Is Giottos Tripod good?

john_lee39

<p>I need one tripod leg for about $150. I fold two these I like, one is Bogen 055XPROB at $150 before new year ,other one is Giottos MT-9261 at $140 with free monopod. Giottos load 17 lbs, Bogen load 15 lbs. Leg lock type, Giottos is twist, Bogen is flip. Both most the same high. So which one do you like? How about Giottos tripod leg?<br>

Thanks!</p>

<p>Tripods are as much a matter of individual taste as anything in photography. I suggest you go to a nearby dealer and try them out. I prefer flip locks, but many prefer twist or some other kind of leg extension lock. Some don't mind bending over to look through the camera, if it means a smaller unit to carry. I can't "stand" short tripods. On and on it goes, so you really need to try some and see.</p>

<p>Some of the Giottos have a tilting arrangement for the center column. This one doesn't. So the potential is that you might find the "horizontal" setting for the Bogen to be convenient at times. The twist leg locks aren't quite as fast in use as the flip locks - I have both a Giottos GB-4180 (with the older "twisting" locks which are somewhat less conveneient than the newer anti-twist types) and a Bogen 725b. With flip locks you can unlock and drop leg sections easily, with the twist types, you have to work against internal air pressure so they don't extend or retract without extra help.</p>

<p>Of these two, I'd probably go with the Bogen as it has the center section layout possibility and the slight added convenience of the flip locks. If you wnat or need a monopod and the "free" one is satisfactory, you might find it inviting as well. It really is a personal preference matter as I don't think the height/capacity differences are that great in use.</p>