Chamonix 45-N1

aaron_wax

<p>"is the whole in the lens board drilled off-center)?"</p>

<p>What answer do you want?</p>

<p>In the case of Linhof Technika boards the hole is bored off the center of the board. But when that board is mounted on the camera the center of the lens is centered on the center of the ground glass.<br>

If the hole on those boards was in the center of the board then the center of the lens would not be centered on the center of the ground glass.<br>

Now which would you prefer?</p>

<p>Bob, maybe Aaron is not familiar with the Linhof lensboard specifications, otherwise he wouldn't have asked, or what do you think?</p>

<p>Aaron, "Linhof Technika" type lensboards have settled a standard which many camera manufacturers follow (4x5 Ebony, Wista, Tachihara, Chaminox, Shen Hao, Walker cameras, to mention a few). The lensboard dimensions are 96 x 99 x 2mm (width, height, thickness).<br>

Linhof itself (and others) make lensboards with center or off-center drilled holes (I've seen center drilled Technika lensboards in the Linhof factory in Munich/Germany in person) but the off-center lensboards are much more common.</p>

<p>One reason to drill the holes off center was mentioned by Bob, assuming all camera manufacturers have their cameras built so that in neutral or zero positions of both camera standards the center of the lens is centered on the center of the ground glass. Knowing the point where the lens is centered on the ground glass helps you to roughly determine the amount of possible movements with a given image circle. However, you always check the ground glass visually for vignetting...</p>

<p>But the main (and obviously less known) reason to drill the shutter holes off center is to gain some extra fall (or rise, by simply turning the lensboard 180 degrees).</p>

<p>A Linhof board for the Technika is not symmetrical so you can't turn it 180°. And we have bored some boards higher then normal so that they can mount properly when using some lenses with large rear cells like a 240mm Apo Sironar S. But other then that reason no Linhof manufactured board for use on a Technika is bored in the center.</p>

<p>And I think he asked as the camera he is interested in uses Technika style boards and he has heard that the Linhof board is bored to match Linhof's "O" position.</p>

<p>No need to change a word from my above answer, maybe a few words to add.</p>

<p>Sure the Linhof Technika lensboards are not symmetrical, having cut corners and little "cuts" at the bottom to fit perfectly into Linhof Technika/Technikardan front standards.<br>

But most other cameras which use Technika style lensboards (as far as I know - maybe there are a few more out there which I don't know) do NOT have oblique but 4 rectangular corners in their front standards so you can easily turn the lensboard 180 degr. (as I do with some lenses on my 4x5 camera from time to time), assuming the back of the lensboard is evenly flat...</p>

<p>...because - - I must admit, some lensboards have circular protrusions on their back to form light traps, some centered (Tachhihara, for example), some not :-)<br>

Those lensboards with off centered protrusions might not be turned 180 degr, depending on the shape (round vs. square or rectangular) and size of the hole in the front standard.</p>

<p>Oh, and there's of course one more important reason why the Linhof people decided to drill their lensboard holes off center: recessed lensboards! (to make space for the controls levers and to give photographers a chance to reach those levers with their fingers...).</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Here <a href="http://www.fotoavventure.it/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=8676&forum=17">http://www.fotoavventure.it/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=8676&forum=17</a> (the link is where is written Qui il link) you find the review of the camera.<br>

Sorry but it's in Italian, but there are a lot of good pictures can help you.</p>

<p>bye</p>

<p>In order for the lens to be centered on the ground glass of the Chamonix 4x5 (and 5x7) cameras when the front standard is in the neutral position, the hole in the lensbord should be centered within the circular light trap - not offset downward like genuine Linhof (or Wista) boards.<br>

<br /> So, when ordering lensboards for the Chamonix cameras, be sure to specify center drilled, not offset.<br>

<br /> Also, beware that some of the inexpensive boards being sold on eBay (most of the ones made in China ironically) are too thick to fit the Chamonix cameras without modification.<br>

