Mac Workflow Software

my work site

<p>Hey guys! I'm just starting out on the business aspect of wedding photography and am quickly developing an extensive paper trail and a lot of emails! Is there a software that you guys would recommend that would keep it all organized? I work on a Mac, so any suggestions for that platform would be helpful (although suggestions for PC would help others as well, I'm sure.) Thanks!! </p>

<p>Terra</p>

<p>Hi Terra! Good luck!!</p>

<p>I use nearly everything that just comes built in!<br>

I'm really glad I've added iWork - i like using graphy spreadsheets to just keep track of lists and simple costs (if i'm not actually working on paper with a pencil).<br>

For emails - honestly, just create different email folders (mailboxes) to keep it organized. DO NOT throw any away. Quickbooks is super easy to use, but take a class so you know you have it set up right. Doing one thing wrong will create year-long headaches!<br>

Honestly, there's no reason to go out and buy a lot of software. Using iWork and the built in templates for invoices and the spreadsheets in Numbers will perform the jobs you need to track expenses, costs, income, etc just fine without Quickbooks.</p>

<p>And for working with your photos.... APERTURE 2.0!!!! We've had it 2 weeks and I'm in love (and I was already firmly in love w/ 1.0)</p>

<p>I just place all my wedding related emails into a folder within "Mail" titled "Weddings." I then create a hard/paper folder for every wedding I book and keep them in file cabinets sorted by date. With the emails all you have to do is search the persons name. With the actual hard copy folder you just need to know their wedding date. </p>

<p>For invoicing I use Quickbooks, which also provides your accountant with everything that will be needed at year-end. Plus, at any time I can see what my numbers are, as well as easily find info related to any one client. It's a breeze!</p>

<p>I have them in iCAL and backup every day. I keep an electronic copy of everything possible and it goes into the clients folder, which is in a month folder according to their wedding day, and that in turn is in a year folder. Makes it easy to get at for years to come.</p>

<p>I also keep a paper copy of the contract and any pertinent emails (i.e. those with name/date/directions/venue contacts, etc.) in the clients paper file. I archive these every second year, so that I have this years and last years paper version on hand all the time.</p>

<p>I use QB for bookkeeping but hear good things about MYOB. In fact, if I were not already using QB, I would not touch it with a ten foot pole. I hate the business model of intuit and once I get the time and energy, I will migrate to another software and NEVER use another intuit product again. I think $350 for support on a product I just spent $200 on that does not work correctly (by their measure, not mine) is disgusting. Adobe needs to produce a veriety as they work hard to support their products well, and more than just the first 90 days.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Just yesterday I found about ShootQ . Promising but expensive at $49/month. Check it out!<br>

<br /> This is my MAC setup. I use MYOB for accounting and MarketCircle's DayLite for CRM (Customer Relationship Management). Please hear this: There's nothing out there more integrated, comprehensive and with better documentation and support than Market Circle's DayLite Frosting on the cake, is that they will be releasing Daylite Touch , that extends the application to your iPhone/iPodTouch. Just download it and test it for yourself.</p>

<p>To avoid redundant data entry and improve data reliability MYOB now links to Day Lite through the MYOB Connector . The lack of this newly released connector was causing me to research another accounting solution. I guess my research is over now that I can link both information perspectives with the fewest amount of applications.</p>

<p>You gotta check it out!</p>

<p>On QB I have to admit they suck. However it is the most intuitive and most visually pleasing of all the accounting packages. If it weren't for they questionable revenue model and their lack of consistent development on the Mac they would be better positioned.</p>

<p>As for workflow, I dated with iViewMultimedia Pro until they became a Microsoft product. Then I flirted with Aperture and Lightroom and really like to hang out with both. After enough drinks, dances and romances I am now formally married to photoshoplightroom/">Lightroom2. Adobe is truly the software powerhouse with the perpective and the resources to make your Digital Asset Management and photographic workflow shine like a diamond.</p>

<p>I hope this helps you get started. I didnt have this advice when I was starting. I had to figure it out by myself.</p>

<p>Do what works for you, but always be open to change.</p>

<blockquote>Please do not sign your posts with your website as it is agianst Photo.net policy.. Thank you</blockquote>