Lighting subjects against a black background...

charlie_star

<p>Hey there<br /> <br /> I'm very new to studio lighting and am planning on producing a number of portraits of people in uniform.<br /> <br /> I know EXACTLY how I want them lit, which is like this !...<br /> <a href="http://www.designboom.com/tools/WPro/images/11n/dt3.jpg" target="_blank">http://www.designboom.com/tools/WPro/images/11n/dt3.jpg</a> <br /> <br /> <br /> Gorgeously lit, almost 'confronting', standing out from a black background.<br /> <br /> However, I have no idea how to go abouts creating this !...<br /> <br /> If anyone has any advice eg. lighting kit type, distance between subject and background, how to get that background so black etc I would be very grateful... I really am studio naive !<br /> <br /> Thanks very much for your time, yours gratefully</p>

<p>It's difficult to determine how your sample is lit, because there is no face to see shadows upon.<br>

In general, full length portraits require large light sources, larger than the subject, therefore a large softbox or similar, or if using natural light a large north facing window.</p>

<p>In general, portraits are taken with a slightly longer than normal lens, so for full length portraits on a typical crop-format DSLR a 50-60 mm focal length is suitable. So you will need about 15 feet between the camera and the subject.</p>

<p>If you use a black velvet backdrop, you can put the subject close to the b/g because velvet does not reflect much light, but if you are using a black muslin or similar, you will need to put the subject 5-8 feet from the b/g to avoid having to fix the black background in post processing.</p>

<p>I suggest doing some reading before buying anything. Check out the "Studio" heading under the Learning tab at the top of this page, and read "Light - Science & Magic"</p>

<p>Effective studio lighting is all about light control, so you need to learn what light produces the effect you want, then how to control the light to produce that effect. Much practice is required to get good at it.</p>

<p><Chas></p>