What is in your photo bag?

betty_lowrey

<p>Our (I shoot with my wife) gear is actually much simpler than it may look from the list below, but I try to have all of our bases covered, so some additional equipment may look like overkill:</p>

<p>2 bags: Lowepro Pro Roller 2 for on-site storage of back-up equipment and other infrequently used items and a Tamrac shoulder bag.<br>

Nikon D3<br>

Nikon D300<br>

D2x backup<br>

3 SB800s<br>

2 SC-29 flash cords<br>

1 Stoboframe Pro T bracket<br>

Gary Fong Lightspheres (cloudy and clear)<br>

12-24 f/4<br>

28-70 f/2.8<br>

70-200 VR f/2.8<br>

18-200 VR f/3.5 (for those casual grab shots)<br>

carbon fiber monopod<br>

remote release<br>

RRS mounting plates for all equipment<br>

lots of extra batteries<br>

6-10 2 gig CF cards<br>

emergency repair/sewing kit<br>

water, aspirin, business cards, GPS, cell phone, and cash</p>

<p>We don't use lightstands, pocketwizards, umbrellas or 'studio' type lighting because that type of equipment doesn't lend itself to our style of shooting.<br>

--Rich</p>

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I also carry double sided hem tape like Richard Wang.. forgot that one, and safety pins. Also forgot - blotting papers to take shine off people's faces which almost always comes in handy. Blot that shine or you have lots of touch up work later ;-)</p>

<p>IN THE TRUNK : I have a extra body (digital & film) 17- 40mm L // 70-200 L f4 ~~ Large heavy GItzo tripod ~~ Manfrotto mono-pod ~~ Qt5 with Quantum and --plenty of chargers/batteries.</p>

<p>HAL :: wish I still had that set-up..bare flash bulbs were the best.</p>

<p>Always throw a film body under the back seat you never know when thing could go bad, black screen or what have you.<br>

Sony a700 dslr<br>

Minolta 7d dslr<br>

Minolta 800si film slr (just in case)<br>

CZ 16-80 3.5<br>

Sony 70-300G ssm<br>

Minolta 50 1.7<br>

Minolta 70-210 4.0 (film camera)<br>

Sigma 10-20 EX 4.0-5.6<br>

Kenko 1.4x Pro300 Teleplus<br>

Minolta 5600hs flash<br>

Minolta 5400hs flash<br>

Tripod, filters & cable release<br>

CF cards bring all<br>

4 rolls of film-kodak 160vc<br>

2 rolls of film-kodak 400vc<br>

18AA batt,with full charge<br>

Just take everything you have and leave what tou don't need in the car.(the film stuff)</p>

<p>I'm glad I'm not too far off the mark :)<br>

All around my neck or in a small Tamrac Velocity bag: <br />40D + grip + Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS<br />20D + Sigma 50-150 f2.8<br />Canon 50mm f1.8<br />Sekonic 308B light/flash meter<br />24GB of memory cards<br />2 spare batteries for each camera<br />580EX II and Lightsphere (I aim to add a second soon)<br />16 AA 2300mAh batteries for flash<br />Sewing kit and safety pins<br />Multitool<br /><br />In the car:<br />350D + grip + 2 batteries<br />EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-4.5 (on the basis that any lens is better than no lens)<br />Manfrotto 055B tripod<br />4m of white tuille and clothes pegs (used as background at bride's prep)<br />First aid kit<br />Road map (better than GPS at finding the shortcuts and avoiding blackspots)<br>

I did toy with the idea of keeping my dad's old Minolta SRT-101 and Rokkor 50mm f1.8 in there too, just in case the venue gets hit with an EMP bomb or something ;-)</p>

