Filters and hood for 80mm CF

david_waugh3

<p>Hi there,<br>

I have been trying to find a B60 Grad ND filter and lens hood for my 80mm CF. The only thing I can seem to find is a B60 to 67mm adapter and a generic hood. I have seen one <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com.au/120-Format-Camera-Lens-Hood-67mm_W0QQitemZ350132131752QQihZ022QQcategoryZ161455QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262#ebayphotohosting">here</a>. Has anyone else used something similar? I guess I am wondering if the size would be an issue with light fall-off... certainly seems similar in size to the Hasselbald one.<br>

With the 67mm then I can just buy any old filters :-) Would there be an issue leaving the B60-67mm adapter on permanently on the lens? Also, I assume 67mm would be the best size v 62? <br>

Thank you very much. Have a happy new year!<br>

David</p>

<p> </p>

<p>David,</p>

<p>The Hasselblad hood fits the outer bayonet of the lens, and isn't bothered by what you do to the inner bayonet. As long as it will fit over what's in the inner bayonet.<br>

The Bayonet 60 filters are the same size as (standard) 67 mm filters (so yes: 67 mm is the size to go for).<br>

So the Hasselblad hood should indeed fit over the adapter and any 67 mm filter. No need to try a generic, 67 mm screw in hood.</p>

<p>There's no reason why you couldn't leave the adapter on permanently, except that the front lens cap will no longer fit.</p>

<p>Best wishes to you too.</p>

<p>Camera Exchange in Melbourne should have second hand B60 lens hoods. Alas they are still pricey even second hand! I think around AU$100 - yikes!</p>

<p>How much is the Chinese copy of screw-on square hood? Even if the hood becomes too long and causing vignetting, surely you can use sand paper. My concern is more of the corners of the hood not lining up with the camera/film. Again, there'll be tricks to make it work like paper shim or else.</p>

<p>The advantage of using Hasselblad hood is that you can leave the hood on and put the lens cap on.</p>

<p>For that kind of money, Ilkka, you can get perfectly good used original hoods (i paid US$25 for a pristine original Hasselblad bayonet 60 100-250 hood not long ago).</p>

<p>These Chinese copies go for about US$8, plus about the same for shipping globally (see, for instance, auction number 200291271984 on that big auction site).<br />Mind you: the only good thing that can be said for them is that the material is opaque, so it works.<br />The plastic used is soft, breaks/crumbles easily. And the fit is lousy.</p>

<p>P.S.<br>

Chinese lens caps are even cheaper.</p>

<p>It's amazing the discrepancy for Hasselblad accessories. I've seen B60 hoods go for anything between $20 and @250! Your advice QG makes a lot of sense of course - always better to buy original if possible. Just seems much harder outside of the US at the moment. If our dollar was better there'd be no issue :-)</p>

<p>"These Chinese copies go for about US$8...The plastic used is soft, breaks/crumbles easily. And the fit is lousy."</p>

<p>There must be at least two kinds of Chinese lens hoods. The ones I have, for 80 and 150, are very well made from hard plastic and virtually indistinguishable from an original Hasselblad hood that I also have (for 38). They fit well and tightly to the outer bayonet. I agree that I would rather get a pristine original but I could not find one at reasonable price and decided to try these instead of paying much more for a new original, or similar price for a very used up original.</p>