Nikkor 500mm reflex

john_demarco

<p>Please note that i am not asking for opinions because i am aware of all the drawabacks. I borrowed one years ago when we still had to focus lenses on our own, and got some nice images. Now i'm thinking about picking one up just for fun, and more glass is always good. The question i have is this; Do i need an AI or AI'd version of this lens to work on my D200 without damaging the body? Were the newer versions even classified AI or AIS? All the versions that i have seen have no aperture ring, due to the constant f8, and therefore no meter coupling ridge to be milled for an AI conversion. So, i ask the wisdom of photo.net for help. Thank You all once again and look forward to your replies.</p>

<p>The donut bokeh is characteristic of mirror lenses and is a product of lens construction. I have the Nikon 500mm and I like it for it's weight, but the fixed f8 aperture and bokeh make it a lens I rarely use.</p>

<p>Thank You all for the responses. I sent an e-mail to John White at <a href="http://www.aiconversions.com">www.aiconversions.com</a>, who I had previously contacted about a lens issue, and he cleared everything up with this excellent reply. Hope this helps anyone else who might have a similar question about this lens. <br>

Thanks for your inquiry.<br />>There were several models of mirror lenses but as far as I know, <br />> any of them<br />> will fit and work fine on your D200. You will have TTL metering <br />> in the A and<br />> M modes. <br />> To be sure it is safe to mount, check a couple areas. First, <br />> make sure<br />> nothing protrudes from the back of the lens that might hit the <br />> gold contacts<br />> inside the mirror box. Then, try to mount it while watching for <br />> anythingthat will hit the little spring-loaded tab that is on <br /> the body at about the<br />> 2 o'clock position on the lens mount. If it goes on the body <br />> smoothly, you<br />> are all set.<br />> Hope that helps.<br />> John</p>

<p>I own one and use it on ocassion. I like it for doing lunar photography and photos at the bird feeder although the 13.5 feet minimum distance can be a problem (later ones focused closer. As everyone has noted not super sharp put if you put it on a tripod, and later post process with unsharp mask or better yet smart sharpen you will get some nice resoults. The plus side is that it is compact enough to actually take with you on vacation and like a tripod, the best lens/tripod is the one that you will take with you. Many of the other telephoto lenses will give you better results but you have to be willing to carry the weight.<br>

On a second note I've had three lenses modified by John White and can say it was a very pleasing experience because he's prompt, accurate, and stands by his work and as noted in the response is willing to talk to you and answer questions. If you have old lenses that you want to carry forward I would highly recommend John White's services.</p>