lens cap keeper??

azn137

<p>My pockets invariably contain fluff. Caps are great at avoiding physical damange to a lens, but they hardly ever prevent fluff/dust getting on it ... consequently I find caps generally ain't necessary during a 'shoot' if a sensible hood is fitted and I have a 'lipstick' brush to hand.</p>

<p>Nevertheless, to avoid losses I attach a thin elasticated thread to the caps (and some expensive, but insecure, hoods too). There's a big loop on the end that can be hooked up to something on the camera, or elsewhere. Half-millimetre elastic thread costs just pennies per metre, and only requires a tiny hole to be made in a cap/hood in order to fit it. The commercial versions are fine, too.</p>

<p>When I pull my camera out of the bag, the lens cap gets dropped in the bag and the lens hood goes on the lens. If I'm out walking with my son, I might take the lens cap and if I do, it goes in a pocket - but most of the time I just leave it in my bag.<br>

I find the P&S cameras with the little string for the lens cap annoying - I'd think it would be more annoying on a DSLR with a larger lens cap dangling.</p>

<p>When I pull my camera out of the bag, the lens cap gets dropped in the bag and the lens hood goes on the lens. If I'm out walking with my son, I might take the lens cap and if I do, it goes in a pocket - but most of the time I just leave it in my bag.<br>

I find the P&S cameras with the little string for the lens cap annoying - I'd think it would be more annoying on a DSLR with a larger lens cap dangling.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I have a stick-on gizmo with an elastic that goes around the lens. While it's a pain, I, too, would lose the cap in my pocket (done that over the years). Too bad no one follows Sony's example (e.g. F828, DSC S-70) - the cap has the 'string' attached and it attaches to a 'clip' on the neckstrap. The best feature is the string can be pulled through the clip, snugging the cap up against the strap - no dangling, no 'pendulum' effect, no losing the cap. I haven't been able to find anything like that for my D300 cap - I'm thinking of moving it from my S-70 and modifying the 72mm cap to accommodate it. If anyone knows of the existence of something similar for the Nikon, let me/us know!<br>

Best regards</p>