Replacing sky in RE shots?

<p>I'm doing some photography for local real estate agents, often using HDR or exposure blending. For the exterior shots, I can't always count on the kind of pretty blue skies that I'd like and I'm struggling with replacing the sky, as shot, with some other sky shots (blue skies, puffy clouds -- you know, postcard skies) that I've taken. </p>

<p>Trees and foliage are giving me trouble. I can't seem to find a way to select sky (or non-sky) stuff cleanly enough to avoid outlines or odd artifacts around branches and leaves when I try to composit the fake sky into where the original sky was. </p>

<p>Anyone here an old hand at this can offer a tip or two? I'm familiar with working with layers.</p>

<p>RAW, Lightroom, Photomatix, CS3. </p>

<p>I used to do this quite often.<br>

Selection using the <em>Color Range</em> command worked quite well for me most of the time. I cleaned up areas that are not supposed to be selected using the <em>Lasso Tool</em> set to <em>Subtract From Selection.</em><br>

Once the new sky layer had been positioned, I checked the "look". If I saw unnatural-looking areas of blending, I used the <em>Gaussian Blur</em> filter on the selection to better blend the transition.<br>

It's been awhile, so I don't remember if I had to first convert the selection to a mask before the Gaussian Blur would work on it...</p>