Your experience with alternative focusing screens

ken schwarz

<p>Anyone have experience using the Ee-S screen on the 5D? (This is the one that makes it easier to discriminate focus with fast lenses. Please also comment if you've used such a screen on other Canon models.) Does it really help? Canon doesn't recommend it for use with slower lenses, I know, but how bad is it with f/4 lenses such as the 24-105 or the 70-200 zooms? How about the f/4 70-200 with the 1.4x teleconverter? Thanks!</p>

<p>Let me start by saying I'm not a fan of the stock focusing screen in the Canon line. While the stock screens are the cleanest and probably the fastest for AF, they boring and unhelpful for MF.<br>

I prefer a split screen with prism ring if possible. </p>

<p>I have and use a EeS for critical manual focus applications like fine portraiture when I have unlimited time and some critical macro work that does not require deep DOF. But I don't leave this screen in all the time as it is difficult to use with F4 or slower lenses. </p>

<p>I keep a EcB screen in my 5D and my EOS 1 all the time and have completely abandoned the stock screens for these bodies. The EcB is for film bodies but someone ( I forget who ) grinds them down so the tabs fit a 5D and thats' what I use. Canon does not make a split/prism screen for thier bodies. Shame, they're realy missing the boat for those of us who do traditional photography and prefer to make exposure and focus decisons for ourselves instead of letting the camera decide all the time.</p>

<p>I also swapped out the stock screen in my 30D for a katz eye version with split screen.</p>

<p>I agree with Bob on this if you are using non Canon MF lenses the Ee-S screen is a must even with a focus confirm adaptor. I use this type screen on my 40D with good results. At the moment I am waiting for stock for my 5D II. Canon should redesign the standard screen for better micro definition.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Yes! Ee-S is permanently in my 5D. With it, my eye is as least as good as focus confirm, even at (perhaps especially at) f/1.2. I've been non-Canon MF lenses a lot since I got it. Despite Canon's claim that it's for f/2.8 and brighter lenses it helps a great deal with the TS-E 24mm f/3.5. You'll notice that the viewfinder is darker with the 17-40mm f/4L and 24-105mm f/4L IS, but not enough darker to want to switch screens to use the darker lenses. Haven't tried manually focusing with f/4 lenses, however. It's only $35, so give it a shot. Also, it comes with the little tool that makes it easy and safe to pop out your focus screen and clean it -- which is nice every couple of months.</p>

<p>Well, here's an alternative point of view on the Ee-S screen, which is that I found it fine with f/2 and faster lenses, but I don't like it at f/2.8 and find it unacceptable with lenses slower than that. Because it works on a similar principle to microprisms, it darkens very rapidly with lenses slower than its design specification, unlike more conventional screens that degrade relatively gracefully.</p>

<p>You will notice that Canon provide separate CF settings on the 5D (Ee screens), 40D and 50D (Ef screens) and 5DII (Eg screens) for the Type D (grid) screens and the Type A (standard) screens, despite stating in some literature that they differ only in the presence or absence of grid lines. Switching between the Type A and Type D settings does make a small adjustment to the metering. I don't for one moment believe that the grid lines alone can make any significant difference to the metering, and I think the difference may be like that between the otherwise identical Ec-N (standard for the EOS-3) and Ec-CIII screens (standard for the EOS-1v and for at least some of the 1D series). The Ec-N has less 'bite' for manual focusing but is slightly brighter relative to the Ec-CIII. I have put Type D screens in both my 5D and my 50D. I like them anyhow, and find that they work well for MF with slower lenses.</p>

<p>The Ee-S screen is also permanently in my 5D since all but one of my lenses are f2.8 or faster. The only problem with it, as known, is with the 17-40mm f4 lens which I don't use with the 5D anymore (now on the EOS-1N). I hate any center focusing mechanism and this screen is great for seeing and focusing anywhere in the whole image.</p>

<p>I've had an Ee-S in my 5D for a couple months now. It does help focus, not as dramatically as I expected, but enough to make it worth having. I use it to tweak focus, mostly for portraits, on the 85/1.8 and 70-200/2.8. I also shoot a lot with the 24-105/4, and it's darker, but not unusable. However, sometimes I use a LensBaby at 5.6 or 8, and that is very dark. If I have an extensive LensBaby session, I'll switch back to the old screen. Switching screens is fairly quick and easy, so it shouldn't be a big deal. If you switch the screen, remember you also have to switch the custom function for screen type, or the light meter will be off.</p>