panoramic camera: fuji or noblex?

martin_leitsch

<p>Robert:<br>

You have to be aware of the camera's limitation. I would think that you tried to take a very close picture with horizontal surfaces, which have to be done on an angle. Once you are aware of how to "compose" the picture you are able to select the camera most suited for the job so perhaps, the Noblex was not suited for your purpose.<br>

Also to correctly view a Noblex image you should naturally also curve the resultant printed image to follow the same arc as was originally taken, then you will have no distortion. A while ago I saw a photographic display which mounted these type of photos in the corner of a room in a curved frame.<br>

as for your banding problem, I have never had a problem with my Noblex. The electric motor builds up speed on the first revolution before the "slit" scans, so banding is nearly non-existant. This can not be said for my mechanical Russian rotating cameras (ie: Horizon 202) and the gears can be very rough causing minor "stutters" as it rotates.</p>

<p>I think Martin almost certainly is wondering about the camera listed on KEH.com. Much has been written in Photo.net forums (searchable) about KEH's "bargain" gear, the great majority of it positive. KEH has a reputation for rating its equipment very conservatively, and the fact that a general grading classification refers to a type of defect does not mean that all equipment with that rating will have that defect. And, actually, minor marks on glass (it doesn't say "scratches") really don't affect image quality in any material way. KEH It offers a return privilege. There is no reason to expect this camera is "a disaster waiting to happen" or "a lemon." </p>

<p>To get a better idea of what can be achieved with rotating lens panoramic cameras try googling "Noblex""Widepan"" "Horizon panoramic cameras" "The Widescreen Centre London" or just generally "panoramic photography"Some of these sites have excellent images made by skilled photographers, others have images made by less skilled photographers. You can see what are the possiblities and what are the pitfalls.You will be able to see whether you like the distortion aspect.<br>

Ray</p>

<p>fuji g690 cameras should be serviced after about 5000 exposures (counter reading 500). does that apply for the g617 aswell?<br>

and matt: what is the close focus on the 105mm?<br>

g617 are all over ebay etc but a noblex 175 seems hard to find! any suggestions?</p>

<p>cheers,<br>

m</p>

<p>Martin it seams like you are spinning a bit by looing at all the 6x17 cameras available, what about this one, what about this one, what about this one.<br>

Of all the cameras you have mentioned and asked info on and if you are a beginner to this format and you want to shoot medium format panoramic as a hobby then you will find the G617 or GX617 cameras so easy to use / learn / load film and focus. They are a pleasure to use and own.</p>

<p>Hi Martin,<br>

I don't know if you checked the Mamiya 7II:<br>

<a href="http://www.mamiya.com/mamiya-7-ii.html#ProductOverview">http://www.mamiya.com/mamiya-7-ii.html#ProductOverview</a><br>

It's a very honest camera, you can take panoramic shots (as the Xpan) of course the Fuji has a bigger format, but it's also heavier than the Mamiya. That's one of my favourite itens to buy. It is a versatile camera, not so heavy, so you can go travel with one, without the weight & volume problem that you get with the View camera or Fuji 617.<br>

You should get one for trial. Just a thought.</p>

<p>Hi.</p>

<p>I own the fuji GX617 with both the 90mm lens and the 180mm lens.<br>

This camera is so good I can't find any shortcomings.<br>

The camera is very simple to work, but you need a separate light meter. i have a spotmeter from Minolta.<br>

The 90mm has 90° coverage, and the 180mm 45°. Both these lenses are absolute top quality: They are razor sharp until the very corners. I use the 180 mm a lot despite its narrower angle, it's nice to be able to do panorama's of details. I do want to buy the 300mm some time in the future.<br>

Do not, repeat not buy the camera with 90mm lens without the center ND filter. This filter keeps the illumination of the slide absolutely even, without it, you'd get a stop of light fall off on the sides. This filter is very expensive when you would want to buy it separately. The 105 also needs the center filter.<br>

The viewfinders are of really good quality, I do have the ground glass to focus with, but so far I've only used it once, the viewfinders are good enough. It's interesting to have a detachable viewfinder, oftern I go on reconnaissance walks, just with the viewfinders, which easily fit in a side pocket.<br>

So far I took a couple hundred shots with it (I have it a year now,) This weekend I took 13 rolls of snow shots.<br>

You do need to buy a good, sturdy carbon tripod.<br>

It took me a long time before I bought the panoramic camera; Like you I do it for a hobby only, and I had troble spending a lot of money on it. Now I'm completely delighted I took the step, the slides are unbelievable in their sharpness.<br>

Get the camera insured.</p>

<p>Bye,</p>

<p>dirk.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>hi again,<br>

and thanx for even more input. i found a place that rents out the g617 and the gx617 in cape town :-) a bit pricy but at least i will be able to make a few shots and then decide if i really like the camera and handling etc.<br>

from what i can tell so far it's surprisingly light and easy to operate. i think my fuji g690bl with the 150mm is even heavier...<br>

can't wait...!<br>

m</p>