what L lenses have weather proofing?

jr stevens

<p>This is my best list - <a href="http://www.lensplay.com/lenses/lens_weathersealed.html">http://www.lensplay.com/lenses/lens_weathersealed.html</a></p>

<p>I know that in addition to the lenses posted here, Canon list the 28-300/2.8L IS USM as wethersealed, but their list is somewhat out of date and they don't have the 50/1.2L on it yet, so it's not a definitive list. Canon do seem reticent to list weathersealing as a lens feature on theor website, so there's often some confusion about whether a given lens is "officially" designated as having their highest degree of weather sealing.</p>

<p>I know that Canon also recommend a filter be used on the 24-105/4L IS USM for maximum protection.</p>

<p>

Actually most lenses are <b>not</b> designated as weather sealed. None of the consumer lenses are. None of the short primes are. None of the macro lenses are, none of the T/S lenses are and none of the EF-S lenses are. It's really only a subset of the "L" series lenses.

<p>Pete, I don't typically use filters (except polarizers, when appropriate), but I would use a filter on an L lens in very inclement weather. The filter would serve not just to seal the lens, but would also protect the front element from the elements. Furthermore, in such weather I think that any image degradation caused by the filter would be negligible.</p>

<p>Mark, right you are. I always use one for the protection alone along with the lens hood. Some Canon lenses like the Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L IS USM Lens and the Canon EF 500mm f/4 L IS USM Lens can’t take filters however they have a front element that is for protection alone. As for quality you may see some flare under certain lighting conditions but it's rare.</p>

<p>I would say weather RESISTANT, more than anything else. Canon has a few L lenses which are resistant to moisture and dust- but don't think you can drop a lens in water and all will be "ok." Again- the lenses are resistant to dust and moisture but not fool proof 100%.</p>

<p>I looked on Canon's site, and the lenses below seem to have weather resistance to dust and moisture. The EF 85mm f/1.2 L II wasn't mentioned to have it, but I would assume it does:</p>

<p>EF 17-40mm f/4 L<br>

EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L II<br>

EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS<br>

EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS<br>

EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS<br>

EF 14mm f/2.8 L II<br>

EF 24mm f/1.4 L II<br>

EF 50mm f/1.2 L<br>

EF 200mm f/2 L IS<br>

EF 400mm f/4 DO IS<br>

EF 800mm f/5.6 L IS</p>

<p> </p>

<p>"He stated that the lenses can be used in driving rain (not just a drizzle) with no problems. "<br>

Of course you'll need a $5k I series Canon body to go with it.<br>

Alternatively a $500 Pentax K200D (Pentax's digital rebel equivalent) and a bunch of even cheaper P&Ss come with sealing.<br>

Come on Canon!</p>