digital companion for F6

robert_stark1

<p >I use a Nikon F6, usually with black and white film (ISO 125), and have no desire to switch to digital. Nonetheless, there are times when I want color or when I am shooting in low light so think it would be good to have a digital camera on hand (while it is possible with the F6 to switch mid-roll between rolls of film, it is impracticable). Please understand that I am not seeking a digital camera comparable to the F6. I am not a professional photographer and the big interest for prints will remain the black and white images from the F6.</p>

<p >Currently, I'm considering buying the D40 or D60. I think the D90 is more than I need right now and I also like the idea of having a relatively small SLR so as not to be overly burdened, especially when carrying the film camera and lenses (all primes). I thought of buying a small point-and-shoot camera but I would like to be able to use my lenses on the digital.<br /> <br /> Given my purpose, does anyone have thoughts about the D40 or D60? The difference in price is not compelling to me, given that I plan on keeping it for more than a year. I have read numerous reviews and discussions comparing the two, but I'd like to hear from those who still primarily use film cameras but carry a digital for the flexibility or for when they want minimal baggage.<br /> <br /> Thank you very much.</p>

<p>The D300/D700 would be your best bet if you're used to an F6. The other lesser cameras will not be familiar and somewhat cumbersome to use. Plus the D300/D700 will probably last for 5-10 years whereas the other cameras aren't built to the same standards.</p>

<p ><em>"Please understand that I am not seeking a digital camera comparable to the F6."</em></p>

<p > <br>

<br /> If you're primarily interested in light and small, with the ability to use your current Nikon lenses then it's simply a matter of seeing which one of the Nikon bodies has the best combination of size and compatibility. Otherwise you are into camera with smaller sensors and loss of image quality at higher iso settings.</p>

<p>Robert I'm a B&W film shooter (Leica M) and recently bought my first dSLR, a Fujifilm S5 Pro (A Nikon D200 with a Fuji sensor) for color shots. Cost was £419 from the UK (about $550 at the time). I bought the Fuji because of the film-like dynamic range of the output. There is nothing like it for the price.</p>

<p>Another possibility for you is to use chromogenic C-41 film like Ilford XP2 in your F6. You can move all over the ISO map with that film on one roll and the pictures come out fine if the processing is correct. XP2 is digital film! :-)</p>

<p>A D60 with a kit lens is a good choice but unless your other lenses are AF-S, it won't autofocus. With the 18-55 it is very compact and image uality is great IMO. ON the other hand, I have recently purchased a D-LUX 4 as a "companion" if I do not want to lug around much weight and while it won't match any DSLR, quality is very decent. It comes with a 3 year extended warranty.</p>

<p>Robert,<br>

Are you familiar with the digital crop factor?<br>

With the exception of the D3/D3x and D700, Nikon DSLRs will make all your lenses behave as though they were 50% longer.<br>

Depending on your lenses and your proclivities, this could be a drawback or an advantage.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, there is no perfectly equivalent DSLR. The D3 offers the same viewfinder view, and its full frame, but its monoque body makes it much larger than an F6. The D700 does not have a nice a display of information inside the viewfinder, especially in manual, and it does not have 100% frame coverage. Its smaller than a D3, but the ergonomics are not that of the F6. I eventually, settled on a D300 for its price point. Its a good camera, but every time I pick up the F6 I just wish Nikon had put a sensor in that body. The F6 and D300 combo gives me good options for full frame and crop, so its a versatile set up at a good price point.<br>

Well, maybe Fuji will license the F6 inards for its next iteration of Dslr.<br>

Anthony</p>

I do something quite similar in that most of my film shooting these days is Plus X and Tri X in either an F2 or F4. If you want something small-ish but that supports ALL of the AF lenses I'd go with a D200 or 300. Below that you have to keep track of what works with what. The 200/300 and up will work with anything AI and forward and are well priced, well built and capable. Smaller and lighter but with most of the same abilities would be a D50 which I find I like very much. Rick H.

<p>the D40/D60 decision probably comes down to which one is newer, and therefore probably slightly better, the D60. I agree that the D90 is the best move though, as it will autofocus with the prime lenses. If you do have older, MF lenses, the d200 is the next one up that will meter with them, and if you dont want to deal with the digital crop factor and want a camera that is great at high ISO shooting, the D700 is absolutely incredible. Obviously there are a few steps above and below and inbetween, but thats a brief rundown... now its just a matter of deciding whats important.</p>

<p>John:</p>

<p>The biggest issues for me with the D700 viewfinder is the lack of 100% coverage, and the meter in manual mode. The F6 and the D3 series have a nice large manual display on the right side of the viewfinder with 3 stops measurement +-. The D300 and D700 only show two stops. I know you can work around this by using the Lcd screen, etc. But, its a personal preference when looking through the camera for me.</p>

<p>Anthony</p>

<p>Thank you all for your helpful and thoughtful responses. I'm embarrased to say that I had been assuming my lenses were new enough (how quickly time passes) to work on the D40 and D60 but when I looked at the lens markings, I noted again that they are all AFD lenses, not AFS. So, I will have to decide if I would be happy enough manually focusing when not using the kit lens. Photographing my 4 and 6 year old children in motion would surely test (improve) my capabilities -- certainly many photographers have managed this.<br>

<br /> The D700 would be marvelous except for the price and weight -- naturally, I would love to have a "full frame" sensor so that my lenses would be the same for both the digital and film cameras (I do understand the "crop" factor). The suggestion of the Fuji S5 Pro Digital is an interesting one but I'm using points from my credit card toward the purchase and the store doesn't offer the Fuji S5 nor the out-of-production Nikon D50 and D70 and the Fuji F30.<br /> <br /> Although I initially stated that the D90 was more than I needed, I think Ellis Vener might be spot on.</p>

<p>Right, the D40 and D60 can only AF with AF-S (including AF-I) lenses. Moreover, they have a fairly poor viewfinder and only one command dial. If you are used to the F6 with two command dials, it may be very difficult to get use to the consumer-grade D40 and D60. But that is something only you can decide for yourself.</p>

<p>If the D700 is too expensive for you, I too would check out the D300 or D90. The D300 will give you better AF capabilities.</p>

<p>Robert, I'm almost in your situation. I use two F4s for black & white (my photographic passion) and last September I bought a D80 in order to take those ocasional color/digital shots. It focuses all my AF-D prime lenses and works like a charm. It's small, light and cheap these days. I bought it with a kit lens for 595 Euros. In my opinion, it's exactly what you're looking for.</p>

<p><em>The suggestion of the Fuji S5 Pro Digital is an interesting one but I'm using points from my credit card toward the purchase and the store doesn't offer the Fuji S5 nor the out-of-production Nikon D50 and D70 and the Fuji F30.</em></p>

<p>Robert, the S5 is currently selling at £434.99 at Calumet in the UK. That's $638 at today's exchange rate. The same camera is $880 at B&H today. You buy it from the UK and you save $242 off the discount US price, less $5 for a Fuji US power cord to plug into the power brick. That is $237 plus your CC points toward a quality zoom like the Nikkor 17-55/f2.8. See the link below, and if you buy insist on Royal Mail postal delivery:</p>

<p>http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/item/331-501A/</p>