Canon 18-55IS at the long end?

robert_thommes1

<p>OK. You have pretty much convinced me to stay with my 18-55IS lens in liu of of other similar zooms......well....almost. I still need to be convinced about this lens's abilities at the 55mm end. Statistically(Photozone)it's up to the task. But I'm a doubter, and need to see it in action. So I've been looking for examples of shots taken with this lens at or near 55mm of DISTANT objects. Can you either furnish me an example or two, or steer me to a site that can? I wasn't very successful when visiting pbase. Thank you.</p>

<p>Robert - I'm taking my EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens to Alaska in a few months so I've been trying to test its capabilities (as well as my own). It just happens that I shot the attached a few days ago. It's not a great picture but it WAS taken at 55mm with the lens in question. The railed walkway on the other side of the lake is about 500 yd away. Taken at 55mm, ISO: 200, f/16, 1/90 sec. hope this helps.</p><div>00S2Mm-104193584.thumb.jpg.91c839c1e1968d90fd5fcd9deef798f0.jpg</div>

<p>Bob, Stop trolling on photo dot net. The 18-55mm IS lens is a pretty good lens as you can tell from the review on photozone.de but it takes some skills to get the best out of it, particularly with the 5.6 on the long end. The top third of my Chinatown portfolio is taken with the 18-55mm IS lens on an XSi. The constant 2.8 zooms like the Canon 17-55mm 2,8 IS or the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 lens are 'better' lenses and because of the constant aperture makes them a little easier and friendlier to use. Good pictures happen 3-4 inches behind the lens. Work on your skills, post some pictures and have fun.</p>

<p>You seem to have owned and sold alot of lenses lately and are still looking to buy others. You are wondering how good a lens is that you already own. I was happy with a 28-90 and 75-300 lens for around 5 years before I upgraded any lenses. I would slow down a little and enjoy the equipment you have. Then when looking at alot of photos you will know if you like the lenses you have or are missing shots due to your equipment. There is alot more in lenses than just image quality. You may find yourself swithing lenses too much around a certain focal point where they cross over, or getting blurred shots because your lens is too slow etc,etc. The only one who knows if you will be happy with a lens is yourself. I'm not trying to be rude</p>

<p>Bob, I've seen a number of your posts over the past couple of years about lens choice. Out of curiosity, I clicked on your name and saw the following WTB ad..<br /> <br /> // January 4, 2009: WTB: Tamron(Canon) 28-75 2.8 Lens (Expiration: 2009-02-03) //<br /> <br /> That made me really confused because just 3-4 weeks ago, you asked about the optimal lens combo and based on the advice of many others, made the following conclusion..<br /> <br /> //"Your opinions of this lens combo."<br /> http://www.photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00LZGA<br /> "I appreciate all of your contributions. It seems rather unanimous that the lens to ditch is the Canon 28-105... Could be that 3 is all I really need. And that would be fine. Fewer choices to make....and that's what I like."//<br /> <br /> I feel like we're starting to run in circles. Just to confirm, you now have the 18-55/IS, 50/1.8, and 70-300/IS, right? What exactly do you think you'll accomplish with the Tamron 28-75 that you couldn't do with the Canon 28-105? And after the great advice you got on how to trim your equipment bag, why do you feel the need to replace that lens at all?<br /> <br /> You once said that you were interested in entering local photo contests. If that's still the case, make sure to spend enough time looking through the lens as opposed to playing hot potato with lens x vs. y. You have a fine set of glass. Given your questions, I don't think they're lacking sharpness, f-stops, or a little Ansel Adams inside telling you when to click the shutter; what they lack is more of your own use and experience. In addition to creating pictures, which is really the point of photography, I think it'll also ultimately help you have a clearer idea of what you'll need in the future.<br /> <br /> Best,<br /> n.</p>