Rolleiflex 2.8C shutter won't fire...

gary_gumanow

<p>I've probably shot about 200 rolls through my Rolleiflex 2.8C with Planar and now the shutter won't fire. It fires correctly maybe every fourth time. I am not doing anything abnormal. The film is loaded correctly. If I push it in, push it in, push it in... maybe four or eight times then it will fire. <br /><br />Without film in the camera and going through all the shutter speeds it seems to work, then doesn't. The button goes in, but just comes out. If I do this even with film in, I can then advance the film but the shutter doesn't release. <br /><br />I've got about four more days of shooting time on vacation and really want to figure this out before I run out of time. <br /><br />HELP... what could be causing this? HELP!<br /><br />Oh... I got my Rollei CLA'd in August just after buying it.</p>

<p>I don't think it is something you can figure out and then fix. I think it has to go in for repair. I am guessing the repairman you sent it to before wasn't Harry Fleenor or Krimar. In fact I had a very similar story about a 3.5 F I sent to a local guy for CLA and in less than a year the shutter would only fire intermittently. Though the camera I had would seem to fire every time when I got the film back it only was going about a third of the time. A routine CLA from Harry Fleenor fixed the problem.<br>

Dennis</p>

<p>Mark Hansen of Classic Camera in Portland did the CLA right after I bought it from the original owner (1953 2.8C w/Planar). The camera seemed to be in great shape when I purchased it and I didn't know whether it needed a CLA, but I thought it best to have it cleaned and time checked.<br>

Thanks for your response. I will be bringing it in when I get back from vacation for sure. Thanks for your recommendation. I will look up Harry Fleenor. What is his turn around time like?<br>

Gary</p>

<p>Assuming the camera was properly cleaned and lubricated it may just need a bit of fine tuning on the adjustment part. Winding the crank forward will transport the film. Winding the crank backward should cock the shutter. What may happen is that cranking all the way back is not always completing the cocking process. In case the shutter is not fully cocked it is in fact un-cocked and cannot be released. That would only involve in a minor adjustment to the winding/cocking mechanism. The problem is one needs to disassemble the camera again.<br>

I feel you should have a warranty on the CLA for this kind of a problem. The CLA was only a few months ago and your camera should work properly for years to come. I would first contact the repair shop that did the CLA and discuss the problem. In a decent world your camera should be fixed free of charge. Off course I cannot be sure this is the problem for I do not know what was done during CLA. That would not change my view on warranty. Depending on the outcome of the discussion decide how to proceed.<br>

While on holiday I would suggest to pay attention to the backward swing of the crank. A swift decisive swing back may be better than a slow hesitating movement to give the cocking mechanism the necessary impulse to complete the cocking process, but do not force things. Good luck.<br>

Ferdi.</p>

<p>Thanks all! I should say that I am not slamming Mark in anyway. He did a great job on my camera and appreciated his quick turn around before a trip to Mexico City. Mark contacted me today and he offerred to take a look at it for free. I am grateful to Mark for the work he has done.<br>

I appreciate your responses to my questions. I shot with it today and it seemed to work fine. The shutter fired consistenly over four rolls of 120.<br>

I will continue to shoot with my Rolleiflex until it stops working again. Thanks again for all of your responses.</p>

<p>It seems the camera is in for a visit to the doctor. I might not have a very scientific explanation or answer to this, but try to fire the shutter with a cable release and it might work. It happened to me once with my Yashica Mat 124G and it worked with the cable release but the normal shutter release button would not work.<br>

Of course I had to get it repaired though it was nothing serious just a minor adjustment.</p>