<br /> Kerry Thalmann - Really Big Cameras</p>

<p>So, just to confirm, off-center drilled lens boards can not be rotated 180 degrees with the Chamonix camera to provide additional rise? Specifically, the carbon fiber boards sold on their website cannot be rotated for additional rise? So, one is better off purchasing Bromwell technica size center-drilled lens boards?</p>

<p>Aaron,<br>

the lensboards on the Chamonix site look off center drilled, but they make the hole wherever you want it to be, as far as I understand it.<br /> As for additional rise, the Chamonix 45-N1 specs indicate that you'll have plenty of rise and fall movements with this camera for general use. If you're a landscape man (like me) you'll barely need more movements than those offered by this camera.<br>

However, if you want to use an off-center drilled lensboard make sure it has a flat back. Then you can turn it 180 degr.</p>

<p>Kerry, does the Chamonix 45-N1 have alignment points or something like that to indicate neutral positions?</p>

<p>Aaron,</p>

<p>The Chamonix carbon fiber lensboards are center drilled. The hole is centered within the circular light trap. This light trap mates with a circular opening in the front standard of the camera.</p>

<p>The light trap, however, is not perfectly centered on the lensboard. It is slightly below center. In other words the boards are not symmetical, If you turn it upside down, the light trap on the board no longer properly aligns with the opening in the front standard. Even if you could somehow get it to fit and be light tight, the most you'd gain is about 4mm of front rise. The Chamonix has 45mm of front rise - which is pretty generous for a folding wooden camera.</p>

<p>The main appeal of the Chamonix carbon fiber lensboards is the light weight. A high quality metal board, with the hole drilled in the proper location, will work just as well. Just beware that most of the inexpensive Chinese-made boards selling on eBay are too thick to fit the Chamonix without modification.</p>

<p>Kerry Thalmann - Really Big Cameras</p>

<p>Bob, just because the Chamonix can take a Linhof style board doesn't mean the Chamonix is otherwise just like a Linhof camera, nor are all the features on a Linhof board needed on the Chamonix.</p>

<p>Aaron, I just went though this drill (no pun intended) and the suggestion to get center drilled boards is indeed the correct one. Also, if you buy from some of the Chinese dealers, be sure you know the exact dimensions of the board including thickness. My experience is that whether you want a hole for a 0, 1, or 2 sized shutter, the thickness of the boards will vary along with the intended shutter size... which is odd and annoying, since as soon as the boards arrive you realize you have to buy new boards from someone else or make your own.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>Thanks everyone! <br>

I purchased and recieved a Chamonix 45-n1 camera. I tested the camera with different lens boards. What I discovered confirms Kerry's previous statement - the Linhof lens boards only fit the camera in their upright position and cannot be rotated 180 degree to give more rise. The Chamonix's carbon fiber lens boards are center drilled and the portion of the board that creates the lens trap (facing the ground glass) is covered in black felt. I think this is a nice touch as it seems like internal reflections would be reduced - although, I, personally, have never had any problems with internal flair.<br>

My opinion of the camera is that it is an excellent value for the money. I also have a Gowland pocket view which I have used extensively. I love the Gowland, but the Chamonix is almost as light and has some significant advantages. For example, lenses on the Chamonix can be changed without having to take apart the front standard - in my opinion, this is a major improvement over the Gowland. Also, the Chamonix's standards are in alignment when the camera is opened. The Gowland's standards must be aligned each time the camera is assembled or focused because of the use of a round focusing rail instead of a square rail. Having said that, my Gowland has more rise in than the Chamonix. In fact, the Gowland has so much front rise that I can vignette a 72mm Super Angulon XL. All-in-all, though, I think I will stick with the Chamonix, but can 't make a definitive assessment until I receive the Chamonix's wide angle bellows I ordered more than a month ago. When it arrives, I will give you my final opinion.<br>

Best,<br>

Aaron</p>