<p>When i am packing for a full day of wondering around mindlessly.</p>

<p>d70.<br>

2x batteries.<br>

50 1.8.<br>

18-70.<br>

70-300 vr.<br>

2x vivitar 285hv.<br>

pack of lee gels.<br>

couple packs of double aa's.<br>

2x elinchrom skyport receivers + one transmiter.<br>

ducttape.<br>

rope.<br>

cell phone.<br>

walkman.<br>

a big bag of trailmix and fruitsnacks.<br>

bottle of water.<br>

bandages in case i cut myself falling from a tree.<br>

a map.<br>

a couple dollars to spend in case i need to.<br>

someday when the money rolls in.. ill have a tripod or monopod to add to the mix.</p>

<p>That's pretty much it, i believe.</p>

<p>But usually you find me wondering around with a d70 and a 50 1.8 tucked in my coat pocket ;)</p>

<p>Oh and a mind full of ideas.</p>

<p>I use Rick's philosophy of bringing a film camera...<br>

<br /> Canon Rebel XT (Yeah, i know....)<br>

Canon Elan II film body<br>

Tokina 12-24 or Canon 10-22 (rented)<br>

Canon 85mm f/1.8<br>

Canon 50mm f/1.8<br>

Canon 70-200 2.8L (rented)<br>

Kit lens for a backup<br>

Stroboframe bracket and cord (rented)<br>

Canon 430ex (rented)<br>

Sunpak 622 pro backup<br>

Tripod<br>

A bunch of 1 and 2 gig CF cards<br>

A mess of film, usually about ten to fifteen 36-exp rolls (hopefully not all used!)<br>

All of this rides in a Pelican 1610 case. Both cameras are in use during the wedding, depending on lens requirements (full frame or no) and how much film I feel like I want to have developed.<br>

I'm still adjusting my equipment list as I upgrade and learn, but this all comes with me to any wedding and is all used at some point.</p>

<p>My first wedding, I arrived with ten rolls of Portra 160 and some Kodak 400 to use in my Canon T50(Aperture priority only!), with the 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, and a Promaster 70-210 f/4.5. I've since modified my selection, lol :)</p>

<p>I am trying to cut down and supplementimg my film gear with a digital camera has really paid off:<br>

Before digital:<br>

F4S<br>

FM2N<br>

FE2<br>

AIs manual lenses...28/2.8, 35/2, 50/1.8, 105/2.5, 80-200/4<br>

Loads of film...Velvia, Provia, Delta 100,400,3200, TRX</p>

<p>After Digital:<br>

D300<br>

18-200VR<br>

FE2 with 28/2.8 (for landscapes when its just too good for digital).</p>

<p>After</p>

<p>Hi Amanda,<br>

Lot's of great kits listed here. Here is my wedding/event kit.<br>

2-D300s w/MBD10 grips<br>

lenses: 15mm fisheye, 17-35 2.8, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8 VR, 180 2.8, 85 1.8, 50 1.4, all lenses are nikors except the fisheye.<br>

3 SB800 flash units w/ underdog battery packs, I use the dome diffusers that come with the strobes.<br>

10- 4 gig extreme III cf cards. I also carry a small repair kit, and stain remover. Here are a couple of things that<br>

were not mentioned: A Leatherman or Gerber multi tool (make sure it has scissors) breath mints or gum, granola<br>

or cereal bars, and pepto bismal tablets (cause sometimes wedding food can do that to a persons body).<br>

BTW, I have a little story to relate: I just shot a wedding this past weekend, it was a cold slippery day here in<br>

Southeast Pennsylvania, as I was leaving the bride's parent's house I lost my footing as I was walking down their<br>

driveway, I didn't fall, but one of my D300's with the 24-70 and SB800 attached, took a tumble to the driveway.<br>

Fortunately for me the only damage was a crack at the base of the flash and a scrape to the bottom of the MBD10 grip.<br>

I'm not quite sure your D40x would survive the fall. Sometimes the extra money put down for higher end equipment<br>

pays for itself.<br>

Thanks, John</p>

<p>I guess I'm old school and low budget. My bag is always with me in the truck so I take it all although I'm not as fancy as some of you. <br>

