nikon canon mount HELP (cant take off)

matt_m__toronto_

<p>There's a tiny tab on the flange (that might look like part of the flange). You have to push it away from the lens with your thumbnail (in the direction of the back of the camera if the lens were mounted). You might have to wiggle it a bit. Mine doesn't move very smoothly.</p>

<p>I've found it's usually easier to dismount the adapter <em>from the lens</em> , rather than from the Canon body, FWIW.</p>

<p>If you think this is hard to figure out how to remove, wait until you encounter a Contax/Yashica or Exakta adapter. However, part of the joy of being a Canon owner is the incredible range of lenses that can be used on these bodies. I have never seen instructions with <em>any</em> of these X>EOS adapters, so it's a good idea to look carefully at them before mounting them on the lens or body.</p>

<p>this site seems to say that the 20 f/2.8 is a no-go on the 5D (and 5D2)--is that your camera?</p>

<p><a href="http://www.cameraquest.com/frames/4saleReos.htm">http://www.cameraquest.com/frames/4saleReos.htm</a></p>

<p>I'd be interested to know--I'm using loads of cheap Nikons too, and I'm nervous about hitting the mirror. Was it pretty obvious to you that it wouldn't fit as you attached it? Or did it seem like a more careless photographer might have rammed it right into the mirror? :)</p>

<p>best,<br>

M</p>

<p>Yes, unless you have a "full-frame," 24x36mm sensor body, the 20mm should clear the mirror. But wait, is it an AI lens? some of those do have junk sticking back farther from the lens.<br>

My old Nikon lenses are all non-AI, and I have never encountered a problem, even on full-frame 35mm film EOS cameras. (They're cheaper to buy too, if a little less than state-of-the-art coatings and design in some cases.)</p>

<p>marlon, i did not jam the lens on :) it just looked like the 'shield' part would not fit. i have an old 24mm 2.8 lens that fits on , but it is not AIS as it has been AI'd later on . i read something about trimming the shield part of the lens. i'm assuming it will not affect performance when i go to put that lens back on my nikon film cam's?</p>

<p>and yes, i'm using a 5d2.</p>

<p>thanks for the info guys</p>

<p>I was told by a Nikon photog that the shield is designed to allow the lens to sit on its backside without the rear element contacting the tabletop. I don't know if that's true, but that's what I've heard.</p>

<p>If you trim the shield so that it doesn't extend farther back than the backside of the adapter, your mirror clearance should be just fine.</p>

<p>Sarah: Sharpies™ are the duct tape of finish touch-up.;)<br>

Another, more permanent solution, but a little messier, may also be found in something called a "uniPaint™" pen. As it says, "opaque, oil-base paint marker" available in white, and many colors. Probably the Sharpie is better in this case.</p>