24L TS..what do I look for..

m._scott_clay1

<p>Happy New Years All!<br>

My first lens purchase/barter of the year will be a Canon 24L TS. I'm trading another lens for it and want to know if there is anything in particular I need to check on/in the lens since it's used.<br>

I've played with a new one at my local camera store so I know how tight it should be, but I've never actually used one. I know they are difficult to use and there is a learning curve, but I'm up for the challenge. Is there anything other than tilt, shift, rotation and focus I need to test on a used TS lens?<br>

Thanks,<br>

Scott</p>

<p>Make sure that the tilt and shift mechinism's work smoothly, that the barrel rotates smoothly, and that the little twisty things tighten up firm.<br>

Just basically try every knob and switch to make sure that it works properly.</p>

<p>I own several other brand T-S lenses, and I agree, you want it move smooth, not tight or bind through the range of adjustments and lock into a position easily and securily. After that check the lens and lens mount. And then try it on a camera.</p>

<p>They're not a hard lens to learn to use because you have shift and tilt perpendicular to the shift (or rotated by a service repair shop) and you can rotate the whole lens. As for the learning curve, there are two general schools, one is learn the <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scheimpflug_principle">Scheimpflug Rule</a>, which is easily to calcluate in many situations (I use a two-page cheat sheet, tape measure, protractor and cheap calculator when I want to actually calculate it). or you can simply see and make the adjustments.</p>

<p>It's easier with these lenses than with a 4x5 camera, but the trick is that it only takes a few degrees of tilt and it's easy to move the focus plane in or out of the place you want. You just have to keep track of the full screen. Good luck. </p>