A workhorse of a D200 with the grip for extra batteries<br>

SB-800<br>

tried and true lenses<br>

Nikkor 20-35 2.8<br>

Nikkor 35-70 2.8 D Macro (awesome lens)<br>

Nikkor 105 2.8 VR<br>

Nikkor 70-210 that I never use.<br>

mini tripod for flash placement<br>

batteries<br>

notebook<br>

cleaning stuff<br>

filters<br>

D200 book<br>

not fancy but it all works every time and I know it well</p>

<p>I'm amazed at how many of you still carry a film camera. When I started doing digital in '01 with a Kodak/Nikon DCS315 (dog of a camera BTW), I still shot about 1/2 film 'just in case', but probably since '03 when I was using a Kodak DCS720x (Nikon F5 body) for football, I've not run one roll of film through a camera and never had a major breakdown of any of my digital gear D70 (2), D200, D2x, D300, D3, D40. I do however keep my original FTn and a like-new FM3a just because. --Rich</p>

<p>My general photo bag:<br>

D70 with 4 batteries and lots of memory<br>

SB600 with spare batteries<br>

17-50mm f2.8<br>

80-200mm f2.8<br>

50mm f1.4<br>

20mm f3.5<br>

60mm Micro f2.8<br>

70-300mm f4.5-5.6 Macro<br>

x1.4 teleconverter<br>

Vivitar 285 HV with spare batteries<br>

Second body is my Voigtlander Bessa with a 35mm f1.7 Ultron<br>

I also carry instruction manuals<br>

A utility knife<br>

Gaffer's tape (stuck to the outside of my camera bag)<br>

Sspirin<br>

Sunscreen with bug repellent<br>

A sheet of aluminum foil folded up<br>

A small metal ruler<br>

Mini-mag flashlight with extra batteries<br>

Business cards<br>

Spare car key<br>

An Ultra pod mini-tripod<br>

Atrofen flash diffuser<br>

1 extra large heavy duty trash bag (it tends to rain a lot here in Seattle)<br>

Assorted filters, step rings, and lens hoods.<br>

Matches<br>

Rocket blower and micro fiber cloths.<br>

A pocket knife<br>

Two pens (One sharpie and one ball point).<br>

Ear bud head phones.<br>

Extra quick release plates<br>

Extra front and rear lens caps<br>

I also carry several copies of a printout from the American Civil Liberties Association stating the rights of photographers in public. These have been very handy when confronted by uninformed official people.<br>

I also keep some model releases just in case.<br>

In the trunk of the car there is always a hat, a rain coat, a jacket, a tripod, and a red umbrella.</p>

<p>1x 5dII<br /> 1x5d<br /> 35 1.4<br /> 50-1.2<br /> 24-70 2.8<br /> 70-200 2.8 is<br /> 3x 580 ex<br /> 2x dg sigma super 500's<br /> off camera cord<br /> flash bracket<br /> Bush Hawk rifle Mount<br /> remote trigger<br /> 5 Alien Bee receivers<br /> 1 transceiver<br /> 3 lite scoops (don't leave home without em)<br /> 2 Kazillion AA'a<br /> 2 spare camera battery's (&$@% @ $150 a pop<br /> 4 Manfrotto Clamps<br /> 2 24" Shoot thru's<br /> 48" 5 in 1 reflector<br /> 2 Manfrotto Ultra Lite Stands<br /> Misc cords, tape, bungee's,emergency repair kit<br /> all in roller with a locking cable...and a water bottle holder<br /> Geez...I gotta lighten Up :)</p>

<p>We have a few things that haven't been mentioned...<br>

ABBC (http://www.abetterbouncecard.com/). We have used about ever flash diffuser known to man and nothing beats a 50 cent BBC.<br>

