40d not firing 580EX flash

francie_baltazar

<p>So I am looking to my friends on Photo.net for some advise before calling Canon... I was using my 40d on Christmas day and my flash just stopped working - I thought I had maybe disabled it... but that was not it... so here is what I have done to trouble shoot.<br>

1. checked the flash out on my other camera - it's firing fine.<br>

2. cleaned the connections<br>

3. changed all batteries<br>

4. changed CF card<br>

5. reset the camera to it orginal settings - I almost threw up when I did this as I had put a lot of custom functions in the camera<br>

What I have not tried is another flash on my camera as my back up flash is in the shop...<br>

Any suggestions I might try would be helpful - thanks, francie</p>

<p>580EX the original, or II? If the original, and you checked/cleaned connections and checked the plate on the hotshoe as per the article Mark sites, it is something more serious, and you probably need to send it in.</p>

<p>If it is the II version, the flash can shut down if it thinks you're using it abusing it by firing a lot of flashes in a row without giving the flash a chance to rest. Or, sometimes the built up weather sealing around the foot can affect connections. If not, again, you need to send it in. I assume the flash is still not firing?</p>

<p>And did you reset the flash to original settings?</p>

<p>I had a similar problem with my 20D and my 550 EX flash. Cleaning the contacts with an eraser didn't help. Somewhere I read that alchohol should be used to clean the contacts. I had isopropyl alchohol in the medicine cabinet and some Q-tips. It worked! When the problem recurred I returned to my previous regimen - first the eraser ( no help), then the alchohol which worked again. I consider my problem solved. Give it a try.</p>

<p>Of course if the flash works on another camera, it's not a problem with the flash. It's either poor contact, as above, or some internal camera fault. Bets are still high for a contact problem.<br>

Have you tried it in different camera exposure modes? Flash might be automatically disabled if you are shoot at too high a shutter speed or if automatic settings interpret the scene as not appropriate for flash. Try flash manual mode and camera all-manual exposure settings.<br>

Dave</p>

<p>Okay so here is where I am - I have cleaned the contacts and it still doesn't fire - however, last night I got it to fire once... go figure... the camera is not recognizing that the flash is there - or that it is on a non canon body because it only show TTL not ETTL - I am going to try Mark's suggestion - but have to get to the hardware store the the jewlers screwdriver... I think that may be the problem.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>Just a final update - my baby is going to Canon for repair - I tired all the above plus some other stuff I found on the web - can take my flash apart and put it back together and it still works - but the 40D won't fire a flash - not any of mine or anyone elses - so it's going in for repair - canon thinks it's a short in the body... thanks for the advise... learned a lot...</p>