Contax 645 or Mamyia 645 AFD

galileo42

<p>If you had to chose between a used Contax 645 kit or a used Mamyia 645 AFD kit for about $250 less for the Mamyia, which would you chose? I am talking strictly quality, image and build. I know the Contax 80 mm for having had one before, and I know the 80 mm lens of the Mamyia 7 II, both excellent. But I'm concerned that the Mamyia will be a bit inferior build-wise. I am not concerned at this point with the death of Contax. Thank you.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>BIG difference in the AFD and AFD II/III in terms of build quality and functions...<br>

I've had a Hassy 645 H2 with great Hassy (Fuji) glass. I switched to Mamiya 645 for several reasons:<br>

1. hasselblads lack of support for an open digital platform<br>

2. hasselblads terrible terrible software and their files open in very few programs.<br>

3. Mamiya are moving forward with Phase One, the AFD III is fab, on terms with my H2 and the AFD II is a great, cheap back up.<br>

4. New Glass from mamiya all the time, costly but the old stuff is very very good for the money and in the few online tests you can find, holds up very well against Zeiss.</p>

<p>I now feel I have a system that is open and moving forward, especially with the best backs & software out there (capture one).</p>

<p>With leaf lenses coming any minute I'm covered. Hasselblad is still very elitist and their digital files actually get in your way of delivering high end images quickly to your clients. I could go on but I don't want this to be a rant about Hasselblad.<br>

I looked hard at the Contax, very well built, but a showpiece now, to slow compared to the competiton for me.<br>

If you shoot landsapes and still life, fine by two or three and get a deal, if not and you want to hook in to a current system that is moving forward try Mamiya but buck up for the AFD II leaps ahead of the AFD.</p>

<p>Steve</p>

• 9 months later...