A lens pen in every camera bag and one on our persons!<br>

A fotosharp rain cover in each bag.<br>

The last little tidbit that I can't live without is BlackRapid camera strap (http://www.blackrapid.com/). <br>

After that, each camera bag is usually organized by camera and type of shoot/package. In general<br>

Crumpler Bazillion $ Bag holds 1 D300 w/grip and 17-55 lens attached. Additional lenses = the Sigma 50-150 and 1.4 teleconverter and the 105mm DC lens. One SB900. 2 filter pouches. Cable to connect flash to Turbo battery. And all the fixings: extra batteries, CF cards etc...<br>

Crumpler 7-million $ Bag has 2nd D300 w/grip and RRS L-plate for attaching RRS wedding flash bracket. 24-85D attached. SB 900 & SD 9 battery back. And 105mm VR.<br>

Crumpler 7-million $ Bag with a D90 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4 attached. SB800 flash. Depending on shoot, we pack an additional SB800 & 600.<br>

Another light bag has 2 Quantums (T5D and T4D) w/3 turbo batteries. My favorite lighting set up is one Quantum, high, bare-bulb pointed down with silver reflector and another Quantum w/diffuser as fill forward.<br>

Other lights include a few Alien Bees and a few White Lighting... OK for the money but I much prefer the light from the Quantums.<br>

Water, granola bars, change of clothes, clamps, extension cords, gaffers tape light stands blah blah blah.... :)<br>

Mike</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Nikon D90 + grip<br>

Nikon D40 (backup)<br>

Tamron 17-50/2.8<br>

Nikkor 50/1.8<br>

SB800&SB600<br>

2 spare batteries for bodies<br>

12+3 rechargable Maha AAs for the speedlights<br>

7 4GB Kingston SD cards - I find them very ok at a very low price compared to the extreme IIIs<br>

tripod, remote, provided diffuser for SB800, cleaning stuff, a polarizer<br>

kleenex, business cards, wallet, phone, notebook&pen</p>

<p>Planning to add:<br>

gay fong lightsphere II, another fast prime, some other tripod</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I don't do weddings...but I thought this was a cool thread and wanted to contribute anyways!<br /> <br /> In my Lowepro <a href="http://products.lowepro.com/product/Fastpack-350,2087,14.htm">Fastpack AW350</a> <br /> <br /> D50 (with an OP/TECH Super Classic strap, no more achy neck)<br /> Sigma 18-50 1:2.8 HSM<br /> Nikon 80-200 1:2.8 AF-D (Single Ring)<br /> Nikon 50 1:1.8<br /> SB-800<br /> <br /> Tripod w/ Leg Wraps (wraps are SOOO nice when its cold or packing the Tripod + Camera on my shoulder)<br /> Microfiber Cloths and Environmentally Friendly Lens cleaning solution (I try not to use UV/Protection filters when I can help it, so these are a MUST)<br /> Extra Batteries for Flash and Camera, Memory Cards<br /> Filters in filter packs (circular polarizer, ND, and some UV filters in case it is wet out)<br /> Binoculars<br /> Bottles of Water<br /> <br /> If I want to pack light, I just toss my camera in an OP/TECH <a href="http://www.optechusa.com/product/detail/?PRODUCT_ID=32&PRODUCT_SUB_ID=&CATEGORY_ID=5">D-SLR pouch</a> , and put my batteries and memory cards in <a href="http://www.optechusa.com/product/detail/?PRODUCT_ID=18&PRODUCT_SUB_ID=&CATEGORY_ID=8">Media Holsters</a> on the strap.</p>

<p>"I bring a d300 my 17-55 2.8 a 50mm 1.4 and a bottle of Jameson Irish whiskey"<br /> <br /> Owen,<br /> I don't care for you choice of whiskey. Pendelton whiskey is much better for low-chilled situations. Just remember, a good buzz only comes from good whiskey; if you put cheap whiskey in the hands of someone who doesn't know what they are doing, then disaster is imminent.</p>