Dilemma....D700 or D300

miklos_altorjay

<p>Miklos, I had that exact choice to make a week ago, after selling my D200 body – even down to a very similar lens collection (35-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 50 f 1.4 and 105 VR micro).<br />I'm a wildlife and landscape shooter, so both the DX crop factor and the FX wide-angle abilities would have benefits for my photography. Unfortunately they aren't both available in the same body... So after spending 45 minutes in the store handling both bodies and running off some test shots, tempting as it was I just couldn't justify the additional cost of the D700.<br />I'm now a happy D300 owner, and have $1300 earmarked for a 17-55 f2.8. No regrets. Perhaps in another couple of years, the premium for a full frame body will have disappeared and I can re-evaluate my priorities at that time.</p>

<p>Althought I hear it is a great camera, I did not own the D300. I did just trade up from my trusty D80 to a new D700. I had to sell all my DX stuff to get the price down to something reasonable, but I can honestly say that it is the best money I've ever spent on a camera. The D80 was great place for me to continue learning on, but from what I've seen, the D700 will give me lots, and lots, and lots of room to grow. <br>

The package is fantastic as well. Even my average pics (most) shot in 14bit capture so much more than my D80 ever did. Finally, everything I read about the stunning ISO capability seems to be true. After some experimenting, I have set up my Auto ISO program to run up to 1600 without letting me know. Once I get home from traveling and download my latest shots, I may bump it up to 2000 if the noise levels are as low as what I see on the monitor. <br>

I'm sure some of my facination with the D700 comes from the fact that I'm a pilot and I really enjoy working with a perfectly put together machine. The D700 seems to be just that -- really, really well thought out and satisfying.</p>

<p>The idea of full frame vs. dx has kept me using nice digicams and not DSLRs until now. The D700 is what I have been waiting for, and is to me worth the extra money. Your 35-70 walk around lens will feel very familiar with the D700. YMMV</p>