Prints too dark with iMac Epson R1800

<p>A year ago I switched from a PC to an iMac 20inch to take advantage of the so-called Mac advantage when working with photos, and especially in using Photoshop. I am beginning to think I made a mistake.<br /> <br /> The iMac 20 inch monitor (all-in-one computer/monitor) tilts up and down, I suppose to let the viewer adjust the angle of view to be perpendicular to the line of sight. However, it is also true that, when the monitor is angled up, the image on the screen becomes markedly darker. Conversely, when the monitor is turned down, the image becomes very much lighter. This is true regardless of the monitor brightness setting on the keyboard (I keep it set at the lowest setting.) (This was not true for the PC to which I have returned to do my printing.)<br /> <br /> Printing images from the iMac to the Epson R1800 printer has been a nightmare, with most images printing very dark regardless of the printer/paper profile used. In order to obtain a usable print (not to say a marketable print) I have had to vastly brighten the picture so that the image on the monitor TILTED FULLY UP TO THE “DARK” POSITION is approximately at the brightness level wanted in the printed photo. <br /> <br /> My first attempt to remedy this situation was to try to calibrate the screen using a Huey device. Using the Huey-produced monitor profile made no difference – prints were still as dark as the tilted-up monitor showed. Then I invested in a Pantone Colomunki so that I could profile both the monitor and the printer. I did so and tried to print with the newly calibrated monitor and the printer/paper profile produced by Colormunki. The result was the same – the print would be the same as the “dark” view on the tilted monitor.<br /> <br /> All this leads me to believe that the iMac monitor is too “hot” as was suggested by a techie from a photo paper company whom I met at a photo seminar. Since the print produced with the printer/paper profile produced by the Colormunki is the same as the dark image of the monitor, I think the “dark” image must be the real image produced by the monitor.<br /> <br /> Am I all wet? Is there another solution? Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.</p>

<p>1_viewing angle always been a problem with any LCD monitor..and the 20inch imac is also prone to this problem, not the 24inch (or not that distinctable). As any other LCD, they should be at eye level and straigth in front of you..not a a angle.</p>

<p>problem solve.</p>

<p>2_"..Printing images from the iMac to the Epson R1800 printer has been a nightmare.."</p>

<p>Did you calibrate your monitor? with what? when? how do you print? from where? what rofile? epson genuine ink and paper? Experience show me that 99% of the time, when people complain about dark print they do not have a calibrated monitor with a device or they dont use epson genuine ink/paper..or they just dont use the correct color management workflow...</p>

<p>3_The Huey is the poorest device existing today, just before the spider2 express : )</p>

<p>4_Imac moniotr are too blue and too bright..what are your setting? gamma 2.2, 6500k and 110cdm2? if not, the answer is there.</p>

<p>The color munki is again a barely just OK gadget, i never been able to create a decent color profile using 4 device, with many epson, canon and hp i tried it on...and googling colormunki show that im not alone.</p>

<p>SOLUTIONS</p>

<p>a_stop playing with the imac angle and put it to a comfortable heigth instead</p>

<p>b_buy a better calibration device like the spider3 or the eye1 display</p>

<p>c_drop the luminosity of your new imac to 110cmd2, if you cant go to that level after calibration use the freeware SHADE (i think its a freeware?) and set it to 80% you should get a darker more realistic monitor brightness.</p>

<p>d_use epson genuine ink / paper AND the correct color profile from photoshop AND turn OFF color management in the epson driver.</p>

<p>I think Patrick really covered all the points you need to examine. I do think, however, based on your description of the screen, it being so variable with small off axis viewing changes (a typical problem with cheap TN LCD screens) that either one, becoming accustomed to adopting a standard viewing position (monitor AND you), or two, calibrating with a device than allows for measurable adjustment of your screen brightness, will help solve your problem. If neither solutions help (a real possibility) you may need to accept the need for a separate screen, which is a real drawback with an all-in-one screen/computer solution. That, or as Patrick stated, the 24" model may be what you need (if you're still within the return/exchange period). The 24" model suggestion is based only on my personal impression from experiences posted by others, as I do not use a Mac.</p>

<p>Henry</p>

<p>Tom, this sounds supiciously similar to this thread:http://www.photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00S1qN. One opinion suggested that the cure would be to ensure your R1800 is designated the default printer. Is it? Pleased let us know how you resolve this problem. Others may have similar head scratching printer problems. Best, LM.</p>

• 2 months later...