Gotten slow?

<p>It varies. Some of it may be the site; some may be your ISP. Has your ISP imposed any bandwidth restrictions or site access limits?</p>

<p>When you say "to view a photo", what specifically are you doing? Viewing someone's portfolio? The critique forum? The random photo generator? Each has different characteristics.</p>

<p>I am generalizing but every year this time I found the internet to slow way down. I was told that because the weather has gotten cold so more people stay indoors and use the computer to surf the internet. Also a lot of people received computers for Christmas (now not as much as years passed) and every one is learning to check out the internet. So your local ISP is probably getting a little swamped.</p>

<p>I'm on the site all day every day and have not noticed anything being particularly slow. A few ad related glitches perhaps.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Since they rebuilt the site last year it has taken a very long time to get the pictures for critique. One used to be able to flip through them quickly, now there is quite a wait for each one.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>We didn't "rebuild" the site. We moved to new servers. And unless I missed it, nobody else has mentioned this issue to me in the past. Is anyone other then Bruce seeing it?</p>

<p>I just tried the Critique Forum. It took 17.52 seconds to load the page. Not bad considering I'm using an 800 MHz PIII with 512 MB RAM on a middling AT&T DSL ISP. Four to six seconds to load a page for a photo critique. Same via the "anonymous" Rate Photos queue. Again, not bad.</p>

<p>I see occasional transient slowdowns, but nothing persistent or unusual.</p>

<p>Critique forum loaded in 13 seconds. 1.8ghz G5 iMac 2GB of RAM.</p>

<p>I use this site to check my IP connection speed and making sure the host XX.XX.XXX.XXX number ISN'T my computer or my modem.</p>

<p>http://www.hostip.info/index.html</p>

<p>Scroll down to the speed test.</p>

<p>Mine is 160KB/sec download and 40KB/sec upload.</p>

<p>For me it's the ads. The photo.net server itself is very fast, and so is my connection. But sometimes, if not often, there is a five, on the extreme side even twenty second wait after the page head has been loaded, when the further page built-up stalls waiting for, e.g. for this page, "google analytics" and "adtuition" servers. I'm using firefox, other browsers might do worse/better in handling this (e.g. continue with the page waiting for ads in the background).</p>

<p>The only thing I have experienced recently (and ongoing) is whenever I load a page, be it my workspace or to view a photo, I try to scroll down, and the page will reset to the top by itself anywhere from 2-5 times while I try to scroll down...very annoying, but eventually it does stop. This started about a week ago.</p>

<p>It is getting slower. From time to time my browser balks and posts "Waiting for photo.net . . ." Sometimes waiting works, sometimes it doesn't. Happened the last time I tried to access "Casual Photo Conversations" about ten minutes ago. Gave up, went to my workspace, did some stuff, went back and tried again. I'm here.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Old browser cache I guess because there are completely different images on the reload.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Tim, this thread should fill you in on how the Critique Forum currently works:<br /> <br /> http://www.photo.net/site-feedback-forum/00QfCZ</p>

<blockquote>

<p>re: ads</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I've got the ad guys looking into anything that might be causing slow load times for the ads.</p>