Minolta A5...A superb sleeper!

<p>They usually go for pretty cheap since most people ignore them. The AL always sells for more because it's a somewhat known quantity, whereas the A5 isn't. I don't remember what I paid for mine, but it wasn't more than $20. In fact I think it was $19.95 and I believe I was the only bidder. This one was worth every penny especially since it's the 1/1000s model. I think I paid about $10 for the 1/500s model. I saw a couple of them currently listed, but they're both in the UK.</p>

• 9 months later...
  • 5 years later...
<p>Great review. I am a long term follower of this site and belong to the genre of photographers who don't fit either of the terms amateur or professional! Just a passionate spectator of this art and science. Like you I was stunned by the quality of the Minolta A 5. I bought one from ebay for a few bucks and was astonished at the workmanship. It was in near mint condition and just needed the light seal replacements. I used a regular sticky foam and did nothing else to the superb machine. A roll of film (400) came in handy and wow, I just couldn't believe that this device still works as it would have done 50 years ago! I could hardly find an equivalent machine that I came across in the plastic/electronic era that did this feat! What an amalgamation of fine craftsmanship and materials (metal and glass). The pictures came out in amazing clarity excepting for a few which turned out black because I forgot to take the lens cap off (years of living amidst computers does this to common sense;) What a sense of freshness not to have batteries, cables, computers and the money-monger computer and communication companies that came along with me, everytime I took my digital junk. Now I could enjoy pure photography with the Minolta A 5 and a roll of film. They just dont make things like the Minolta A 5 anymore!</p>