap). I prefer FastStone for browsing flies, and this will do quick conversions to JPEG also. You do lose some of the EXIF (lens model for instance) with this.</p>

<p>The software is fine, and actually I still use it on my lightroomless computers.</p>

<p>It basically only lets you adjust a small mount of parameters but if I posted 10 images I'd be willing to bet you couldn't tell me with any certainty which was done in lightroom and which in Pentax Silkypix.</p>

<p>Actually the Pentax software seems to do a slightly better job on high ISO images in my opinion (or I just don't understand lightroom well enough at high ISO).</p>

<p>Bottom line to me, is if you are someone that shoots a few thousand photos a year, spread out quite evenly, you can do just fine with Pentax software to import into Photoshop for the final edits. I actually prefer the Pentax software over Adobe Camera RAW, but Lightroom is certainly a more impressive beast for bulk editing and image management.</p>

<p>So few images: Pentax+ Faststone Image viewer + some version of photoshop or painshop, or gimpshop</p>

<p>Lots of images: Lightroom + FastStone + Photoshop, or it's clones.</p>

<p><br /> The Pentax browser is handy/fast on my laptop, which does double duty as a download device when I'm traveling...I never use it on my serious (Lightroom) PC. <br>

Lightroom's essential unless you're stuck with a Mac :-)<br>

I find PS2 important occasionally for its post processing subtlety, vs Lightroom 2, but Lightroom's sharpening is better. Maybe I'll never upgrade PS2...the upgrade path's probably with Lightroom now.<br>

Documentation is documentation.</p>

<p>I'm using the Pentax browser, because it seems to be the best way to get the files out of the camera via the USB cable. My HP PC's built-in card reader won't read the 8gig SD card, although it reads other SD cards for my kids. Also, Windows recognizes the camera as a drive, so I transfer files where I want them. Actually, I like the Pentax browser's information on each image.<br>

I can't get Lab to open a JPG or a DNG, even after highlighting the image in the Pentax browser and getting a preview. I can't get Lab to open out of the Toolbar on the browser, or out of Lab itself. Like most other problem-solving, I just had to put it aside last night and go back into it tonight.</p>