Koma camera.

<p>I came across a 35mm film Koma camera at an antique market. I do not remember the model.It does not have a hot shoe.Can someone give me any information on these cameras? I'm debating on purchasing it.I have never heard of this company before,but I do know it's made in Japan.I have tried different web sites with little to no help. I want to give it to my Father-in-Law. Thanks guys.</p>

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>Here's a possibillity...</p>

<p>There was a "Komaflex-S" medium format camera made in Japan by a company called Kowa. It had an somewhat unusual 4cm x 4cm frame size.</p>

<p>Kowa's first camera was the Kalloflex introduced in 1954, a 6x6 twin lens reflex model.</p>

<p>Kowa's most well known camera was probably the Kowa Six, which was sometimes nicknamed the poor man's Hassleblad. The company's last model offered was the final version of this camera, called the Kowa Six Super 66, in 1974.</p>

<p>They also made an 8mm movie camera called a Koma-Lux, as well as a variety of accessories for other brands of cameras.</p>

<p>They also made a series of 35mm film cameras from 1960 to 1960, but under the Kowaflex and Kowa names. Some were fixed lens cameras, others had interchangeable lenses. But none of them were named "Koma".</p>

<p>Kowa cameras and other products were often rebranded for sale elsewhere in the world. Their 35mm cameras, for example, sold under the Graflex name in the U.S. for a while.</p>

<p>Lot's more info on Kowa and their cameras at http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Kowa.</p>

<p>Oh, and in Japanese, the word 'koma' means 'frame', as in a single image on a strip of film, 'frames per second', etc.</p>

<p>Thank you Alan. I checked out the link and found a lot of information. I now remember the camera. It was the <strong>Kowa seTr </strong>( not Koma). This camera also came with the huge 4/2oo lens and case. The price was set at $45.00. After reading your reply and the link, I'm now not sure about purchasing it. I'm concerned about the leaf shutter. Going to have to give it some real thought. Thank you for your time.You have been a tremendous help. John P.</p>

• 1 year later...
<p>You shouldn't be concerned, the Leif shutter is what makes it a great camera , although costly to repair if damaged. I hope you ended up purchasing the camera. If not let me know where this store is..lol</p>