idea when seeing a set of fastening clips for the Graphic groundglass

for sale on e-bay. These clips apparently also serve as fasteners for

the metal viewing hood. Would it be possible to insert those two

clips (maybe after making four new holes for the screws) in the

Linhof back, to fix the Linhof groundglass at the same time as to

provide support for the Graphic metal viewing hood? Are there clever

mechanics out there in cyberspace who have done this? Or is it

undoable?

I was going to do this for the reasons you mention, but stopped before I did damage to either unit. I decided that even though the graphic focusing hood is more functional than the Linhof, a darkcloth is even better. I usually just pop the Linhof hood off or swing it away (it makes a great GG protector) and use darkcloth instead of hood. A hood is usually not dark enough in outside light and you will need cloth anyway.

Search the archives for darkcloth and you will get some great ideas including a black tee shirt.

Of course it also makes a difference which camera you have.

The III has a different size ground glass then the IV, V and Master Technika

models. The Graphic grounglass is almost the same size as the IV and later

versions.

That means the hood from the III does not fit later versions.

And, after being the Linhof Product Manager since 1980 I have not received

any complaints like yours at all. I have received questions regarding the

material wearing out after several decades. But no one complins about the

hood not staying open far enough. And no one has ever commented on the

DOF scale inside the hood or the dark slide holder on the hood.

Perhaps you might want to check a newer version of the hood - should you

have an older camera (the Master has been available since 1976).

I've seen numerous complaints about the Linhof folding focusing hood. If Bob hasn't heard any I'd suggest he hasn't been listening. I don't know anyone who actually uses one of these things as a viewing/focusing hood. It is, in my opinion and that of many other people, totally useless except as a ground glass protector, which would be o.k. except that it costs around $500. There are two problems with it. First, it doesn't stay open wide enough to be usable unless you hold it open with one hand, which doesn't work because you need two hands for other purposes (e.g. to operate the front tilt function). Second, because it's made of fabric rather than metal, you can't press your face against it to keep out the light, so even if it stayed open (which it doesn't) it wouldn't be very useful because it doesn't keep the ground glass sufficiently dark to see the image except in the brightest light Actually it's almost worse than useless because with the back in the horizontal position it gets in the way of the dark cloth and you end up having to take it completely off the camera to use the dark cloth, then put it back on when you're finished. Oh yes, the fabric also rots or otherwise deteriorates. I have three of the folding focusing hoods, on one from a Tech IV (I think) the fabric has rotted, on another from a Tech V the fabric has pulled away from the metal, and the third (one year old, $500 from B&H) so far is fine (as a ground glass protector). Linhof Technikas are wonderful cameras in many ways but this particular accessory could use some reworking.

hmm,

had no problems with mine. and as far as i can tell, it's original to the cam(late super 3 ver 5?). a previous owner neglected to fold it properly so it's a little mishapened but it opens wide. s'got a little tear in one corner too. still, i'd prefer it to be made of metal like the graphic. like brian says, it's a damned fine gg protector. useful only in broad daylight. we discussed it a few years ago...

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0038zx