Canon 5D MII biggest size print?

tony_black1

<p>I do think this viewing distance issue is overblown. Fact is that unless you're talking about a poster, or an ad on the side of a bus, or a museum situation, you mostly can't control viewing distance, and some people will get up real close to find out how sharp and detailed it is as well as appreciating the entirety of the picture from a greater distance. The OP has already said that his dealer gets his nose to the print. So do I- can't help it- and from observation in homes and galleries I'm far from alone with photographs and with paintings. And if you know that a print of yours doesn't stand close scrutiny, that thought will be with you forever every time you see it. Personally, with a background in MF film work, I'm much more inclined to think along the lines of how big a photograph should be to occupy a particular space than how big I can get it. And I have to admit discomfort at having prints made that don't stand close scrutiny. </p>

<p>Particularly interesting is the reverse logic whereby "controlled viewing distance can facilitate fewer ppi and therefore a larger print " becomes "large prints are viewed from further away and so don't need so much detail." Fact is that this works only when you control the viewing distance. </p>

<p>If in doubt, hang it over a sofa or in a stair well. </p>

<p>I screwed up on my my previous post, something maybe I should have expected since it was 4:49am! I was thinking that 5616 was the width in pixels; it's actually the length. Plus, one would have to have an actual image from a 5DII to follow through on my suggestion. Clearly, I was not thinking clearly.</p>

<p>A non-upsized 240 dpi print would give you a 15.6"x23.4" photo from the 5DII. You would need a magnification of 47/15.6 equal to about 3x from a 5DII to get the 47"x70" photo that you want. So, begin with a non-upsized print at 240 dpi and upsize it in a way that triples the length and triples the width and crop the image to fit on a standard sized 8.5"x11" paper to get an idea of the upsizing might do to the image. Again, upsize it at about 30% at a time to get a better result.</p>

<p>For myself, I tend to examine a print quite closely to get a feel of the "technology" of a print, regardless of it's size. But to take in a print from an artistic point of view and to get an idea of the overall effect of the print, I back off to a distance that is positively related to the size of the print. I think that print size has relavence to an appealing distance from which to view the print.</p>

• 3 weeks later...